2017 E-Silence EVO

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No I wouldn't, poor rear frame geometry for no good reason.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Tim,
What was the reason to go with the Alfine 11 in lieu of the Nuvinci. A commercial decision or other?

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
We hope to have one at the NEC Cycle Show. Should know for sure next week.

We've gone for the 11-speed Alfine rather than the NuVinci

Sorry for hijacking the thread,but as Tim is proudly displaying forth coming stock in his 50cycles shops have you now dropped Kalkhoff due to really bad reliability problems your customers are having.???

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
On the contrary, we're selling more Kalkhoff than ever and have put in a very large order for 2017 Kalkhoff e-bikes.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
No I wouldn't, poor rear frame geometry for no good reason.
I agree someone got mixed up and put the top tube too high and the seat stay too low in total contradiction with basic geometry. Gustave Eiffel is turning in his grave! :)

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree someone got mixed up and put the top tube too high and the seat stay too low in total contradiction with basic geometry. Gustave Eiffel is turning in his grave! :)
And that's without even mentioning the carrier that's only supported at the rear, cantilever fashion!

The trouble with style based e-bikes is the £1000 added per engineering rule broken. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ted B.

Pedelecer
May 28, 2016
Guildford
On the contrary, we're selling more Kalkhoff than ever and have put in a very large order for 2017 Kalkhoff e-bikes.
One may wonder why 50 Cycles will no longer be the exclusive UK reseller then, and why 50 Cycles is now diversifying to many other makes...

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm looking at the rack and something doesn't look right. I hope that the mudguard is strong and stiff otherwise the weld on the frame is not going to last too long. If they had a sensible frame design, like Flecc suggested, they could've fixed the front of the rack to the frame. I agree that styling/fashion has been given precedence over functional design. Maybe the rack isn't supposed to be functional as a rack, but instead is a stylised mudguard stay.

Another thing: I can't see a join in the frame to get the belt off. There must be one somewhere to put the belt on in the first place. How does it work?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Another thing: I can't see a join in the frame to get the belt off. There must be one somewhere to put the belt on in the first place. How does it work?
this picture shows how this is done:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I thought I saw a join about 1/2 " to the right of the right M6 allen bolt.
I may be wrong, it can be a weld, not a join.
The chain side support for the rack seems like capable of hiding the join.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

The only thing I can see is that thing at the top that looks a bit like a strap with an axial bolt into the seat-stay, but it's not clear in the photo.

In the 45 deg on photo, there appears to be a join just below where the rack is fixed on the seat-stay. maybe there's a bolt on the inside.

Last edited by a moderator:

countarthur

Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Wales
I'm looking forward to seeing the 2017 models :)
I understand that the Kalkhoff 2017 models will have an improved motor in that there have been modifications to current Evo motor and I'm told bearings will be larger. I read something some time ago on one of the sites that the bearings were not big enough?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thought I saw a join about 1/2 " to the right of the right M6 allen bolt.
I may be wrong, it can be a weld, not a join.
The chain side support for the rack seems like capable of hiding the join.
The chainstay spreads wide and flatter at the front, so it may have two bolts hidden behind the chainwheel, enabling enough spread there to pass a belt though. It would mean removing the chainwheel to fit a belt, but given their very long life that's not a big problem.

Not a roadside job though!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think the screws at the dropout hold a removable plate. The photo isn't showing the joins.