3d printers

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So now we have 3D printed bike frame - Just a start.
I'm afraid some of these uses are just amusing me.

The way 3D printers take ages to laboriously produce something which normally takes minutes reminds me of the earliest days of home computing when users spent ages entering data to eventually get the answer that one plus one equals two.

Yes, 3D printing will eventually have an occasional application, but nothing like the hyped unreality that's so prevalent currently.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it's good for proof of concept - I am pondering on making a stealthy looking battery case for my bike using 3D printer

Reactions: flecc

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
I'm afraid some of these uses are just amusing me.

The way 3D printers take ages to laboriously produce something which normally takes minutes reminds me of the earliest days of home computing when users spent ages entering data to eventually get the answer that one plus one equals two.

Yes, 3D printing will eventually have an occasional application, but nothing like the hyped unreality that's so prevalent currently.
It's an economy of scale thing as well as early adoption of the technology. Where there are cheaper production methods and good transport facilities to distribute, it really doesn't make sense, but the potential for ensuring quality parts are available for remote locations is there. The RAF are already looking at producing aircraft parts on site as required. And as trex says, for proof of concept, it is ideal. Formula 1 teams are already producing low volume parts using 3d printers

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Of course, but I was referring to the wild statements from the media and others about whole factories operating in this way mass producing. One even mentioned car production!

johnstevenjacob

Just Joined
Mar 25, 2014

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
In my experience anything made from plastic nylon etc,is very prone to breakages, i would of thought moulded plastic would allow more options and be far stronger than 3d printed,anything plastic usually means it will break very easilly and be almost impossible to glue or repair.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I have a 20+year old 12v Stealth mover that is all plastic other than the cutting disc,blades, axles, motor etc. it is 100% intact with no sign that it will develop any issues in the next decade or so and it is used 1 or 2 times every week and only partially protected from the sun in storage, the quality of plastic varies dramatically and is also effected by design.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I think that they are very good for printing chess pieces..............in green. No doubt as the technology develops, different coloured chess pieces will become a real possibility.

johnstevenjacob

Just Joined
Mar 25, 2014
@fishingpaul: You probably haven’t tried 3D printing. Well, it’s way different from factory-manufactured-plastics-materials. 3D printing uses high quality filament which has strong and versatile characteristics that can be printed into different shapes. Nylon Filament, for example, is an extremely strong material that’s why it can be used for creating bicycle parts, etc. According to switched.com, it can be as strong as steel. Read more about Nylon Filament here: http://www.3d2print.net/shop/product/taulman-645-nylon/

D

Deleted member 4366

I think that they are very good for printing chess pieces..............in green. No doubt as the technology develops, different coloured chess pieces will become a real possibility.
I think you're right. I've already seen creamy coloured chess pieces. It's only a matter of time before the technology progresses to black and white.

@fishingpaul: You probably haven’t tried 3D printing. Well, it’s way different from factory-manufactured-plastics-materials. 3D printing uses high quality filament which has strong and versatile characteristics that can be printed into different shapes. Nylon Filament, for example, is an extremely strong material that’s why it can be used for creating bicycle parts, etc. According to switched.com, it can be as strong as steel. Read more about Nylon Filament here: http://www.3d2print.net/shop/product/taulman-645-nylon/
We had quite an expensive 3-D printer at our school. We used mainly ABS. The printing is done in layers, so you get quite good strength in one direction, but very low sheer strength. With good design, you can optimise the strength to an extent.

The printers that you can buy for home have very low resolution, so don't think that if you get one, you'll be able to build a bike from first principles, neither will you be able to make a gun, but creamy coloured chess pieces are a real possibility if you can find the right files to download. You can always paint them afterwards.

Another problem to think about. All plastic is attacked by UV light in daylight, which makes it degrade and go brittle. You can get materials that include UV stabilisers, which are more expensive. I'm not sure if you can get them for 3-D printers yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
3D printing isn't limited to one colour plastics - you can print in ceramics, gypsum, and metals; even gold or silver. NASA already produces rocket engine parts using this technology.