2011 Powabykes

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
Hi
Just seen this press release ref' 2011 Powabyke X-6 LS. New model or just rearranged? Not sure however the price is right. Battery appears still to be the same as ther 2010 model.

Still, it deserves a look!
Regards
vectra :)

Powabyke's all new X-byke, the redeveloped X-6 LS, is now ready for the trade. The six gear LS or 'low step through' model has always been a popular choice with dealers and riders for its ease of use and no-nonsense approach to usability.

The new bike is one of three new updated X-byke models, the others being the X-24 and the X-6 but it is the LS which is the most highly sought after. Although low-step-through design is often associated with Ladies bikes, the Powabyke LS is classed as a unisex model and it has increasing popularity with the male gender, following the European trend.

The re-designed model looks stunning in a retro polished chrome finish and the sleek cylindrical battery has been repositioned from the original location on the frame to tuck behind the seat under the rear rack so as not to impede the effectiveness of the step-through design. Other improvements include suspension forks for a smoother ride and a height adjustable seat that gives the rider the equivalent of three ranges of bike frame.

The new model features improved electrics and a plug and play throttle and sensor, a slim-line lightweight high torque brushless motor and the bike weighs under 23kg meaning it can be carried up steps without too much effort. The performance and reliability of this new model is heralded by the company as a major achievement. It will set the bar in terms of quality in the design.

"The new X-6 LS bike design is really a reaction to customer demand," commented Nick Child, MD at Powabyke. "The low step though design is obviously very popular with our European customers but it is increasingly in demand in the UK and not just for female riders. The bike uses the same 'tried & tested' parts as our other X-bykes but now benefits from the battery slung under the rear rack, that really improves the lines of the bike without upsetting the centre of gravity. We have had such a good response to XLS the first container arriving in a few weeks time is virtually pre-sold!"

The X-6 LS is easy to use. You simply turn a key to switch on the motor, turn the pedals over and twist the throttle on the handlebars and away you go! The bike can reach speeds of 15 mph without assistance from the pedals, and if you do engage in pedaling some of the time the battery can stay charged for up to 20 miles. The X-6 LS is available with a 15 inch frame and the SRP is £899.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
They'll try anything to sell step-thru's in this country :p It wont work, they have always been known as ladies bikes, and indeed were designed like that for riding in long skirts originally. Handling and ridgidity is compromised too, there's good reason the traditional diamond frame refuses to go away, its the best design. If you look at quality womens specific road/hybrid/mountain bikes these days then you tend to find they have a crossbar too, because women rarely ride in skirts (even if some of us think they should ;) ). Women's specific design typically now means a smaller frame with a shorter reach to the handlebars.

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
They'll try anything to sell step-thru's in this country :p It wont work, they have always been known as ladies bikes, and indeed were designed like that for riding in long skirts originally. Handling and ridgidity is compromised too, there's good reason the traditional diamond frame refuses to go away, its the best design. If you look at quality womens specific road/hybrid/mountain bikes these days then you tend to find they have a crossbar too, because women rarely ride in skirts (even if some of us think they should ;) ). Women's specific design typically now means a smaller frame with a shorter reach to the handlebars.
I accept your points to a degree however the market for step throughs appears to be a significant one hence we have to accept that a stepthrough is on many peoples wanted list for example my wife.

I certainly wouldn't dismiss this model out of hand........many don't

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Sorry Streethawk but I'm with vectra on this one.

Having both read and heard about frame flex on step-thru bikes, I can only say that I have never felt uneasy about it when riding my "girly" electric bike. The reason, I suspect, is that with great sprung forks at the front and a suspended gel saddle, any frame flex is disguised if indeed there is any worth talking about on normal road surfaces.

My other 3 bikes all have crossbars but again, two of those are full-sus mountain bikes and the other is a tourer with sprung front forks and the seemingly de-rigueur, squidgy saddle like my ebike. All in all, I can't say I've noticed any worrying frame flex when on the ebike. Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough to notice?

