27.5 bad for road use?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Too many hills near me to be peddling a 25kg bike in limp mode.
My 250W Bafang BBS01B converted bike weighs a couple of kg less than that and has no problem getting up steep hills, even while hauling a heavy bike trailer weighing 90kg+ (including trailer weight). I'm not saying it does so quickly, but it gets the job done. If you get a good quality battery, you can increase the amps to 20A (seek advice on the forum first), although I haven't needed to as yet - mine's still set at just 15A on the controller. Your haulage may vary with larger wheels than mine (20"), also if you weigh a lot (I now weigh 64kg, was a few kg heavier during last summer's hill trailer hauling, 3 stones heavier in summer the year before).

Reactions: Kev.k

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Lightweight lol.
I was a fatarse! Doc wasn't happy - he's somewhat cheerier now, isn't insisting I should take statins anymore... but I still might. I'll see after I rid myself of this final 12lbs. This last bit is taking forever to lose.

6'3" brute.
Inches further than me to fall...

Especially this time of year, I find extremely bright lights at home cheer me up - got oodles of lumens in my living room. Looks like a lighthouse from the outside.

Last edited:

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
My 250W Bafang BBS01B converted bike weighs a couple of kg less than that and has no problem getting up steep hills, even while hauling a heavy bike trailer weighing 90kg+ (including trailer weight). I'm not saying it does so quickly, but it gets the job done. If you get a good quality battery, you can increase the amps to 20A (seek advice on the forum first), although I haven't needed to as yet - mine's still set at just 15A on the controller. Your haulage may vary with larger wheels than mine (20"), also if you weigh a lot (I now weigh 64kg, was a few kg heavier during last summer's hill trailer hauling, 3 stones heavier in summer the year before).
Im 5’10” about 75kg.

If I had a bike already I would convert it. Seems easier to buy a ebike. Although nowhere near as easy as I thought.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If I had a bike already I would convert it. Seems easier to buy a ebike. Although nowhere near as easy as I thought.
You could buy a good second hand bike and convert quite quickly, can take less than a couple of hours - mine took a bit longer because the bottom bracket was stuck... old bike from 2006, freaking nightmare to take out. I hadn't seen this forum then (discovered this forum Googling firmware settings for the controller), just followed the video below. My 19.2ah battery is on the rear rack. Big batteries do hills better. Plus thieves are less likely to be interested in a conversion (I think) if the battery isn't attached. Because mine's a folder, I simply take it inside shops workplaces etc. and never leave it locked anywhere, despite having bought locks. A UK road-illegal 750W BBS02 conversion is depicted in the video, same procedure for the legal 250W BBS01b... the connector plugs only fit in one permutation, p*ss easy conversion for the most part. Some people have reported issues with the chainline post conversion (there are alternative chainwheels, such as the Lekkie) - mine's fine, just the normal issues with the chain-guard on the very lowest gear (bit of rubbing and noise, which occasionally needs chainguard adjustment) , which is normal for my particular bike.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kev.k and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Not at all. My only concern with new Bosch is that they are difficult to derestrict. Other than that they seem to be the best from what I’ve read.

Brose would not be my first choice motor, but specialized have a great warranty. I also like their TCU.

Its nowhere near as easy choosing a bike as I thought it would be.
if you like a Bosch motor, then it should not be that difficult to choose. List your parameters and stay away from ebay, you need the service of your dealer to rescue your bike from a limp state so you have to choose first who you want to do business with. Your dealer needs to be bold enough to break the terms with Bosch about derestriction. The Bosch Gen 4 set costs about £1500 on top of the mechanical bike. Set your budget range and choose the frame you like. The last step is to negotiate a deal with your chosen dealer.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
AD0C5ED9-7BF0-498E-AD47-0B47F268B2FD.png
This is my big issue with the bosch. it‘s a deal breaker.

Same attitude as with electric cars. Still think they own it after they have sold it.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is only the smart motors that have become a problem with dongles and they will work just you can never update the software or it will brick it.

you should be still able to get a new bike with the non smart motors and then a dongle wont be a problem but putting a bigger front chain ring might be.

i had to get a update on my bike as changed the motor and display and just said dealer update required every time i turned it on and cost me 30 quid to push a fkn button but i did ask about the 504 error and limp mode and not had 1 bike come in with it and when my bike was plugged in i lifted it up and span the back wheel as never removed the dongle and it could not see it or throw any error codes either.

turned out the batts needed a firmware update as when i put my 2nd batt on it it came back again so had to go back and get that one done a said i aint fkn paying again either.

if they do bring a update that bricks all dongles then ebike shop would not sell them but as they now sell dongles for the smart system he will get all the sales and why he wins every year. :rolleyes:

my bike was from ebike shop but as it was second hand no parts for me as never got it direct from them :mad:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
A neighbour bought a 27.5" bike and found it very difficult to find a new back wheel locally when the hub failed.
Lots of our local bike shops carry 26 & 29/700C wheels in stock, something to think about if you want problems fixed quickly.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
They should not be legally allowed to deny people parts who bought second hand bikes.

I was shocked to see Whyte bikes only give their guarantee to the original owner. I would argue that makes their bikes worth much less than a specialized bike.

I wouldn’t buy one new or used. If you buy new and your circumstances change you lose a fortune selling with no warranty. Used in good condition aren’t much cheaper than new, but you have no warranty.

I seen a clean, low mile 22 E 160 RS for £4200 ono. I was tempted to offer before I knew there was no warranty. You can also buy this bike new now for £5k because the new model is out.

The Haibike I posted for £3k seems like it is a bargain compared to anything else, but I’m staying away from carbon frames.

I will stay away from smart motors the same way I ignore my daily text about having a smart meter installed.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
get this then.

