A Busetti On Ebay 60 Mile Range

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I don't know if tillson has an Agattu but his was supplied with 41T x 23T with 9T motor, which he found too high a cadence. (similar ratio)
Mine now has the 41T x 19T with 9T motor as stated previously, only one tooth difference on rear sprocket from tillson, which we are both happy with.
Incidentally a 41T chain ring is now an accessory at 50cycles.:)
My bike is a 2008 Pro Connect. The one tooth extra on the rear sprocket won't make a massive difference and may very well suit you better.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
From what i can surmise then is that the Agattu (including mine) was supplied with the 35T x 19T with 9T motor (same as the Dover)

Incidentally a 41T chain ring is now an accessory at 50cycles.:)
The Agattu was originally with 41 - 9 - 22 but now appears to be supplied with 35 - 9 - 19, there's nothing in it as far as gear ratio difference goes, just 0.02%. The cadence is 15% faster on the current 35/19 set. N.B. The one badged as Raleigh Dover* is just an Agattu also.

The 41 tooth chainwheel (not chainring) is also a spare for the previous bikes of course.

Since Tillson's bike has a 23 tooth rear sprocket he probably has the Kalkhoff Pro Connect which used that size.

* Originally the Dover name was used on the Raleigh version of the Pro Connect, but they then swapped it to the Raleigh badged Agattu which they'd originally called the Leicester. The Raleigh badged Tasman was called the Leicester de Luxe. I think they just like to confuse us!

Just seen Tillson's crossed post confirming the Pro Connect. To get slower pedalling and ability to pedal at higher road speeds on both bikes but remain legal, you need to change the chainwheel to 41 tooth and the rear sprocket to 22 tooth.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Mine now has the 41T x 19T with 9T motor as stated previously
Which has raised the assist limit from final cut-out by 15 mph to final cut-out by 17.4 mph, meaning higher consumption/shorter range, the start point of our discussion. Your 25 miles range when adjusted by the same percentage change as the assist limit alteration becomes 30 miles.

That's why you cannot compare your range to the published specification. As mentioned, with the 10 Ah battery on a standard Agattu there's no difficulty getting 30/35 miles using mixed power modes, and when riding for economy on average territory, about 50 miles can easily be achieved. Fit riders can top that.

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
Wow, got there in the end.
I knew the Dover was almost the same as the Agattu (mostly cosmetic differences) Both made by Derby Cycles or Kalkhoff if you prefer.
Front sprocket, chainring, chainwheel, it's all the same to me, one man's meat is another man's poison.
You call it a chainwheel, 50cycles call it a chainring?

So any of you Agattu/Dover owners out there who want a lower cadence for a given speed and are prepared to forgo some range, and have the 35T front chain thingy, change it to a 41T

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You call it a chainwheel, 50cycles call it a chainring?
It's definitely a chain wheel. A chainring has no centre and has to be mounted on a multi-arm spider centre.

So any of you Agattu/Dover owners out there who want a lower cadence for a given speed and are prepared to forgo some range, and have the 35T front chain thingy, change it to a 41T
Only the very latest and most recent Agattus though! Most Agattus have the 41 tooth chainwheel already. For them it's necessary to use an 8 tooth motor sprocket to get a small 11% reduction in cadence. After that, the rear sprocket has to be changed for one with 19 teeth as well to return the assist limit to about 15 mph.

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
All Agattu's and Dover's from now on then, and if you want a diamond frame then only a Dover and then only one size. That's why i purchased my Agattu when i did, December not being ideal, but i wanted the diamond frame and larger (57cm) size.
The Dover was a case of if you are having one, i want one....women!

Definitions always vary, gearwheels and cogs, cisterns and tanks, ships and boats, basins and sinks etc. Oh and Robin Reliants but not Fiesta Fords:rolleyes:

I don't see any of it as a problem so long as we all understand what we are getting at.:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
if you want a diamond frame then only a Dover and then only one size.
Derby Cycles gmbh do make the Kalkhoff Agattu in both frame styles and all sizes, but 50cycles it seems understandably try to limit the stock choice, reasonable in view of the huge number of model variations Derby produce now.

I don't see any of it as a problem so long as we all understand what we are getting at.:)
For you yes, but in a forum where large numbers including visitors read the posts, it's best to be accurate with terminology and describe or illustrate where possible so as to inform and not mislead those still picking up the knowledge.

With chainrings and chainwheels, they are specific and very different, one word cannot substitute for the other, unlike the examples you gave where they effectively mean the same thing.

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Seems the German Ebay seller dosn't have a 10tooth so I'll just have to change down and use the 12tooth on the rear derailleur to get longer range. Top gear is an 11tooth on mine so 41T-11T-11T

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's a pity NRG, his range was so good I hoped he might have included a 10 tooth.

There must be quite a demand for alternative motor sprockets for the Panasonic unit, given the way he's expanded his choice since starting with a 12 tooth.