Indalo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good designs don't flex, the Agattu being a good example where either version feels the same on the road.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Nor does my wifes wisper 705 SE flex.......Its a cracking powerful bike

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I suppose a step through design would also suit someone who has difficulty in getting their leg over.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I suppose a step through design would also suit someone who has difficulty in getting their leg over.
The step-through design seems to be more appealing to those who are perhaps less confident cyclists too, particularly when it comes to road use..as you can get on and off much more quickly.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Ahh..... so that's where I am going wrong! :D

D
Whooooa. More cream nurse!

Joking apart, even though I have a diamond frame, I'd have no objections to riding a step through, they offer a few advantages over a traditional crossbar bike.

Last edited:

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
You can't get an Agattu that's not a step through now, all 2011 models are step through, i probably had the last one at the end of December with a bit of money knocked off for the run out :(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You can't get an Agattu that's not a step through now, all 2011 models are step through
All Agattu models are still in the Kalkhoff range as you'll see below, step-through and crossbar, in 3, 7 and 8 gear versions, plus the Front hub-motor model F. Since the overall range is so large, 50cycles have probably needed to restrict the variants they bring in:

Kalkhoff e-bikes 2011 range

brian6636@talktalk.net

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 8, 2008
Have just bought a new 2011 Powabyke X6 LS, and have sold my Kalkhoff Agattu as it was too large. First impressions of X6 LS is that it is easier to ride and faster than Agattu, but the small 6AH battery expired after 8 mls whilst the Agattu would cover 25 on one charge. Have returned the battery to factory and now have 2 new batteries to take on holiday. The X6 is much lighter than the Agattu and the gears make it easier to ride without power. The center stand is not very stable and I will have to change it to a prop stand.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Have just bought a new 2011 Powabyke X6 LS, and have sold my Kalkhoff Agattu as it was too large. First impressions of X6 LS is that it is easier to ride and faster than Agattu, but the small 6AH battery expired after 8 mls whilst the Agattu would cover 25 on one charge. Have returned the battery to factory and now have 2 new batteries to take on holiday. The X6 is much lighter than the Agattu and the gears make it easier to ride without power. The center stand is not very stable and I will have to change it to a prop stand.
Nice to find someone who has a Powerbyke. Where did you get it from? I know a number of people who are looking at getting a Powerbyke from Evans and would be interested to see how the support works.

brian6636@talktalk.net

Nov 8, 2008
Nice to find someone who has a Powerbyke. Where did you get it from? I know a number of people who are looking at getting a Powerbyke from Evans and would be interested to see how the support works.
I bought the bike from Grandprix Scooters for £840 in Northampton and have had excellent Service, but I bought a spare battery foe £274 as I need at least 15 mls distance . Has anyone had experience of trhe X6 with the 6ah battery ?

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I bought the bike from Grandprix Scooters for £840 in Northampton and have had excellent Service, but I bought a spare battery foe £274 as I need at least 15 mls distance . Has anyone had experience of trhe X6 with the 6ah battery ?
Yeah,, find out more about the battery. Perhaps it needs conditioning. Was that 8 miles all uphill? I'm sure some of the battery experts will have some questions for you or already know the answers.

rayschooks

Mar 22, 2011
Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh. NI
My local bike shop has a powabyke X6 on display. I had a brief look at it, seems like a decent well built bike but I dismissed it as the battery range is way too low. The quote is "Up to 20 miles" but in real terms the distance would be much less on the road.
To achieve a decent range the owner would have to buy a second battery @ approx £270 meaning that the final cost would be around £1100

Not necessarily a prohibitive price but the hassle of having to lug a second battery about would definitely put me off.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes, try a full discharge / recharge cycle to reset the BMS fuel gauge. 8 miles works out at 27Wh / mile on a 6Ah / 36v battery which is very high for bike like this if not used on hills.