250w bafang kit locked down?

ampuk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2023
HI,

New member, I built my own BBS02 750w with a 48 v battery, and programmed with the Speeed App and smoother settings found online, no problems.

A friend has just bought a trike in the UK with a supposedly "250w" motor, 48v battery but the amps seem to be limited to 12, can't increase them.

Also the re programming of the thumb throttle with the speeed app didn't seem to work.

Anyone know if some motors are locked down in the firmware?

Screen shot of settings20230725_145728.jpg attached.

Speed app would not let me increase amps over 12.

Thanks,

Bruce.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
...with a supposedly "250w" motor...
With a supposedly what motor exactly. Some say the BBS02 is now an M315 and a HD an M615... except the BBS uses UART to communicate and the M series use CANbus. I don't know for sure, but I don't think the Speeed or PC app works with the newer M/CANbus versions.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Speed app would not let me increase amps over 12.
@peter.c reported the same:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/bbs01et-vs-dwg22c-for-cargo-bike.44591/#post-669438

Does the programming cable you're using read and write to your own BBS02? If so, that would of course exclude OTP cable and programming cable problems. In my experience, programming cables don't last long.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/bafang-programming-cables-seem-short-lived.45724/

Some say the BBS02 is now an M315
Is that the BBS02B?

"Bafang BBS02B motor bafang 48V750W mid drive kit Bafang M315 conversion kit"

ampuk

Jul 31, 2023
Cable still works fine, reads and writes no problem, from the Speeed app

Just cant change amps, and thumb thrittle also seems unresponsive.

From the firmware and other info in the screenshot, can people tell if it's really a 250w, or a 500w or something else?

Cheers.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
From the firmware and other info in the screenshot, can people tell if it's really a 250w, or a 500w or something else?
Cue Googling - perhaps 250W?

"manufacturer=SZBF
model=SW09
hardwareVersion=2.0
firmwareVersion=1.0.0.4

nominalVoltge=48 "

translation:

https://www-mtberos-com.translate.goog/tema/sorpresa-desagradable-motor-bafang.20796/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

ampuk

Jul 31, 2023
Yeh, I found that and translated it too, not really getting anywhere, but his settings are identical.

It's weird, almost like a rare locked version for some bike suppliers..?

Don't understand why the throttle is so unresponsive too, just like walk mode.

Maybe in comparison to 750w motor it just seems weak?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Don't understand why the throttle is so unresponsive too, just like walk mode.
Perhaps Bafang have limited the throttle to 6km/h for UK legality?

ampuk

Jul 31, 2023
Perhaps Bafang have limited the throttle to 6km/h for UK legality?
Yeh, and somehow hard baked it into the firmware so it can't be changed....?

I showed the screenshot to a reputable UK ebike motor kit supplier, and they said, "No that doesn't look like a 250w motor firmware"...

But were unable or unwilling to help any more as they hadn't supplied the motor.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
It is not a road burner as the BBS02 750watt is, but if you want/ need the legal option and leave the throttle off ,it is ok, not found a way around settings just gave up and just put on another build

The 250watt 12 amps is a locked firmware a special factory order for a German supplier,
Mine is the legal eu version the amps setting in the firmware / controller are locked at 5 power levels
A throttle worked on mine once the setting is changed to amps level 5
Max power is 500watts peak for a very short burst [had to fit a watt meter display as after a 750watt it felt like no assist at first] Power average 100-200watts before it cuts off at speed setting
The battery range is very good even better than a tsdz2

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

ampuk

Jul 31, 2023
It is not a road burner as the BBS02 750watt is, but if you want/ need the legal option and leave the throttle off ,it is ok, not found a way around settings just gave up and just put on another build

The 250watt 12 amps is a locked firmware a special factory order for a German supplier,
Mine is the legal eu version the amps setting in the firmware / controller are locked at 5 power levels
A throttle worked on mine once the setting is changed to amps level 5
Max power is 500watts peak for a very short burst [had to fit a watt meter display as after a 750watt it felt like no assist at first] Power average 100-200watts before it cuts off at speed setting
The battery range is very good even better than a tsdz2

Thanks for that info.

What do you mean by "the setting is changed to amps level 5"?

Thanks again...getting somewhere.

ampuk

Jul 31, 2023
Hi again,

Tried that, but no joy.

The throttle seems to be hard baked at 4mph.

PAS limits have been removed setting each power level to 10/20/30% of current etc and current limit not speed.

Thanks again.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Spotted this open source firmware for BBS02 and BBSHD:

marand

Just Joined
Feb 28, 2024
Hi really sorry to bump an old thread but I have the same issue, did either of the people with this issue figure it out. There is really limited info on this, that this is the only thing coming up on a Google search.
Thanks

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hi really sorry to bump an old thread but I have the same issue, did either of the people with this issue figure it out. There is really limited info on this, that this is the only thing coming up on a Google search.
Thanks
Which issue? Throttle or controller amp limit? If absolutely necessary, why not give this Open Source Firmware a whirl? Not neccessary for the 15A X 36V = 540W firmware unlocked BBS01B on my 20" wheeled folding bike, and I question why 12A X 48V = 576W wouldn't be power enough for whatever bike you have. Is resolving whatever issue you're asking about worth the cost of a new controller if things go south, as might happen when installing new firmware? Your controller could be magically transformed into a brick.

Last edited:

marand

Just Joined
Feb 28, 2024
Which issue? Throttle or controller amp limit? If absolutely necessary, why not give this Open Source Firmware a whirl? Not neccessary for the 15A X 36V = 540W firmware unlocked BBS01B on my 20" wheeled folding bike, and I question why 12A X 48V = 576W wouldn't be power enough for whatever bike you have. Is resolving whatever issue you're asking about worth the cost of a new controller if things go south, as might happen when installing new firmware? Your controller could be magically transformed into a brick.

Thanks for the reply it’s the amp limited to 12a, I’d just never heard of it limited to 12a is all was just curious if others had found a reason for it.