8 fun kit died last night on way home :(

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
fine on way into work yesterday then, when i plugged the fresh battery in for way home the LED handlebar panel went a bit wierd - as in all the LED lit up at same time and flashed very fast indeed. Then I pressed the On button and all went back to normal.

Then about half a mile down the road hit a tiny bump and ..........off went all power. Tried the obvious connection wiggling but nothing.

My meter is mising after a house move so I'll get another one at lunchtime, However best way to progress seems to be

1) check power is coming from battery /test terminals. (the fuel gauge lights up but guess there could be loose connection in the battery)

2) Change the controller over as I have a spare

3) if this doesnt work I'm guessing then I have to check the power wire and ensure it is going from the battery to the controller

I'm not much of a pro at this - indeed only used my meter a handful of times

Does this siund like a sensible problem solving plan ? If its the battery then it goes back under warranty as taking apart will void

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
To prove battery and cable:

1. Stick meter on Volts DC range (if not auto ranging, then a range that is above 45v).
2. Find the battery connector - as close to the controller as you can get. Disconnect.
3. Insert meter probes into connector that goes to battery.
4. If you get 38v or above, then battery and cable are probably good.

Report back with results.

D

Deleted member 4366

First, with the battery switched on, test the voltage on the two battery wires that plug in to the controller. Don't forget to test DC volts not AC.
Next, check the connector to the panel on the controller side. The pin with red wire should have 40v on it. You need to keep your black probe on the battery 0v (black), while you try each of the four pins if you can't see the colours. I've never tried it,but your throttle should still work if you bypass the panel by joining the blue and red wires at that connector. I don't know what happens with PAS. You'll either get full PAS or none.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Ok now , I'm embarrassed to ask but the thing comes with no instructions other than where to put red and black wires..... What about the big dial ? What setting should it be on ?

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
If your testing for Dc voltage turn the dial left to 200 v-- then test the 36 v battery.

The V section being Volts.

Don't forget to turn the keys on.!

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Be very careful when measuring the battery that the meter probes don't touch! Unfortunately just measuring the voltage may not show you if there is an intermittent connection inside...you could still get a good reading if a connection has partial contact.

D

Deleted member 4366

just to make it clear, DC volts is the quadrant on the left of the "off" position.

Are the LED's on your panel still lighting up? It's not very clear from your description. If they are, you don't need to do the voltmeter tests.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Kids in bed , here we go

Thanks to all so far,

And no lights , they just behaved oddly shirt before it all went dead

D

Deleted member 4366

My guess is that the fuse in the battery has blown - possibly because of a short in the panel or the wires to the panel.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Kirsten, try disconnecting just the pedal sensor.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Well got nothing from end off power leads with battery on(tried switch both ways to be 100)

Battery next I guess but has 4 poles? Any idea what to test ?

See pics

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Well tried and got nothing from battery either . I thought I had 1year warranty but 8fun don't - my error

Looks like d8veh may be right ?

If no warranty , i have emailed to check, then I'll try to take apart and see what fuse looks like and get replacement (maplin near my work)

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
How do you mean 8fun don't think you have warranty?

My understanding has always been that anything sold as new in the uk has 12 months?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Jackhandy - I thought 12 months but their t&c says 60 days on website ?

I have emailed them this evening describing issue so let's see...

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
On mine, which is the same kit with 9ah bottle battery:

Top 2 terminals negative

Bottom 2 positive.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Kirstin,hope this helps.
Guarantees/warranties

Many retailers offer a free guarantee (or warranty) to customers. Sometimes these are provided by the manufacturer and sometimes by the retailer. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 set out rules that apply when you give a customer a free guarantee.

If you give a guarantee, you should remember it is legally binding on you. It must

be written in English and easy to understand
be clear on the content and duration of the guarantee
be available to look at, at the customer's request
state that it does not affect the customer's legal rights
include the guarantor's name and address
state how to make a claim and what will happen when a claim is made.
It is up to the guarantor to decide how long the guarantee lasts.

It is important to remember that a guarantee does not replace or limit a customer's rights. Customers are entitled to raise a problem with you regarding a product for up to six years from the date of purchase (five years from the discovery of a problem in Scotland) regardless of the terms of any guarantee. Customers are entitled to rely on the remedies available to them under law (outlined in this guide) rather than their rights under a guarantee, if they wish.

This means that if a customer complains to you about an item that is not fit for purpose , does not match the description , or is not of satisfactory quality , you must deal with their complaint - you cannot force them to use their guarantee.

Your own returns policy

Some retailers decide that it makes good business sense to have their own returns policy that offers customers more rights than they have under the law - for example, promising them a full refund for undamaged goods, up to a certain number of weeks.

If you chose to offer the customer more rights than the law required, you could impose conditions on the customer, for example

a requirement to produce the original till receipt
a requirement to return the goods unused and in unopened packaging
a deadline for returns
an offer to exchange or offer a credit note, but not to refund.
These conditions only apply to the additional rights you are offering. You cannot impose these conditions where a customer has a legal right to return goods. This is why the words 'this does not affect your statutory rights' are often included at the end of store return policies.

The critical words here are that a 'warranty cannot affect your statutory legal rights',however a lot of customers think this means they have a six year warranty on everything-the law determines that you have up to six years to make a claim on any product not deemed to have a 'reasonable' life,the word reasonable is the critical word here. To explain,if your fish and chips you left in the kichen for 2 months and were thus unedible,in theory you have up to 6 years to make a claim but a judge would probably deem that expecting 2 months life on your food was not 'reasonable'. If you bought a watch with a 5year guarantee and did not subject it to unfair abuse and it broke after 18 months a judge may deem that you should 'reasonably' expect a longer life.
Under the latest EU law,if a product fails within 6 months it is deemed that the product probably had the fault during manufacture so it is up to the seller to prove otherwise. If the product failed after 6 months it is up to the consumer to prove the product had an original manufacturing fault.
I suspect that a judge would say that 60 days is not a reasonable life for a battery that most of us would expect to last for a year,so the warranty is trying to affect your statutory rights and therefore is not relevant under UK law,this is subject to fair usage.
You note that the word 'reasonable' is subject to a great degree of interpretation.
KudosDave

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

You don't have to worry about guarantees if you can fix the problem easily.
Kirstin, check that you're using the meter correctly by measuring an AA battery to see that it shows 1.5v or your car battery 12v. Can you show us a picture of your battery, so we can see what you've got?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
You don't have to worry about guarantees if you can fix the problem easily.
Kirstin, check that you're using the meter correctly by measuring an AA battery to see that it shows 1.5v or your car battery 12v. Can you show us a picture of your battery, so we can see what you've got?
Electric Dave,I totally agree....I just thought it unreasonable a seller offering only 60 days warranty,it relects badly on the whole industry...but if it can easily be fixed that is best for all concerned.
KudosDave

D

Deleted member 4366

Electric Dave,I totally agree....I just thought it unreasonable a seller offering only 60 days warranty,it relects badly on the whole industry...but if it can easily be fixed that is best for all concerned.
KudosDave
Yes, it does seem a bit mean, but it's a DIY kit, and there's no saying how well it's been installed, so I can understand why. I think that the 8Fun guys are either the same or related to the old Sunlova lot, who I found to be always helpful when anyone had problems.
What I was trying to get at was that in this case, it may be something simple like water has caused a fuse to blow.