27.5+ Conversion

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
not quite.
The Marin wheelset has 32H.
All the e-bike hub motors have 36H.
You can't lace a 36H hub to a 32H rim, so you'll need to buy a new 650B wheelset and recover the rear rim for your motor.

Forge Custom

Pedelecer
May 14, 2016
Dorset
Man - all these wheel sizes! So a 27.5+ is basically a 650b+ with what - just a chunkier tyre? I should have just bought a KTM!

Man - all these wheel sizes! So a 27.5+ is basically a 650b+ with what - just a chunkier tyre? I should have just bought a KTM!
650b+ is the correct name for the size. Its just the MTB industry wanted a term that riders could get their head around.

We already use 26" and 29" so the logic was put it in the middle, so they use 27.5".

The + bit means its wider, so half way to being a fat bike. So yes you could just stick a normal 650b/27.5" rim and therefore tyre on it. Or actually you could put a 700c/29" rim on it and then it would have the same outside circumference as the 650b+/27.5+ front wheel.

But if you want to keep the same tyre, you'll need to get a 27.5+/650b+ rim capable of coping with the extra width of the + size tyre. You can of course just run a normal width rim, but then the tyre profile will be a bit weird, because it'll be pinched more at the bottom.

This is quite a useful guide to the 4 different options on mountain bikes these days.

26" / 27.5" / 27.5"+ / 29" and Fat bike, which is actually a 26" wheel, just with a super wide rim / hub / tyre.

http://dirtragmag.com/the-wheel-size-explainer/

Last edited:

Forge Custom

Pedelecer
May 14, 2016
Dorset
Great stuff KTM - thanks for that. So the holy grail appears to be a 27.5+ rim that has 36 holes! Does one even exist? Have drawn a blank so far. 32h no problem - WTB Scraper or Pog DB-X50 are possibles. But neither of these come in 36h. And nobody does a 32h electric hub it seems.

Has this ever come up before? I suppose normally people are just using the ready-laced standard size wheels so it isn't a problem. But if 27.5+ is here to stay - I'm guessing it'll be a growing problem.

Cheers

Matt

I don't think you'll find many 27.5+ bikes that use qr axles, so I think it'll be impossible to convert most of them anyway, the awareness of 36hole rims will be the lesser problem for most people with 27.5+ bikes. However the rim size is new for this year, so more brands will start making them and I suspect 36h might start appearing soon.

Reactions: Forge Custom

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Now you see why a mid-drive isn't such a bad idea. I don't like front wheel drive (just the handling of it, the extra weight in the front wheel) and I don't think it would work very well off road. Of course many argue that you have two wheel drive with the motor in the front...

You can find very nice 32 tooth chainsets for the Bafang

Forge Custom

Pedelecer
May 14, 2016
Dorset
What are the implications of the QR axle then?

That aside - would you then say that by far the easiest option would be to go for a mid-drive kit such as the Bafang Bbs02 for example.

Is there anything in that Marin that is likely to scupper that too?! I'm guessing there'll be a BB issue if progress is as problematic as it has been already : (

Forge Custom

Pedelecer
May 14, 2016
Dorset
Anotherkiwi - yep, I hear you. When you say you can find very nice 32 tooth chainsets for the Bafang - what do you mean exactly?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Forge Custom

Pedelecer
May 14, 2016
Dorset
Ah cracking knowledge there my man - top stuff! Haha - yeah - it's massive isn't it? Any views/tips on the best UK source for a Bafang? And can you restrict/de-restrict via the LCD do you know?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
stock rims are 29mm wide, he needs 40mm wide.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Ah cracking knowledge there my man - top stuff! Haha - yeah - it's massive isn't it? Any views/tips on the best UK source for a Bafang? And can you restrict/de-restrict via the LCD do you know?
I'm in France so maybe my colleagues are better placed for recommendations. Having said that I have just ordered a GSM mid-drive from Woosh who also do Bafang mid-drive kits.

Any kit with an LCD gives you access to settings such as wheel diameter and maximum speed. With the Bafang you also have a programmer cable which lets you fine tune things. There are posts on here explaining that which are above and beyond my knowledge.

Doric Diversions

Just Joined
Sep 9, 2016
Aberdeenshire
I'm seriously considering a Pinemountain for a BBS01 conversion. I currently have it on my whyte901 but will move it onto the PInemountain. Did you don the conversion ? did it go ok ? Any photos ?

Forge Custom

Pedelecer
May 14, 2016
Dorset
I gave up in the end. I hit the wall of no 36 hole rim available anywhere and that was that. But a mid drive might be cool. The bike itself - as a bike - is brilliant though. Ended up, or am currently converting my army beachcruiser instead.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
http://precialps.com/uk/3-mid-drive-parts

I am humming and ha-ing between the 104BCD adaptor and a Shimano 44 tooth chainring with the possibility of opting in the future for a 48-38 setup and their 42 tooth chainring. I may just buy both.