23 miles for a sandwich...

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yesterday was such a glorious day (as is today in fact) I ended up completing my longest single journey to date. 23 miles is a fair old distance just to get a sandwich for lunch and I hadn’t planned on going that far but I got a bit carried away! Anyhow, it was worthwhile as I wanted to test out a new 9T motor sprocket on the Proconnect S to see if it would give more range and besides it was a glorious day!

Total distance travelled was 46.1 miles and I was aching at the end and very glad to get home, however, the results of the 9T test where a little disappointing. I had travelled 16 miles from my start point to Princes Risborough in Oxfordshire and must have chosen the hilliest route possible. It seemed like a constant 16mile climb and by the time I got to Princes Risborough two of the five battery lights had already gone out.

This was bad news as it’s the sort of distance I get using the 11T motor sprocket which gives me about a 40 mile range using the Economy setting on the Proconnect...I was in two minds, should I turn back or try to go further...The weather was so good and I knew the National Cycle route 57 ran to Thame as I was planning on riding it later in the year so.....as I was here I thought it would be rude of me not to carry onto Thame! I would have to conserve power though so I switched the assistance off and picked up the route (called the Phoenix Trail) just outside of the town.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/assets/files/leaflets/Phoenix_Trail_2007.pdf

The route runs along the old railway line to Thame, it ceased being a passenger carrying line back in 1963 but continued to carry freight (oil in fact) from the BP terminal until 1991. I used to work in Thame about 23 years ago and can remember the line in use as I had to wait on many occasions at the level crossing just outside Thame on the ring road, I was still working there when the line was shut.

To pick up the Trail there’s a short cycle way close to Princes Risborough main line station and just before the trail starts you cross another branch line which curiously had the level crossing gates padlocked.

Turns out this line run to Chinnor and is a heritage railway line. Even though there’s no station at this point there are on-going discussions with Network rail to allow trains to run into Princess Risborough main line station.

Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chinnor & Princes Risborough Railway

Chinnor is thataway!

Here the trail starts. Its condition is good, the weather has been dry for a few days but even so the surface is well maintained and tarmac’d in places.

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
The route is more or less arrow straight to Thame crossing mainly farmland. You can jump off the route at various placed and there is a Pub at Towersey with very easy access should you feel the need for refreshments. Apparently there used to be a station here (Towersey Halt) but theres no sign of it now. To be honest there’s not a whole lot to see apart from some curious sculptures on the top of some poles:

...and a large seat....

Just after the trail starts there are signs of at least one old station now converted into homes, you can just see part of the track in the foreground of the picture towards the left...

I think this was / is called Hinton Crossing but I’m not 100% sure, as its private the route takes a very short detour around the old station and picks up the trail again just beyond some gardens.

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
When you get to Thame you cross the B4012 at the same place where I used to wait in the mornings for the BP train to chug past. Theres still some of the track embedded into the road but it seems its days are numbered as well as it was in the process of being dug up when I got there.

There’s a name stamped on to each sleeper but I didn’t get a better picture or make a note of it. The trail is all tarmac at this point and used by quite a lot of people. A bit further down you come across the old Station...

The station is described in this Wiki article:

Thame railway station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A little bit further down there are jump off points to get into the town, I was amazed at how much residential building work is going on, its been a while since I was last in Thame but on the bike you get time to look around and take everything in, its certainly grown up in 20years. The town seems to be thriving, lots of people about and very busy.
I had covered about 7 miles under my own power and after a good rest and that sandwich (!) I headed back again under my own power.

Now about that 9T sprocket.....The 4th light went out at 43.5 miles and 15 where under my own steam making my consumption approx 7.3Wh / mile, worse than the 11T motor sprocket so I seemed to have gained no advantage in terms of distance, in fact it’s gone backwards! I did find my front tyre was down on pressure (2 Bar instead of 4Bar) but that would not account for the difference, the 11T gives 6.5Wh / Mile.

I also noted a strange affect: As the power ramps down to cutoff I noted that my indicated speed was jumping around by about .5 mph, if it jumped up the motor cut...if it went down it would kick in...I was sure my actual speed was not fluctuation that much or that quickly even though I was getting very tired...the transition from power on to power off was very abrupt as it was the other way so I’m wondering if this pulsing or surge of power took more from the battery than normal.

