17mph only 500w wheel

xeikon

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 21, 2014
north east uk
Hi, i bought a voilimart front wheel 500w conversion via ebay. It seems to work fine. With a 36v 15ah battery.

But i have had the two blue wires arrached thinking thats the restriction, it went about 17mph. But when i unplug this wire.. no difference in speed, the same 17mph.

Any ideas, Or is that it speed wise?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Is that with the wheel off the ground or riding on the road up a hill with a heavyweight rider onboard?
Is it with the pedal sensor, throttle or both?

xeikon

Sep 21, 2014
north east uk
Its riding on a flat surface.. and yes im a bit tubby..

Also what im not sure about is why with wire attached or not attached istill get the same mph.

I have both pedal sensor and thumb throttle attached.. but when i pedal i get no help from the motor,only thumb throttle seems to work.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It sounds like you haven't installed the pedal sensor correctly, explained in your other thread.

You have to test the speed restriction with the wheel in the air to see if it makes a difference. The question is whether the controller is cutting off the power or whether you only have enough power to reach 17 mph with you on the bike? A no-load test will give the answer, then we can say what you have to do to improve it.

xeikon

Sep 21, 2014
north east uk
The problem i have there is thati m using my phone as the speedo.. so i cant tell how fast im going with no load.

Btw i was as greybike owner as well, albeit the CBR400 side.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The problem i have there is thati m using my phone as the speedo.. so i cant tell how fast im going with no load.

Btw i was as greybike owner as well, albeit the CBR400 side.
Get a cycle computer from Tescos for about £10 or Ebay for £3, otherwise I can't help you..

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Show a link to the kit you bought.
17mph may be it's ultimate speed not due to the RPM winding but the controller programming.

xeikon

Sep 21, 2014
north east uk
Hi, i will try and get a cycle computer as soon as possible.

The kit i got was from ebay.. item.. 223553124225

I contacted the seller and he just told me to unplug the blue wires, which i already tried.. he also told me to send a picture of the wheel number, which i will do.

The controller gives 250v to 700v on the sticker. And from what i can see its the same as this one.. ebay item.. 223617485428

And as mentioned im using a 36v 15ah battery.. ebay item.. 113752678079

Otherwise i have no idea, thanks for the comments.

xeikon

Sep 21, 2014
north east uk
Just to update this.

Im now getting the quoted 22mph as mentioned in the advert for the kit.

I have done nothing but re-charged the battery. So no idea what changed.

It will go up most inclines and hills but i sometimes have to help it along. Even then its no sweat from me.

Out of interest i used three different ways of calulating speed..

My new Cateye v7, 206 wheel
My android phone running
Ulysee speedo app
And
The Cateye Cycling app.

Results varied, but not much.
V7 22.9
Ulysee 22.2
Cat app 22.1

But i am happy the bike has passed that 17mph limit, even though i dont know why.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Maybe the battery wasn't charged properly to full before ?

xeikon

Sep 21, 2014
north east uk
Maybe the battery wasn't charged properly to full before ?
Well it was the first time i charged it, too the green light..

I didnt have time to test it until yesterday, after a recharge. So maybe it had a bearing, im unsure.
It does work fine now.

I even got to 24mph this morning.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The green light doesn't necessarily mean a battery is fully charged, it an indication that one or more cell groups has reached 4.2v. Only a proper voltage reading can confirm the voltage.
With a BMS fitted part charging or short charging creates more issues then it solves unless it is a smart BMS that is programmable.

xeikon

Sep 21, 2014
north east uk
The green light doesn't necessarily mean a battery is fully charged, it an indication that one or more cell groups has reached 4.2v. Only a proper voltage reading can confirm the voltage.
With a BMS fitted part charging or short charging creates more issues then it solves unless it is a smart BMS that is programmable.
Thanks for the reply. But honestly i have no idea of all this electrickery.. i just wait until i see a green light then i assume its charged.

The battery is a 36v 15ah and supposed to have cicuits built in for overloading etc..

But it does say in the manual that it takes a few charges to reach peak power.

Im trying to see what distance i will get out of it before re-charge. But as work is only 3 miles way i wont get into the teens until i get home tomorrow. 19 would be ideal as i would have enough for 3 days before recharging.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
36v 15ah I would expect 40+ miles if it is not used in high power mode all the time.
With batteries/charging you can never assume, the only way of knowing something for sure is by using a multimeter.

xeikon

Sep 21, 2014
north east uk
Coming home from work this morning i noticed the handlebar lights dipped to half way (orange) when full power was applied, on hilly sections.

I am using the thumb throttle all the time, even to pull away.. Mainly because iwant to see where the limits are. Although occasionally i do peddle either to bring it upto speed or that helping foot as a boost up a hill.

When i was younger i would have thrashed past the speeds of this bike with ease, just on peddle power. Without breaking into a sweat. Sadly im old and cant do that any more, so this is the future.. for me.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Throttle will use full power all the time, the light bar dipping is battery (voltage ) sag.
Sag is noticeable when a heavy load is asked of the battery, when that load is eased the voltage sag rebounds a little. Sag is a normal noticeable feature of ebikes with a light bar or voltage readout.

If we all could be in our teens again then we wouldn't need ebikes.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Throttle will use full power all the time, the light bar dipping is battery (voltage ) sag.
Sag is noticeable when a heavy load is asked of the battery, when that load is eased the voltage sag rebounds a little. Sag is a normal noticeable feature of ebikes with a light bar or voltage readout.

If we all could be in our teens again then we wouldn't need ebikes.
Absolutely.
Of course I don't know all xeikon's details and environment, but I'd suggest just using the throttle for hills, starting from scratch at busy junctions, and if you are really tired. You'll certainly get much more range and more exercise, and you will probably get more enjoyment too.

xeikon

Sep 21, 2014
north east uk
Absolutely.
Of course I don't know all xeikon's details and environment, but I'd suggest just using the throttle for hills, starting from scratch at busy junctions, and if you are really tired. You'll certainly get much more range and more exercise, and you will probably get more enjoyment too.
Actually im peddling more than i expected, and i do try to balance it, for instance, down hills i can peddle faster or slow speeds i dont use it.. then we have busy junctions its a welcome bonus, but thats more down to using cheap peddles on the bike and no toeclips like i used to use. Its so much easier to throttle away, regain composure and sort your feet out. Thats down to not being on a bike for years..