1st Build With Reclaimed Batteries

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
@Bonzo Banana I agree with your assessment of the current crop of BBC "journalists". They wouldn't know how to handle a real news story if they walked straight into a bank robbery. Their journalism is definitely not even handed and impartial any more.
I do take issue with your assertion that none of the BBC's operations represent good value for the taxpayers pounds. The foreign broadcast service does not cost a great deal compared with the kudos we receive as a nation and the value placed upon it by millions of overseas listeners.
I also agree with @flecc, I for one am happy to pay my licence fee for the BBC in support of a national broadcaster without inane advertising (apart from their own self-promotions which are equally annoying).
The BBC has lost it's way but it is not unrecoverable and I hope in years to come proper investagative journalism without presenters just interminably parroting the government's sound bites in response to the opposing side's representative's point of view will eventually result in better, less biased presenters on the BBC.
Incidentally, totally agree with your remarks on Thatcher, she was evil incarnate.
Tony
I don't disagree with your point about the world service but have no idea what it costs or how it should be funded. If someone can make the case that it has a very positive effect on the UK's reputation and it is worth that cost then so be it. My main point about the BBC is that it should be funded by those that use the service. Most of the BBC's output is general entertainment and people should have a choice whether to pay that and if they don't pay that it shouldn't mean they are restricted in how they use their own TV equipment when accessing other services like itv or ch4 not funded by the tv license. It's about being fair because general TV entertainment should not be a compulsory tax.

A quick look online has this;

£1.13 a month or about 10% of the license fee goes on the world service. If the BBC is getting about £4 billion in funding then about £400 million is being spent on the world service per year. That seems excessive to me especially as its a service funded by those who pay a license fee but would not use that service I wouldn't of thought mostly. When I googled how the tv license fee is spent you are bombarded by propeganda by the TV licensing authority but in the past there was information that a small but significant portion of the tv license was being used to pay for the pension shortfall at the BBC. That information is not easy to find by googling.

Everytime I look into the BBC I can't help hating the organisation from its excessive pay and inefficiencies to its propeganda regarding its services. I honestly can't see the BBC surviving in a commercial environment without a radical overhaul on costs and management.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Everytime I look into the BBC I can't help hating the organisation from its excessive pay and inefficiencies to its propeganda regarding its services. I honestly can't see the BBC surviving in a commercial environment without a radical overhaul on costs and management.
They dont pay excessively but do have to compete. Independent TV pays far more, that's how they always steal every good program idea the Beeb have. Bake off was the latest one, a copy show with the two main presenters, Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry, bribed away for far more money from both pay and advertising.

The BBC will never have to survive in a commercial environment since it is not and never will be a commercial channel. Fortunately for the 95% of us who support the BBC by being willing to pay for it.

Reactions: Bikes4two

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
BBC Studios, the commercial arm of Britain's public broadcaster, has marked record growth for 2021/22 with profits up 50% year-on-year to £226 million ($267 million) and sales up 30% to £1.63 billion. The past financial year marks the first time the business has topped £200 million in profits.12 Jul 2022

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
BBC Studios, the commercial arm of Britain's public broadcaster, has marked record growth for 2021/22 with profits up 50% year-on-year to £226 million ($267 million) and sales up 30% to £1.63 billion. The past financial year marks the first time the business has topped £200 million in profits.12 Jul 2022
£226 million of profit is under 5% of what the BBC currently needs to run.

I repeat, they have no hope of ever being a commercial broadcaster, without abandoning what they are suppose to do under their charter.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bbc studios is a private company for profit.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no they make programmes and sell them to the bbc and pay the big bucks to there presenters so they dont have to tell you how much they get paid as you cant foi bbc studios.

As set out in section 6(1)(b)(ii) of the Act, our subsidiaries (including BBC Studioworks Limited,
UKTV, BBC Global News Ltd and BBC Studios Ltd), as well as the charities BBC Media Action
and BBC Children in Need, are not subject to the Act. Therefore information regarding their
activities is also not subject to the Act.

In addition to this, BBC America is part of BBC Studios Ltd. For more information on BBC
America please follow this link to their website:

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I'm the original poster of this thread, so has anyone bought batteries from cell supply then?

Someone way up thread (before the thread hijack) mentioned that it'd be necessary to balance reclaimed batteries but I'd have thought you'd do this even for new ones.

Anyway I've now got the balancer mentioned, so I'm near to making a purchase decision.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
no they make programmes and sell them to the bbc and pay the big bucks to there presenters so they dont have to tell you how much they get paid as you cant foi bbc studios.

