16" Wheel / front hub motor

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
This is always another option that I often forget about a Crystalyte 209.
A little heavy but silent.
Yeah ... twice as heavy! ... however, it may tie in nicely with my C2W plan. There is a Dahon electric bike available via Evans (you know about my C2W plan dont you? i.e. get an electric bike I dont want and use the electrics. The point being I dont need the cash and can pay monthly over a year...

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Maybe I should just forget the hub idea and go the Bosch route. Maybe Evans will do them and I can get one, take it to bits and put that on my Street Machine .. I may need so help with that! ..

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I've got a DAPUSH motor and am hoping to get it built into a 16" wheel. I took it into Evans who had told me they could and then had another look and told me they couldn't. Umm.. I was not happy but in my happy go lucky way I avoided the confrontation. I dont know why. Dont care. Could be they can't be arsed..
Does anyone know how I can get a 16" RIM and spokes for this motor?

I got some pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62987613@N03/sets/72157626737193275/

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Have a word with St Johns Cycles, they do an excellent job of wheel building as a number of members have experienced, and they are happy to do it with hub motors. They also stock a huge range of short spokes. Here's the SJS contact page

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Have a word with St Johns Cycles, they do an excellent job of wheel building as a number of members have experienced, and they are happy to do it with hub motors. They also stock a huge range of short spokes. Here's the SJS contact page
Thanks Flecc - I may get some sleep now! ...

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Flecc, I expect Evans would do the build if I provided the rim and the spokes which brings me to the dreaded "spoke length calculation" ... Do I need to get the technical specification of the DAPUSH I have or can the measurements be done with a tape measure?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Speak to SJS, they can recommend and supply the Rim, spokes and pattern to use. They have experience of building using hub motors, I'd rather trust them than Evans TBH.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Speak to SJS, they can recommend and supply the Rim, spokes and pattern to use. They have experience of building using hub motors, I'd rather trust them than Evans TBH.
ok. I was going to try and get the Rim and spokes and then ask Evans to build the wheel. But, looks like a trip to Bridgewater in reqd. I'll phone them and book myself in.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You will need the specification, but a tape measure would be rather inaccurate for this purpose. There are some online calculators for this purpose once you have the hub size details, but I don't know if they will go far enough to get down to the 16" size so it might have to be the tape. With such a small rim there wouldn't be many build pattern options.

This is the web page for the British made short length spokes that SJS stock and you'll see the shortest is 120 mm, going up in 2 mm steps. From photos of the Dapush I've seen I guess that would be ok, but if not, it would have to be special lengths.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
You will need the specification, but a tape measure would be rather inaccurate for this purpose. There are some online calculators for this purpose once you have the hub size details, but I don't know if they will go far enough to get down to the 16" size so it might have to be the tape. With such a small rim there wouldn't be many build pattern options.

This is the web page for the British made short length spokes that SJS stock and you'll see the shortest is 120 mm, going up in 2 mm steps. From photos of the Dapush I've seen I guess that would be ok, but if not, it would have to be special lengths.
Just been to retrieve my hub from Evans and talked to Tom. He was worried about the spoke length and talked about the difficulty of lacing a 3 or 4 cross pattern. If in doubt dont build it! .. which is fair enough. I shook his hand and bid him farewell. He recommended this spoke calculator:
Sapim Race spokes and nipples

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Just been to retrieve my hub from Evans and talked to Tom. He was worried about the spoke length and talked about the difficulty of lacing a 3 or 4 cross pattern. If in doubt dont build it! .. which is fair enough. I shook his hand and bid him farewell. He recommended this spoke calculator:
Sapim Race spokes and nipples
4 Cross! No wonder they wouldn't do it :p Take it to somebody who knows how...

Here's Jerry's thread from 2009 on his wheel self build...1 cross is more than enough, see page 6.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/5090-wheel-building-tongxin-brompton-wheel.html#post64437

Last edited:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
4 Cross! No wonder they wouldn't do it :p Take it to somebody who knows how...

Here's Jerry's thread from 2009 on his wheel self build...1 cross is more than enough, see page 6.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/5090-wheel-building-tongxin-brompton-wheel.html#post64437
Thanks for reminder ... I see that daniel.weck has built 16" Bafang and Tongxin wheels which have 112mm and 118mm spokes.. I need to do some measuring! >.. I suspect the spokes will be closer to the Bafang.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales

Just looked at daniel.weck's thread and looks like I'm going to need specials ... Tongxin 118mm, Bafang 112mm, ....I'll check with SJS to see if they can do specials ...

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Ah! sorry everyone I seem to have resurrected an old thread! .. I mean't to post what I just posted there .. umm ..here ..

Just measured my Dapush and its about 118mm (thats using a tape measure and 2 nitting needles!) ..
So the Dapush is bigger than the Tongxin and smaller than the Bafang. Does that sound right?

Last edited:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Used the spoke calculator and got 115 mm as an answer. Seems reasonable although my measuring was very rough ... Could play it safe and order packs of 114,115 and 116 mm and use the ones I dont use for tent pegs. Of course, someone may have had this brainwave already. Anyone got any spokes of this size that I can try on a sale or return basis?

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales

vhfman

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2008
Hi Alan, surely the DAPUSH motor hub is 36 hole? Better double check the hole count before you order, hope you have the correct rim. I wonder what size spokes the hub is designed for 14G or 13G? If you order the spokes get some spares and make sure you get brass nipples as well.

Good luck with the wheel build Alan. I have just built the 8Fun BPM motor in a 26" rim, using custom Sapim Strong spokes 13/14G butted. Unfortunately I had to get them from the USA.

Chris

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Sorry to be thick ... what do I do exactly to order my 32 spokes?
Click on items for sale perhaps ;) underneath the silhouette on the left....