27.5 bad for road use?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Kev.k

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
I was thinking that myself. Said he can change the order to any size or colour.
Not really got any feedback either. It’s a new base Levo.
Technically selling something that hasn’t been bought yet.
I would have wanted a black medium and they’re showing as sold out on tredz now anyway.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

he is in Manchester and has loads of parts so maybe he could build you one up in budget or just have a go on it max amps and u will $hit urself :p

or join the scooter gang :p

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
We will all be on e scooters in the future. Like it or not.

I’d really like a M620 but if they’re not road legal it’s a bit of a risk. Especially with fat tyres. I’m confident I wouldn’t do anything idiotic or ride in rush hour. I just don’t know how likely a pull off the police is. Seems to be a lot of traffic police around at the moment. They’re the worst by far in my experience.

His prices aren’t too bad. I priced a e22 build at £3k but that did have better parts but same motor.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

plod cant catch that ;)

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Superbike riders have brass balls. I’m brave on 4 wheels not 2.

If I thought I could get away with that m620 drivetrain, it would be my first choice. I’ve seen people arguing both sides about U.K. legality on the other forum. Don’t know what to make of it really.

The Chinese frames are so cheap it wouldn’t be a nightmare if it cracked either. It seems they discontinue them often and bring out revisions. The Dengfu e22 I liked the look of doesn’t seem to be available anymore.

I’ll have a proper look at that guys eBay store.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
That’s more than quick enough. Brakes seem on point too.

What ever I get is going to feel a lot different than my last bike. Suspension and brakes have really moved on.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
There is a brand new bike for sale at the moment I like. If I buy it, it will be delivered to me from Tredz. The seller has bought it using the cycle to work scheme and is selling it before it’s been delivered.

He says I will be the first registered owner if its delivered to me, but surely not if he’s bought with a huge discount on a government scheme?

Its a L too so I need to go to evans to check sizing.

Its the same with anything “eco” in this country. External wall insulation doubled in price overnight when government grants were launched. Air source heat pumps cost 3 times what they did when they were launched 10 years ago. I’m guessing this cycle to work scheme is behind a lot of the bike price increases.
I don't think the cycle to work scheme has had any effect on prices or very little its been other factors like the pandemic and the Ukraine war that has caused a good chunk of world inflation. Bike prices are starting to come down now as bike demand drops.

The Cycle to work scheme is another moronic scheme by the government often abused as per your example. The point is you can buy that bike and just let the original buyer deal with any issues with the scheme but he probably won't have any so for him it's a way of making a quick profit.

The scheme should have been a simple scheme to get those on low wages or benefits a refurbished bicycle from their local bike shop for free or heavily subsidised which doesn't fuel imports or cost tax payers too much but gets people cycling. Instead its an overly generous scheme where people buy additional bikes using the scheme back to back and often don't commute with their new bikes at all. Often they buy bikes not even suitable for commuting, high value performance road bikes that most owners would not like to lock up at work. It's just another way the government adds hugely to our national debt and interest payments. Utterly clueless people. However if such a bike came my way heavily subsidised I'd definitely buy it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There is a brand new bike for sale at the moment I like. If I buy it, it will be delivered to me from Tredz. The seller has bought it using the cycle to work scheme and is selling it before it’s been delivered.
the bike bought on cycle to work scheme belongs to the scheme provider. If your vendor leaves his present employment, you have technically bought a bike that does not belong to him.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
the bike bought on cycle to work scheme belongs to the scheme provider. If your vendor leaves his present employment, you have technically bought a bike that does not belong to him.
Really? I need to look into that.

I think the seller is genuine. Bikes at reduced prices must be selling now because the colour I wanted has gone.

edit, Just had a quick read through the scheme. Unbelievably you can pay 25% of the bikes value at the start and the bike is yours. If you don’t you pay 25% of what it’s worth after 4 years.

Government just burns money.

Last edited:

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
I don't think the cycle to work scheme has had any effect on prices or very little its been other factors like the pandemic and the Ukraine war that has caused a good chunk of world inflation. Bike prices are starting to come down now as bike demand drops.

The Cycle to work scheme is another moronic scheme by the government often abused as per your example. The point is you can buy that bike and just let the original buyer deal with any issues with the scheme but he probably won't have any so for him it's a way of making a quick profit.

The scheme should have been a simple scheme to get those on low wages or benefits a refurbished bicycle from their local bike shop for free or heavily subsidised which doesn't fuel imports or cost tax payers too much but gets people cycling. Instead its an overly generous scheme where people buy additional bikes using the scheme back to back and often don't commute with their new bikes at all. Often they buy bikes not even suitable for commuting, high value performance road bikes that most owners would not like to lock up at work. It's just another way the government adds hugely to our national debt and interest payments. Utterly clueless people. However if such a bike came my way heavily subsidised I'd definitely buy it.
I agree 100%.