As set out in section 6(1)(b)(ii) of the Act, our subsidiaries (including BBC Studioworks Limited,
UKTV, BBC Global News Ltd and BBC Studios Ltd), as well as the charities BBC Media Action
and BBC Children in Need, are not subject to the Act. Therefore information regarding their
activities is also not subject to the Act.

In addition to this, BBC America is part of BBC Studios Ltd. For more information on BBC
America please follow this link to their website:

Around a quarter of the BBC's revenue comes from its commercial subsidiary BBC Studios (formerly BBC Worldwide), which sells BBC programmes and services internationally and also distributes the BBC's international 24-hour English-language news services BBC World News, and from BBC.com, provided by BBC Global News Ltd. In 2009, the company was awarded the Queen's Award for Enterprise in recognition of its international achievements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC

The Beeb fetches in some £5 billions with under £4 billions from the licence fee. The rest comes in from the profits of the above organisations.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
problem is ppl are stopping paying it as ppl my age dont even watch any of it as i can stream everything for free online when the bloody links works.

it is only a matter of time now there finished as ppl just wont pay it.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
I don't disagree with your point about the world service but have no idea what it costs or how it should be funded. If someone can make the case that it has a very positive effect on the UK's reputation and it is worth that cost then so be it. My main point about the BBC is that it should be funded by those that use the service. Most of the BBC's output is general entertainment and people should have a choice whether to pay that and if they don't pay that it shouldn't mean they are restricted in how they use their own TV equipment when accessing other services like itv or ch4 not funded by the tv license. It's about being fair because general TV entertainment should not be a compulsory tax.

A quick look online has this;

£1.13 a month or about 10% of the license fee goes on the world service. If the BBC is getting about £4 billion in funding then about £400 million is being spent on the world service per year. That seems excessive to me especially as its a service funded by those who pay a license fee but would not use that service I wouldn't of thought mostly. When I googled how the tv license fee is spent you are bombarded by propeganda by the TV licensing authority but in the past there was information that a small but significant portion of the tv license was being used to pay for the pension shortfall at the BBC. That information is not easy to find by googling.

You should not hate the BBC. It performs a function in our society that most other countries are envious of and many have attempted to emulate.
The news arm has lost it's way recently (since the referendum in 2016) with blatantly partisan views expressed as news and biased presenters, but that doesn't negate all the brilliant stuff it does too.

I am more than happy to pay my licence fee, but I also agree that a portion of it should only apply to those who actually watch the off-air and iPlayer programmes, and not to those who do not, and use their equipment to stream IP stations etc. The part of the fee that is allocated to the world service should come from general taxation revenue, and not from the licence fee which should be applied just to those who watch BBC programmes.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I'm the original poster of this thread, so has anyone bought batteries from cell supply then?

Someone way up thread (before the thread hijack) mentioned that it'd be necessary to balance reclaimed batteries but I'd have thought you'd do this even for new ones.

Any

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
They dont pay excessively but do have to compete. Independent TV pays far more, that's how they always steal every good program idea the Beeb have. Bake off was the latest one, a copy show with the two main presenters, Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry, bribed away for far more money from both pay and advertising.

The BBC will never have to survive in a commercial environment since it is not and never will be a commercial channel. Fortunately for the 95% of us who support the BBC by being willing to pay for it.
Where is your data to support independent tv pays more and there is 95% support for the BBC?

Again when you look for data you are swamped with nonsense from tv licensing and the BBC when you google but a few polls show the reality.

The majority don't want the TV license and don't want to fund the BBC. That's why its the fair and democratic solution to withdraw funding and let the BBC survive commercially if it can.

Also BBC studios has been mentioned and a huge amount of income there is basically selling programmes that were paid for by the TV license of the past. On face value you could see BBC Studios as well run and efficient but that is not the reality they basically get to sell past content as well as make some new content.

Reactions: Az.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Where is your data to support independent tv pays more and there is 95% support for the BBC?
I've told you that independent TV has consistently stolen people and shows from the BBC over very many years. They haven't moved for less money, they moved for more, just like the latest two I quoted. You can go back as far as the 1950s and '60s when ITV and ATV poached Benny Hill from the BBC by bribing with more money, it's always been true.

Events too, independent TV pays far more the the BBC can afford so the Beeb often loses major sporting events like the Premier League and Formula 1. So they get left with only highlights they are only allowed to broadcast during late night hours.

And around 95% still pay the TV licence so obviously don't object strongly enough to paying to fund the BBC, even if they don't actually love it. I don't buy your argument that they don't know they don't have to, that has been widely publicised for years. They just like the convenience of watching TV on air and in any case ALL of them do watch some BBC output , just as you have done.

I'm sure that most of them, like me, consider £157 to access a year of all on air TV and Radio content and the I-Player is a bargain.