More importantly what is causing it... I charged the battery overnight and tried the bike again today (surprisingly I felt OK, a touch stiff but not too bad!) and again the transition between on and off was abrupt...I don’t know if the rear wheel speed sensor feeds the speed info back into the Panasonic controller but I adjusted the spoke magnet so it was a bit closer to the pickup sensor and, touch wood, it seems to be a better. If Flecc or Tim are reading this I would value their input...I rode another 15miles again today and the first light went out at 8miles so it would seem the consumption is still the same.

One good thing about the 9T is the three top gears are good cruising gears at 16~17, 18~19 and 20~21mph, the motor giving just a hint of assistance at these speeds. This suits me better than the 11T but I’m disappointed the range has not increased.

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Nice photos, sounds like you had quite an adventure in lovely weather and surroundings! I'm the same as yourself when it comes to going longer distances, I prefer the top gears and maintaining a cruising speed 17-20mph. I put in the effort but when I tire or come to hills, the motor helps keeps the speed up there..

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Is it a Proconnect S or just a normal Proconnect? There is no sensor on the back wheel feeding into the Panasonic system and normally the transistion between powered and unpowered is seemless - it certainly is on my emotion. This is one of the advantages of the Panasonic over the Yamaha system where the cut-off or phase down is much more abrupt.

PS what a lovely ride and great pictures - having to do the London commute everyday this makes me more than jealous.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Brilliant photos from a picturesque ride NRG, thanks for posting it.

I'm sure that posts like this reproduced as publicity material could do wonders in inspiring those uncertain about whether to take up e-biking.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Many thanks for the replies, Harry it's an 'S'....

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Good snaps NRG and I just love the sculptures! That's a lovely part of the country and exactly the kind of trail I like to follow.

The bike looks great and I feel a bit disappointed too that you were unable to report a magical transformation following the change of motor sprocket. I've been toying for some time with changing to a smaller rear sprocket although I was aware that some owners had gone down the route of changing the motor sprocket but I hadn't heard or read much of the effect.

Your report signals to me that my better option would be to go for the smaller rear sprocket to extend the assist cut-off upwards a little and ease the cadence required at 16-18mph. I ride as much as I can unpowered and the battery on my bike is the old 7.2A from 2007/8 which seems to be holding up quite well. As I cannot uprate to a more powerful battery, (not without disproportionate expense anyway) I'll keep my current battery, (oooh!....sorry) and replace like for like when the time comes.

If I were replacing the Gazelle at the present time, the Pro-Connect range would certainly be up near the top of my list.

Regards,
Indalo

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Good post NRG.

A very nice mix of excellent photos and local history. I have always enjoyed riding rural and urban trails such as those featured in your posting.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards
Bob

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
I take it that your 's' has the 18a battery then ? I went out on the same 29 mile ride today as yesterday,from my home towards Clitheroe and then through Downham in Lancashire along the A59, depending on which way the wind is blowing i can get 8.4 or 10.9 miles to the first light going out. But one thing i did notice today was the controller didn't go to 'flash' 3 miles from home like it had been.....roll on summer !....mines the 10a battery. It will be interesting to see what i get from the 18a when it arrives

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
No 10Ah, each light seems to go out after 8miles, the second more or less spot on at 16, then 24 etc...using Eco mode though.

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
Puncture

My memory of that trail dates from several years ago. Immediately after crossing the Eastern Ring Road, where your photo shows the railway lines, I suffered a back wheel puncture from a massive sharp shard of glass.

I did not have any repair kit, but luckily the local rider who was accompanying me was able to ride home and bring a puncture repair kit.

After the repair we proceeded East for 1 to 2 miles till we were due to come off on the road, and return in a loop to Thame. (Both riders on push bikes).

I do remember the odd sculptures pictured in your nice photos.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
No 10Ah, each light seems to go out after 8miles, the second more or less spot on at 16, then 24 etc...using Eco mode though.
i think thats pretty good for an 'S',They only quote up ton 50 with the 18a....One question though,i know the 'S' has upgraded brakes and gears but if you are reducing the motor gear why didn't you get an Agattu and change the motor gear to 11t or 12t and fit a new hub gear like mine.A lot cheaper and the performance can't be that much different ?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I bought it because the price was right ;) :) its also got a bit more power as well.

I must admit though the new PC disc looks the business and it has the 18Ah battery...

Last edited:

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
I hope you have a lot of fun with it, yesterday somebody had the nerve to appear in my mirror so i just put a little more effort in and they disappeared into the distance....ha ha...the power must have broke them :D

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
As a railway enthusiast, I really enjoyed the pics and the history. If my battery had the range I would check it out myself.