850c or 860c for TSDZ2?

Doge

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 5, 2021
I'm a total novice at this and have no knowledge of electronics, but I've recently converted my bike with a TSDZ2. I thought I'd have a go at a new controller/display and flash it to see the results. First I can only fined the 850c controller ready to use with the TSDZ2. Is there any advantage in getting the 860c and converting the plugs if I'm moderately incompetent? Also are these better controllers than the VLCD5 I've already got?( especially if the voltage indictor is accurate ( does the VLCD5 have a voltage indictor?)).
I'm pretty confused to whether flashing the controller is the same as flashing the display, whether I have to do this once or twice!

TJS109

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2017
Glos
Flashing the controller is a separate operation from flashing the display.

Just so you are aware of all the options there is a branch of the software that allows you to use the existing stock VCLD5(6) unmodified meaning that you only have to flash the controller.
I think performance is the same but the display options are limited.

Full details and options are here https://github.com/emmebrusa

The vcld5 option being https://github.com/emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-1

Last edited:

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
I'm a total novice at this and have no knowledge of electronics, but I've recently converted my bike with a TSDZ2. I thought I'd have a go at a new controller/display and flash it to see the results. First I can only fined the 850c controller ready to use with the TSDZ2. Is there any advantage in getting the 860c and converting the plugs if I'm moderately incompetent? Also are these better controllers than the VLCD5 I've already got?( especially if the voltage indictor is accurate ( does the VLCD5 have a voltage indictor?)).
I'm pretty confused to whether flashing the controller is the same as flashing the display, whether I have to do this once or twice!
:oops: :D Sounds like a recipe for disaster.... "I'm a total novice at this and have no knowledge of electronics"

Doge

Sep 5, 2021
Flashing the controller is a separate operation from flashing the display.

Just so you are aware of all the options there is a branch of the software that allows you to use the existing stock VCLD5(6) unmodified meaning that you only have to flash the controller.
I think performance is the same but the display options are limited.

Full details and options are here https://github.com/emmebrusa

The vcld5 option being https://github.com/emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-1

Doge

Sep 5, 2021
Thanks. That cleared up that. Just thesoftware flash is for the 860 not the 850.

Doge

Sep 5, 2021
:oops: :D Sounds like a recipe for disaster.... "I'm a total novice at this and have no knowledge of electronics"
I like to throw myself at projects and hope to pick peripheral skills enroute. As long as something doesn't blow up (apart from my blood pressure), it's fun. Main problem is not understanding jargon and wrapping ones head around general principles. So as you have stated, a recipe for disaster

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
I like to throw myself at projects and hope to pick peripheral skills enroute. As long as something doesn't blow up (apart from my blood pressure), it's fun. Main problem is not understanding jargon and wrapping ones head around general principles. So as you have stated, a recipe for disaster
Ive got a TSDZ2 and the leads to flash both firmwares, TBH the process looks overly complicated and documentation is very disjointed. Too many options to brick an expensive motor!
Out of all of my pedelecs, I have found the TS the worst performer and really needs the flash!

Doge

Sep 5, 2021
Ive got a TSDZ2 and the leads to flash both firmwares, TBH the process looks overly complicated and documentation is very disjointed. Too many options to brick an expensive motor!
Out of all of my pedelecs, I have found the TS the worst performer and really needs the flash!
This is my first experience of ebikes apart from my wife gocycle. Not sure how it compares to others. Have you tried to flash yours yet? My first problem seems stem from not having a laptop and having my computer in the loft! Leads could be tricky. Do I need to flash both devices or can you do one first do you think? Thought it might possible to just do the display first.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
This is my first experience of ebikes apart from my wife gocycle. Not sure how it compares to others. Have you tried to flash yours yet? My first problem seems stem from not having a laptop and having my computer in the loft! Leads could be tricky. Do I need to flash both devices or can you do one first do you think? Thought it might possible to just do the display first.
As I said, have got the leads. Looked at the info to update, but it is so disjointed and overly complicated, so have not attempted YET? To easy to brick IMO!
I primarily use Bafang hub motors, but bought a TSDZ2 to try. Mistake, it is a dog. Continually rebooting, does'nt like a fully charged 48v battery (54v+ fully charged), weak nylon gearing and stock firmware is cr*p!