The bike has a heathy discount. I’m definitely interested, but it’s now light blue rather than black which is a bit of a downer.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Really? I need to look into that.

I think the seller is genuine. Bikes at reduced prices must be selling now because the colour I wanted has gone.
the bike is leased (usually 12 month lease) to the staff, the rent is called 'salary sacrifice' and deducted from his pay packet. At the end of the lease, the scheme provider sells the bike for a small amount called 'final payment'. The bike then belongs to the staff who can sell it anyway he sees fit. However, it's not his to sell until after the final payment.
The process is similar to a normal hire purchase contract for cars.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I'd avoid Giant. Theres been talk on the net about their warranties.
Bloke stripped his bike down to send to Giant as the frame had cracked. Giant refused to honour the guarantee because he had stripped it himself and not dont by a Giant approved dealer.
Giant were contacted(along with several other manufacturers about this issuse as home servicing or removing the forks/shock to send to service somewhere like TFT is the absolute norm.
Even with Giant agreeing home servicing is something many cyclists do, they would honour it, but their explanation was still a bit overly complicated and not as straight forward as others contacted.
Giant are saying if youre getting a fork services, one of their dealers must remove and then re-fit it.

All the others said taking off a fork, or swopping the wheels etc etc wouldnt affect a frame or cause the damage, so as far as they were concerned for the rider to do it themselves is fine,.
But it is something to be aware of.
Connotations are a PITA

The Bosch Gen 4 set costs about £1500
£700.

Last edited:

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
the bike is leased (usually 12 month lease) to the staff, the rent is called 'salary sacrifice' and deducted from his pay packet. At the end of the lease, the scheme provider sells the bike for a small amount called 'final payment'. The bike then belongs to the staff who can sell it anyway he sees fit. However, it's not his to sell until after the final payment.
The process is similar to a normal hire purchase contract for cars.
The important bit is would they try to reclaim the bike from the new owner or just prosecute the person who obtained the bike on the scheme. I can't see anything happening to the person who bought the bike or any attempt to reclaim that property. If you buy stuff on a credit card, sell it for money and then don't pay the credit card off and end up bankrupt that property isn't reclaimed. It's not receiving stolen property in law as far as I understand it. A huge amount of people are facing bankruptcy at the moment does that mean goods sold on ebay no longer belong to the buyers?

It's a mute point anyway as I don't think businesses check on the use of bikes at all. They aren't interested and many schemes end with a tiny token payment or no payment at all.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If you buy stuff on a credit card, sell it for money and then don't pay the credit card off and end up bankrupt that property isn't reclaimed. It's not receiving stolen property in law as far as I understand it. A huge amount of people are facing bankruptcy at the moment does that mean goods sold on ebay no longer belong to the buyers?
the contract you have with the credit card companies is very different from the cycle to work scheme. Goods you buy with your credit card belong to you who pay the invoices, bikes you obtain on the cycle to work schemes belong to who pays the invoice, that is the scheme provider.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
It’s seems like company car but with the tax discounted rather than a massive tax increase.

I read something about paying 25% upfront for a bike over £500 and 18% for a bike under £500 but I can’t find it now.

Giant not honouring that guys warranty is a joke.

I really liked Whyte bikes before I read their warranty terms. Imagine spending £8k on a bike and it’s worth a fraction of the price the next day because the warranty is only for the original owner.

Only warranty worth anything for any of the bikes I’ve looked at is Specialized.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well if you buy say a bosch bike 2nd hand then the components have there own warranty motor batt display 2 years and frame 5 years.

so as peter at ebike motor centre is a bosch dealer if that motor goes wrong and has warranty he can sort it out tho you might have to pay postage in that case.

any ebike shop with a magura account can do a warranty claim they just refuse to do this unless you bought the bike from them.

If the e-bike is less than 2 years old, we can also take care of the warranty processing.

i broke my xd driver on my bike and just sent it back to crank brothers and got it replaced no problem.

just dont get any bike with a shitmano motor as he will not service any off them and also any giant bike as they make there own controllers batts and displays.

if i had a brand new bike id take the motor off it and send it to him to get that done and have his warranty and dongle. ;)

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
I wouldn’t touch anything with a shimano motor. Bosch is my first choice.

I’ve been looking at bikes tonight. Some have been re listed on eBay 3 or 4 times without selling, was considering making a offer on one.

What would be a fair offer on a bike that is 12 months old with no warranty, if a new one with warranty is £5k?

I’m not a cheap skate but £4200 seems overly optimistic.

That Brose upgrade seems reasonable. Are the new 2.2 motors better than the older ones?

Related Articles

Advertisers