A Crank Call

wd0021089

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 21, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne
Eddie I don't think you are correct in what you are saying, if memory serves me right it was the Yamaha that people were referrring to when they said it was more like a moped not the Tonaro.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
As you've seen from the many crank drives now, that is changing and there is another exciting development on the way which must remain under wraps at present.
Now wait a minute, you can't titillate us with this sort of information and then clam-up. Now you have mentioned a new development, you are bound by forum etiquette to reveal all ( ebike info, not your trouser equipment). You may be asked to leave the forum unless you, play the game and do the decent thing.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Yes have to agree (for once) Bad egg, what!:p

forgot to mention the other day when I saw this.....it is a new crankdrive system....am I getting warmer?lol

http://www.xhybrid.de/tmp/x hybrid.pdf

Oops! silly me its another Bosch system bike! but a cracking looker! Shame step through has rear battery (for the wife:()
Hmm...the X speed looks like alow enough frame for her and under 20kg. frame a bit like the 905 wisper

XHYBRID LINE

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry, but commercial confidence must take precedence.

Suffice it to know that all is not standing still in the e-bike world, but then it never really has since the late 1990s.

The conundrum is that there's always something new just around the corner, but if we always waited for it, there wouldn't be an e-bike market to produce new things!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Sorry, but commercial confidence must take precedence.

Suffice it to know that all is not standing still in the e-bike world, but then it never really has since the late 1990s.

The conundrum is that there's always something new just around the corner, but if we always waited for it, there wouldn't be an e-bike market to produce new things!
surely you can at least reveal if it is BRITISH! (however unlikely that may be:D)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
My money would be on Wisper extending their range to include a crank driven model. This is purely a guess.

schoe

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2010
Great looking bike Eddieo but HOW MUCH IS IT? Its like comparing a Rolls Royce with a Mini. The Mini is still fun to drive and gets you from A to B but the Rolls Royce looks better and is more stylish but costs about 6 times as much as the Mini. I don't see how you can compare that to a Tonaro?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My money would be on Wisper extending their range to include a crank driven model. This is purely a guess.
Unlikely, this was ruled out a long time ago. David did check out the Panasonic system in prototype Wisper form, but decided it was too different from their philosophy on what e-bikes should be.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
but would they develop there own (mucho $$$$) or use an existing system......I think Kudos were contemplating using the bosch system. But Tony said it is a "new" one:confused:

BUT if Tonys says it is BRITISH! you may well be correct.

come on Tony spill the beans!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Unlikely, this was ruled out a long time ago. David did check out the Panasonic system in prototype Wisper form, but decided it was too different from their philosophy on what e-bikes should be.
well if not British or German and its Chinese it has to be EZEE!

but developing your own system to compete with the likes of Bosch/Panasonic is a serious level of investment....

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think Kudos were contemplating using the bosch system.
I wouldn't bet on that, my money would be somewhere else. And no, I won't reveal that opinion either!

BUT if Tonys says it is BRITISH! you may well be correct.
It's not. Britain is long past the point where there is any hope of leading the rest of the field straight off the mark. The nearest we can get to useful innovation is by new ways of using other's systems in the way Cytronex did.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Great looking bike Eddieo but HOW MUCH IS IT? Its like comparing a Rolls Royce with a Mini. The Mini is still fun to drive and gets you from A to B but the Rolls Royce looks better and is more stylish but costs about 6 times as much as the Mini. I don't see how you can compare that to a Tonaro?
if you have to ask you probably cant afford it?:D Seriously though, I would hazard a guess as it has twin suspension and good spec around £2400? maybe a bit more...... But could well be more as the similar spec Haibike is.

the way I look at it I can afford a super bike but not a super car, so why not....

Graeme

Pedelecer
May 7, 2011
Monifieth, Dundee, Scotland
I wouldn't bet on that, my money would be somewhere else. And no, I won't reveal that opinion either!

It's not. Britain is long past the point where there is any hope of leading the rest of the field straight off the mark. The nearest we can get to useful innovation is by new ways of using other's systems in the way Cytronex did.
This is all very intriguing...

Let me put my twa pennies worth of wild speculation in the pot...

A well known and respected UK Hub bike supplier, has seen the light and has teamed up with flecc and various mysterious and shadowy figures to produce a Crank Drive that will be added to their well respected and market leading Hub Bike range. Am I close? I could name names, but I won't... :)

Graeme

Pedelecer
May 7, 2011
Monifieth, Dundee, Scotland
In my uninformed and humble opinion, I would be completely shocked if the Wisper philosophy didn't change in the near future.
David, post your thoughts?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is all very intriguing...

Let me put my twa pennies worth of wild speculation in the pot...

A well known and respected UK Hub bike supplier, has seen the light and has teamed up with flecc and various mysterious and shadowy figures to produce a Crank Drive that will be added to their well respected and market leading Hub Bike range. Am I close? I could name names, but I won't... :)
Nope!

I won't be making any announcement and am not involved. Looking forward to a ride though.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In my uninformed and humble opinion, I would be completely shocked if the Wisper philosophy didn't change in the near future.
David, post your thoughts?
You might have to be shocked then!

Although there is a theoretial advantage to drive through the gears, for most users areas it's not necessary and the advantages of a hub drive can take precedence.

These are primarily simplicity, motor or controller replacement at a fraction of the cost of a crank unit, addition to existing bikes, stealth with some models, and no increase in transmission wear and tear.