Doge

Sep 5, 2021
As I said, have got the leads. Looked at the info to update, but it is so disjointed and overly complicated, so have not attempted YET? To easy to brick IMO!
I primarily use Bafang hub motors, but bought a TSDZ2 to try. Mistake, it is a dog. Continually rebooting, does'nt like a fully charged 48v battery (54v+ fully charged), weak nylon gearing and stock firmware is cr*p!
Interesting. Mine is completely stock. I've had no problems at all. But I've only done 100 miles and don't know what I'm looking for. It's just been a help with hills and headwinds, but I can easily outcycle the max performance of the motor settings. Do you have a voltage meter on you setup?

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Do you have a voltage meter on you setup?
My batteries have Bluetooth monitoring for voltage etc. Can see what's going in via my android phone

Doge

Sep 5, 2021
My batteries have Bluetooth monitoring for voltage etc. Can see what's going in via my android phone
Nice. How you set about doing that? I'm just coming to terms with the fact that battery level indicators don't really mean much.

TJS109

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2017
Glos
For what its worth my advice would be to try the version of the software that works with the stock display first.
The process is pretty simple and you do not have to bother with changing leads etc.
If you get on OK with that and like the result then you can change to the version with alternative displays.

The only real disadvantage of this fork of the software is that the display is limited and parameter changing via the display is very convoluted. It is much easier to just re-flash it which only takes 1 min or so once you are set up.

To answer your earlier query if you flash the display or controller in whatever order you like but I expect they will not work together until you flash both.

Reactions: vidtek

Doge

Sep 5, 2021
For what its worth my advice would be to try the version of the software that works with the stock display first.
The process is pretty simple and you do not have to bother with changing leads etc.
If you get on OK with that and like the result then you can change to the version with alternative displays.

The only real disadvantage of this fork of the software is that the display is limited and parameter changing via the display is very convoluted. It is much easier to just re-flash it which only takes 1 min or so once you are set up.

To answer your earlier query if you flash the display or controller in whatever order you like but I expect they will not work together until you flash both.
Thanks. I think that's good advice. This'll be interesting.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
I've had mine now for over 2 years and have ridden over 1500miles with stock firmware on both. As an electronics engineer, I don't understand the need to change anything, it works just fine for me. When I first bought the kit I was all fired up to experiment and change the firmware up but the kit has been just brilliant and I now see no need to risk whatever untoward outcomes there inevitably will be when messing about with this stuff. I just can't see the point - it does everything and more I could ever wish for with stock firmware.

Reactions: Doge

TJS109

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2017
Glos
In my case I changed the software largely out of interest to see the effect and because I like fiddling with things.
It does improve the performance and make the bike nicer to ride but not to a huge extent and is possibly unwise if you are not at least familiar with electronics.
There is not too much wrong with the stock firmware.

Reactions: vidtek and Doge

Doge

Sep 5, 2021
In my case I changed the software largely out of interest to see the effect and because I like fiddling with things.
It does improve the performance and make the bike nicer to ride but not to a huge extent and is possibly unwise if you are not at least familiar with electronics.
Ok. I'll give this a bit more thought especially if no great benefits are gained. Might change the display to a 850c as it has a voltage display

Reactions: vidtek

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Did you document your procedure? There's no point in @Doge re-inventing the wheel......

Reactions: Doge

TJS109

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2017
Glos
The two links I listed at the beginning thoroughly document the process.
There are also numerous threads on this site that show the process this being a good example
Pretty sure another one from me is not needed.

Reactions: vidtek and Doge

FrodoBaggins

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2017
West Yorkshire
I do agree with people here.
The OSF is definitely better, but you have to tinker a lot with the settings to get it right for how you want to ride. Trying to programme it through the stock display is just rubbish. Just plug the cable back in. But you dont really need a new display. Really once you are happy you can just get on with cycling.

A lot of people say it is easy. I would say it is for techie IT types, but non-technical people I can imagine it is very daunting. If you have never heard of the word Java or Git, then you are in new territory for sure!

If you have the skills and enjoy messing then go for it, but if you dont then you are not missing out all that much.

BTW The reason I did the OSF on mine was to actually reduce the first 2 levels, so I can have more of a workout.
I like the Tongsheng because you can ride it like a normal bike, even with it off the weight is not too bad

Reactions: vidtek and TJS109