And finally why are you arguing this when you aren't paying? Others can make their own minds up, they don't need some sort of crusading knight and as you've seen in this thread's opposition, dont want one either.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the iplayer is a rip off as like i said can stream every film and tv show and live sports streams for free over the net or use a vpn and stream from another country the bbc is like a expensive useless fossil that ppl my age dont even use.

https://unblock_it.gitlab.io/site/

and yet no matter how hard they try to get court orders to take there domain names and sites down they just change them the same day as the ruling and are back up again in hours pmsl. :p

Reactions: Az.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the iplayer is a rip off as like i said can stream every film and tv show and live sports streams for free over the net or use a vpn and stream from another country
I'm not stopping you doing that and not paying for a licence, so why are you so against those like me who do want to to pay and access the Beeb?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
because no one should be forced to pay for a tv channel these days they have bbc studios that is a ltd company that makes profit from the license fee.

most ppl in prison for not paying it are women as a easy target because when you stop paying it they send round the mob and get you to sign the paperwork they use to get you fined in the first place at court and then when you dont pat the court fine thats what puts you in prison and get a free tv to watch in there.

if ppl want to pay for it then that's fine but to force ppl to pay it if they use it or not is like a mafia pay up or else.

but as time goes on and less ppl pay it each year they will want to up the fee to cover this so at what point will you say you wont pay it either like 120 a month.

just get one of these every year and still watch it for free :p

and if they bang on the door say you wont sign anything record them on ur phone and watch them run away id pay for that but they come out free of charge lmfao.

• Disagree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
because no one should be forced to pay for a tv channel these days they have bbc studios that is a ltd company that makes profit from the license fee.
Rubbish, no-one has to pay as BonzoBanana has shown. It is an option that most of us prefer to take.

BBC Studios does not make a profit from the licence fee. As part of the BBC Group all the money goes back into the BBC to the tune of well over a billion every year. Internally it's just paper accounting with no money ever moving.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yet you cant foi bbc studios as it is a private limited company for profit same as children in need ect.

like the sega mega drive and myspace ect its time will come and still not paid the electric bill in 11 years go work that one out ;)

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I've told you that independent TV has consistently stolen people and shows from the BBC over very many years. They haven't moved for less money, they moved for more, just like the latest two I quoted. You can go back as far as the 1950s and '60s when ITV and ATV poached Benny Hill from the BBC by bribing with more money, it's always been true.

Events too, independent TV pays far more the the BBC can afford so the Beeb often loses major sporting events like the Premier League and Formula 1. So they get left with only highlights they are only allowed to broadcast during late night hours.

And around 95% still pay the TV licence so obviously don't object strongly enough to paying to fund the BBC, even if they don't actually love it. I don't buy your argument that they don't know they don't have to, that has been widely publicised for years. They just like the convenience of watching TV on air and in any case ALL of them do watch some BBC output , just as you have done.

I'm sure that most of them, like me, consider £157 to access a year of all on air TV and Radio content and the I-Player is a bargain.

And finally why are you arguing this when you aren't paying? Others can make their own minds up, they don't need some sort of crusading knight and as you've seen in this thread's opposition, dont want one either.
There was a sky news presenter who moved to the BBC with a huge pay increase and some of the BBC wages are astronimical and make no sense at all like Zoe Ball. However I have to agree with you with regards the past wage situation. I too remember when ITV stole from the BBC but that was a long time ago when advertising revenue was huge and ITV had lots of money. They don't have that nowadays, advertising revenue is much reduced compared to the old days. I would say now the BBC pays more. However its a mute point as commercial companies can pay what they like because they have that right as independent commercial companies. It's different for the BBC they are financed by forced subscriptions so how they use money should be fair and not excessive. I personally think wage differentials in this country are far too high. In many countries they are nowhere near as excessive.

Of course many people pay the license fee because they want access to live tv and that doesn't have to be the BBC.

I don't think 95% of homes do have a tv license it makes no sense with the huge amount of people who have stopped buying a tv license and that has been going on for quite a number of years and last year was around 2 million homes who gave it up. There are 25 million homes approx and there must be at least 5 million homes no longer paying. Recently in parliament they were discussing moving the funding as an additional council tax payment. They wouldn't be doing that if there wasn't a crisis in tv licensing. Of course you can't find solid information on how many homes are no longer licensed online maybe because that will make it seem acceptable to others to stop. I stopped about 4 years ago and I certainly wasn't an early person to stop the tv license.

If you exclude all the other years and just add last years 2 million homes into the mix. 2 out of 25 is 8% of homes not 5%. There is something deeply wrong with the manipulative propeganda figures the BBC and TV licensing is giving out. I don't believe their information is truthful based on other data.