You are only liable for any diminished value of the goods resulting from handling other than what is necessary to establish the nature, characteristics and functioning of the goods. The retail sales value of a used item is generally 60% of the new, unused value. THIS APPLIES EVEN IF A BIKE HAS BEEN RIDDEN ONLY ONCE. Please therefore ensure that the item has not been used at all unless you are likely to receive only 60% of what you paid for it when new.

so if you buy a bike from him dare open the box put the wheels on it and find it is the wrong size you will only get 60% back and that is a breach of trading standards.

tho he does list them 1-2% lower on his site :rolleyes:

so you can have a dongle and warranty but you have to deal with that a$$hole

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
get this then.

You are only liable for any diminished value of the goods resulting from handling other than what is necessary to establish the nature, characteristics and functioning of the goods. The retail sales value of a used item is generally 60% of the new, unused value. THIS APPLIES EVEN IF A BIKE HAS BEEN RIDDEN ONLY ONCE. Please therefore ensure that the item has not been used at all unless you are likely to receive only 60% of what you paid for it when new.

so if you buy a bike from him dare open the box put the wheels on it and find it is the wrong size you will only get 60% back and that is a breach of trading standards.

tho he does list them 1-2% lower on his site :rolleyes:

so you can have a dongle and warranty but you have to deal with that a$$hole
That takes the ****. He wants £1000 more for the Haibike i posted.

Seems like the bike industry has been a gravy train for last few years. Demand has been so high sellers haven’t had to worry about price or customer service.

Once the biggest sellers start reducing prices small independent shops are screwed.

One of Mike Ashley’s stores was the first to reduce that Haibike to £3k from £5k. Big stores can’t pull stunts like giving you 60% of what you paid if you return their goods either.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
when i got my bike not 1 lbs would touch it with a barge poll even now there are only 2 dealers with the bosch software and id not let either of them touch my bike as the new one i went 2 had the electric park tools bike stand 2k and was using the Allen keys that came with the bike to assemble it. :rolleyes:

you might find that there is to much stock to sell at rrp as even cpus and high end gfx cards are coming down in price or catching fire :D

back in 2014 you could get a hard tail from Germany for about 1100 with a bosch motor and now it is 3 times that.

even bikes with price tags of 5k dont even come with decent wheels or groupset anymore as the last few years ebikes have exploded when b4 id hardly even see one and now there everywhere mostly hub motors tho diy.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Everything has been in short supply over the last few years. Ps5 situation has been ridiculous. I’m waiting for the pro now.

There is good discount on many new bikes atm. It’s easy to get tempted but they’re still so expensive for what they are.

Im going to go into Evans to have a look at frame sizes. I’m 5’10” so between M and L. I was going to go M but probably better to have a look.

For someone with my level of knowledge on bikes and their components it seems the best options are to buy new or build something with a bafang or similar.

The bikes 12 months and under on eBay are priced so close to current new prices it’s not worth the risk.

There is a unmarked black Levo alloy on at the moment for £4100 when a new one is £4400. That’s twice my initial, uninformed guestimate of what I’d be spending.

Its a slippery slope. If I decide I want a new Levo at £4400, it wouldn’t take me long to convince myself the comp alloy is the better option at £5500 for the bigger battery.

I’ve sold really nice cars i regret letting go for around £6k in the past. I can’t spend it on a bike. I would if it was going to get more use and it was my main hobby, but its impossible to justify.

Reactions: Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thing is a haibike and a giant could say m but both will be different but if you see something you like make them a offer and see what they say.

just dont even mention the word dongle in that case as will void any warranty if they found out you want to use one as been brainwashed to think they brake the motors :rolleyes:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I’ve sold really nice cars i regret letting go for around £6k in the past. I can’t spend it on a bike. I would if it was going to get more use and it was my main hobby, but its impossible to justify.
for your first e-bike, it's very sensible to set the budget around £2-£3k. In a year or two, you can sell it with only a small loss before the warranty runs out and buy something else. The problem is you have not tried any non Bosch bike in the region of £2k for comparison. They are more difficult to find because they are of higher quality than those on amazon and ebay and too low margin for traditional e-bike shops.
If you could come to Southend, try my Gran Camino.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
thing is a haibike and a giant could say m but both will be different but if you see something you like make them a offer and see what they say.

just dont even mention the word dongle in that case as will void any warranty if they found out you want to use one as been brainwashed to think they brake the motors :rolleyes:
There is a brand new bike for sale at the moment I like. If I buy it, it will be delivered to me from Tredz. The seller has bought it using the cycle to work scheme and is selling it before it’s been delivered.

He says I will be the first registered owner if its delivered to me, but surely not if he’s bought with a huge discount on a government scheme?

Its a L too so I need to go to evans to check sizing.

Its the same with anything “eco” in this country. External wall insulation doubled in price overnight when government grants were launched. Air source heat pumps cost 3 times what they did when they were launched 10 years ago. I’m guessing this cycle to work scheme is behind a lot of the bike price increases.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
for your first e-bike, it's very sensible to set the budget around £2-£3k. In a year or two, you can sell it with only a small loss before the warranty runs out and buy something else. The problem is you have not tried any non Bosch bike in the region of £2k for comparison. They are more difficult to find because they are of higher quality than those on amazon and ebay and too low margin for traditional e-bike shops.
If you could come to Southend, try my Gran Camino.
Im in Manchester. If you were closer i definitely would take a look.

£2-3k is where I want to be really. Anymore is difficult for me to justify. I’m not going to be riding steep down hill trails or making jumps like a teenager.

Reactions: Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no idea how ctw scheme works but that sounds dodgy to me.

Related Articles

Advertisers