5 separate punctures on a 14 mile journey home

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thats his speed with his head on the pillow ;)
I easily managed faster than 20mph average speeds over 12 miles, during the brief time I didn't know it was illegal, in the middle of the night with no traffic. Very enjoyable it was too.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
So, you're riding an illegal bike or you're incredibly fit and you don't need the motor at all. Which one is it?
He lives on Mount Snowdon, so he means the 13 mile one way journey to Caernarfon. He gets a lift in a truck to go back home so that his Bafang crank motor won't wear out.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Indeed if you average 19.5mph on a 'UK legal' eBike, then presumably the motor is off most all the time.

Who needs an eBike ?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
He lives on Mount Snowdon, so he means the 13 mile one way journey to Caernarfon. He gets a lift in a truck to go back home so that his Bafang crank motor won't wear out.
I could try that reverse journey. I should be visiting a friend who lives near Snowdon sometime, and he's considering converting his titanium framed MTB to electric. I fear the final bit up the Snowdon pyg track could burn out my BBS01B, even if I fitted the 42T chainwheel - might take the train up Snowdon instead.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Indeed if you average 19.5mph on a 'UK legal' eBike, then presumably the motor is off most all the time.

Who needs an eBike ?
I can manage about 18mph after the assistance has cut off, but not for 13 freaking miles. @Saracen must have legs like tree trunks and the heart of a mountain goat if he's averaging 20mph similarly.

Reactions: StuartsProjects

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
19.5 mph iputs him in the "advanced cyclist" category. Not many of them that good need or want an electric bike. They're normally the ones that shout "cheater" when they see you.
Isn't @Saracen in his 50s or 60s? He's going to reply any second saying he's got km/h and mph mixed up.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Fwiw when circa 1993 i decided to spend a weekend cycling/camping along the Ridgeway as i was lodged in newbury at the time.

anyway, i got a lift as the a34 itself is not cycle friendly and started off and after about 5 mins i had a puncture,, thorns.. no problem i had a brand new puncture kit n tools.. so i fixed it rolled on a few meters and got a 2nd puncture.. more thorns,, fixed and pushed til clear of thorns.. and hopped on for a few more meters before pop again.. and the 'cycle' continued, fix, push, test, fail, repeat until the first strip of patches in the kit was exhausted the 2nd out of 3 i cut in half, the last strip i cut into 1/4's I ended up pushin the bike to the first village east ilsely iirc with a flat sitting drinking pints and waiting sheepishly for my pal whos own weekend plans were scuppered due to my call for help.. it wast even mid day!!!

joelectric

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2019
Motherwell
40 minutes for me, e bike (UK legal) and I thought that was poor
Not a chance you are doing an average commute speed of 20mph on a road legal ebike, bikes far too heavy to maintain that extra speed unassisted after the motor cuts out, especially with the tyres you have as well.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Northmale

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 29, 2023
Fancy new tyres fitted.will see
It is normal when somebody keeps changing inner tubes, but doesn't check tyre for thorns/nails etc.
Checked as best I could in the dark. Just shite luck I guess but the Marathon Plus have just been fitted and if it happens tomorrow, I’ll short the battery and give the bike a Viking funeral.

Reactions: saneagle

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Checked as best I could in the dark. Just shite luck I guess but the Marathon Plus have just been fitted and if it happens tomorrow, I’ll short the battery and give the bike a Viking funeral.
You check it with your fingers, not with your eyes. When you locate puncture on inner tube you know more or less there tyre was punctured. Put fingers inside tyre and check gently (so you won't hurt yourself) for presence of any unwanted objects like thorns etc. I check while wearing rubber glove first.

Related Articles

Advertisers