3d printers

D

Deleted member 4366

Although you can print virtually any shape, the material is relatively low-grade plastic, and the printing in layers gives it low shear strength in the direction that pulls the layers apart. The accuracy is also quite low on the affordable ones. Like many things, technology will continue to advance, so eventually accuracy and strength will improve, but they've got a long way to go yet.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although you can print virtually any shape, the material is relatively low-grade plastic, and the printing in layers gives it low shear strength in the direction that pulls the layers apart. The accuracy is also quite low on the affordable ones. Like many things, technology will continue to advance, so eventually accuracy and strength will improve, but they've got a long way to go yet.
Thanks Dave, first sensible comment I've seen on this. New technologies are often hyped, but the world seems to have gone foolishly overboard about this.

D

Deleted member 4366

I've just seen some pictures of the gun parts on the News Channel. The parts printed were really poor quality because they were printed on a cheap printer (about £100). The Americans are using the more expensive printers (£5000+) for their guns. I think it would have been better if the police had left these guys alone. When they tried to use their guns, they'd probably blow off their faces and the problem would solve itself.

Manchester parts:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-24666591

American parts:
http://inhabitat.com/liberator-pistol-worlds-first-3d-printed-wiki-weapon-fired-successfully-in-texas/

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think the materials will be a problem for a long time though. The American gun used ABS and the rubber in that is polybutadiene which is destroyed by the UV in sunlight, making the ABS brittle. OK as a single use weapon immediately after production, but parts made from plastics like this will suffer many often unforeseen vulnerabilities.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
My dentist tells me that it is now possible to scan the inside of a person's mouth rather than take dental impressions. They send the result by email to Switzerland where the denture base is made, this comes back to the dental mechanic who fits the teeth.
Apparently a near perfect fit is obtained.
Problem is that the scanner alone costs £48,000

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Greater Manchester Police are backing down, a new statement says they can't definitely say that they are gun parts. Little wonder, after release on bail, the accused shopkeeper has challenged anyone to show how the parts could be used to make a gun and has said the two parts are to improve the 3D printer's performance!

It's beginning to look like more of the hysteria that pervades our age.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
is destroyed by the UV in sunlight, OK as a single use weapon immediately after production, but parts made from plastics like this will suffer many often unforeseen vulnerabilities.
My vampire friends have a similar problem.

C

Cyclezee

I have some experience of 3D Printing and Rapid Prototyping from my previous career in Maxillo Facial Technology.

It was quite amazing to see the data from a CT or MRI scan turn into a solid 3 dimensional model.

Only a few years ago it was very Tomorrows World, very expensive and objects produced were quite crude, but now the costs have come down, the quality, speed and accuracy has improved considerably.

Personally, I own a custom made medical device that I use made by such a technique.

It is known in the 'business' by the acronym M.A.D. or M.R.D. and if anyone can tell me what the device is and what it does they will win a set of highly desirable Cyclezee torque plates;)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I have some experience of 3D Printing and Rapid Prototyping from my previous career in Maxillo Facial Technology.

It was quite amazing to see the data from a CT or MRI scan turn into a solid 3 dimensional model.

Only a few years ago it was very Tomorrows World, very expensive and objects produced were quite crude, but now the costs have come down, the quality, speed and accuracy has improved considerably.

Personally, I own a custom made medical device that I use made by such a technique.

It is known in the 'business' by the acronym M.A.D. or M.R.D. and if anyone can tell me what the device is and what it does they will win a set of highly desirable Cyclezee torque plates;)
A complete stab in the dark this: Mandibular advancement device ? They were the first words that came into my head. I've no idea why. And for some reason, I think they are used to treat sleep apnea.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire

Oh, do you mean a Mandibular Advancement Device, aka a Mandibular Repositioning Device? Designed to bring the tongue and jaw forward to increase the airway space, and prevent airway obstruction due to sleep apnea.

That'll be a Menacingly Awkward Device, also known as a Mean Ass Drongo in Orsetrailiar
I've already got a HDCTP, thanks John.;)

C

Cyclezee

A complete stab in the dark this: Mandibular advancement device ? They were the first words that came into my head. I've no idea why. And for some reason, I think they are used to treat sleep apnea.
Well blow me, that was quick Tillson:eek: Good guess, educated guess or insider knowledge:p

P.M. you address I will send you a set of torque plates. They could also be used as a Mandibular advancement device following a bit of minor Oral Surgery:eek:

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
My dentist tells me that it is now possible to scan the inside of a person's mouth rather than take dental impressions. They send the result by email to Switzerland where the denture base is made, this comes back to the dental mechanic who fits the teeth.
Apparently a near perfect fit is obtained.
Problem is that the scanner alone costs £48,000
A near perfect fit is not good enough, even though you first need to provide the perfectly made £48,000 notes before even considering going ahead with it.

MS.

C

Cyclezee

Oh, do you mean a Mandibular Advancement Device, aka a Mandibular Repositioning Device? Designed to bring the tongue and jaw forward to increase the airway space, and prevent airway obstruction due to sleep apnea.

That'll be a Menacingly Awkward Device, also known as a Mean Ass Drongo in Orsetrailiar
I've already got a HDCTP, thanks John.;)
The first part of your answer can be correct if patient selection is inappropriate or the device is poorly designed, but they can are a life saver for many people and not just the sleep apnea sufferer.

C

Cyclezee

A near perfect fit is not good enough, even though you first need to provide the perfectly made £48,000 notes before even considering going ahead with it.

MS.
Soft tissue scanning has not yet been perfected so a good impression is still required to make an accurately fitting denture baseplate, the problem is good impressions are as rare as hen's teeth:rolleyes:

When it comes to 'hard tissue' scanning, be it bone or teeth the results are very accurate and reliable, so for dental implants, crown and bridges it works well.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Soft tissue scanning has not yet been perfected so a good impression is still required to make an accurately fitting denture baseplate, the problem is good impressions are as rare as hen's teeth:rolleyes:

When it comes to 'hard tissue' scanning, be it bone or teeth the results are very accurate and reliable, so for dental implants, crown and bridges it works well.
John are you saying me that you've actually had this procedure done ? :eek::rolleyes:

MS.

C

Cyclezee

John are you saying me that you've actually had this procedure done ? :eek::rolleyes:

MS.
Hi MS,

Not sure which procedure you are referring to, but I wasn't the patient;)

I was however a guinea pig / volunteer for an excellent clinically proven French CADCAM made device for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea which was and I believe still is superior to those we were providing when I worked for the NHS.

I spent several years trying to persuade clinicians and managers that these devices although initially more expensive would be more effective, save clinical, patient time, ultimately be cost effective and most importantly save lives. Finally I tired of banging my head against a brick wall.

Sorry to the OP if I am going off on one, but this thread has brought it all back to me.

What people don't always understand is that obstructive sleep apnea is not just dangerous to the sufferer. Just imagine a truck driver with OSA who doesn't get enough sleep because of his condition falling asleep at the wheel, there are many recorded incidents like this which often end with at least one fatality.

Unfortunately, all too often the condition is not diagnosed or treated before it is too late.

Another worrying aspect is that some drivers will not report their condition to the DVLC and insurance company for fear of losing their licence and insurance cover.

Just a thought, maybe I should start a thread on the topic of Maxillo Facial Technology and related subjects in the The Charging Post, might make a change from electronic cigarettes although unlikely to be so popular.

Last edited by a moderator: