A Cyclamatic conundrum?

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Ah, but degrees of what Keith, obsession, delusion, insanity.

That's a grocer's apostrophe you inserted there by the way. :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

obsession,delusion,insanity...i remember it well when i was a lad,the 3 degree's.. i was "obsessed" with her big boobs..:eek: .. deluded i was going to get near them, and "insanely" was my girlfriend when i stared at the telly when they was on t.o.p.s...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now please get the punctuation crap of my thread cos I don't understand any of it.
Thanks for the response onmebike, I do appreciate it. I do have a bias against cheap e-bikes for a complex set of reasons which I won't go into here except to say it's from taking a far wider view than that of the consumer, but there's no doubt they can often give good enough service to more than justify their prices.

I can't do much about the punctuation posts, it's a feature of this forum that we do at times tend to wander off subject especially in light hearted banter. However, as here it usually happens when a thread has run it's useful course, so no harm is done and it keeps the overall mood light.

regards, Tony (also!)

Last edited:

Gottherd

Just Joined
Jan 25, 2010
I too bought one of the Cyclamatic Power Pro e-bikes this week. I've been aware of e-bikes for a while but thought I'd wait some years until the technology advances enough to make them affordable to someone on a limited budget like me. But when I saw the price of these bikes I thought I might as well take a bit of a gamble.

It arrived with the front tire inflated but the back one as flat as a pancake, which was a bit worrying. The seller said I should just go ahead and pump it up, and if it does go back down then to take it to the local bike shop and they'd refund the cost of replacing the tube. I'm hopeless enough with normal bike tires, and I've heard that the back wheel is especially difficult to do on this bike(?).

My first impressions are positive. It's certainly more powerful than I was expecting. I took it on a route that would usually leave me barely able to walk if tackled with my normal bike, but with the Cyclamatic it took much less time and a fraction of the effort. The only thing I'm still learning is how to use the right gears with in assist mode, but I'll figure that out soon enough. What I especially like about the experience is that it allows you to set your own pace, so you can still get a decent amount of exercise without exhausting yourself. It's also a lot of fun!

On the negative side - as others have said on this forum - who knows what will happen in a week, a month or more, or how difficult it will be to replace the battery or anything else come to that. Ah well, we'll see.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I too bought one of the Cyclamatic Power Pro e-bikes this week. I've been aware of e-bikes for a while but thought I'd wait some years until the technology advances enough to make them affordable to someone on a limited budget like me. But when I saw the price of these bikes I thought I might as well take a bit of a gamble.

It arrived with the front tire inflated but the back one as flat as a pancake, which was a bit worrying. The seller said I should just go ahead and pump it up, and if it does go back down then to take it to the local bike shop and they'd refund the cost of replacing the tube. I'm hopeless enough with normal bike tires, and I've heard that the back wheel is especially difficult to do on this bike(?).

My first impressions are positive. It's certainly more powerful than I was expecting. I took it on a route that would usually leave me barely able to walk if tackled with my normal bike, but with the Cyclamatic it took much less time and a fraction of the effort. The only thing I'm still learning is how to use the right gears with in assist mode, but I'll figure that out soon enough. What I especially like about the experience is that it allows you to set your own pace, so you can still get a decent amount of exercise without exhausting yourself. It's also a lot of fun!

On the negative side - as others have said on this forum - who knows what will happen in a week, a month or more, or how difficult it will be to replace the battery or anything else come to that. Ah well, we'll see.
Welcome to the Cyclamatic owners club:D There are choices for battery so don`t panic. My wife is the owner and she loves the thing and keeps up with me on my 36V.
I just fitted a new heads up extender to bring the bars up a bit higher for her ( 75mm)and a set of full SKS mudguards + a handlebar end mirror.
Take it as it comes and you might well be moving up to a dearer bike next time. Just enjoy the freedom.

Gottherd

Just Joined
Jan 25, 2010
Thanks. :)

If it even lasts a year I'll be happy, and it's a good introduction to e-bikes that I otherwise wouldn't have had.

The instructions were relatively easy to understand as well and not too badly translated. Well, except the bit that says 'Mever [it the natteru omtp water.' anyway. :confused:

After ploughing through th BS. will a wispa battery fit these bikes??. I looked at the mtb one and had no markings or labels on it.
Thanks Eddie

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
I somehow doubt it Eddie. The Wisper 14 ah battery is big.

Width: 95 mm
Front to back: 110 mm including slide
Height: 330 mm

Anyway, you wont need to worry about a new battery for a good while yet.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
'Mever [it the natteru omtp water.'
Free translations, "Never ride the bike in the rain", or "Never use a hosepipe on the bike", or "Never ride the bike while snorkelling". :)

Seriously, many e-bikes, including some expensive ones, have similar strictures in their handbooks, the makers playing safe.

You should get 18 months from your battery, maybe more.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I think its "Never put the battery into water".

I collect examples of Chinglish for preservation - ironically with my extended family I am also responsible in a small part for their demise - the best(worst?) examples get emailed to my Mum who is now a pre-school teacher in Malaysia, and teaches English to that nations rising generations and she uses them to show the kids what not to do when writing English..

The Wisper manual has some wonderfully avuncular advice, like old style British instruction manuals. It reminds me a lot of the original MG and the "Safety Fast" ethos...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I collect examples of Chinglish for preservation -
My all time favourite is Japlish. When Japan first entered the export camera market, an early 35 mm camera, the Walzflex, started the handbook text with this reference to the supplied neckstrap:

"The camera is used while hanging by the neck".

Tintaglia

Pedelecer
May 23, 2007
Nr. Newquay, Cornwall
My all time favourite is Japlish. When Japan first entered the export camera market, an early 35 mm camera, the Walzflex, started the handbook text with this reference to the supplied neckstrap:

"The camera is used while hanging by the neck".
Our favourite came as instructions on how to use your car's horn - "If a pedestrian is in your way then at first tootle him melodiously. If he still does not move then tootle him with more vigour" - lovely!

On the original thread subject we have been "foolish" enough to order one of these Cyclamatic bikes purely for a change and as a bit of fun. At that price it seemed like a gamble worth taking, I'm sure we could get most of the money back selling it on if it's not a complete basket case and hopefully the warranty will cover that. We get tremendous interest in our electric bikes and do find that the only thing putting people off buying one is the price, I think many people would go on to buy a better bike if they had a reasonably good experience with an entry level one, but obviously the reverse is true and a bad first experience would put them off for ever.

As we own three Lafrees we do know what a quality bike should feel like, (and if we had the money there would be several other quality bikes in our garage!!) so we will let you know how we find the Cyclamatic when it arrives. As much as we adore our Lafrees we know we are on borrowed time with them now as regards spares etc. and we quite fancy a bike with a throttle again for certain conditions (particularly badly rutted uphills where you can't pedal without catching your pedal on a rut and falling off :D )

Gottherd

Just Joined
Jan 25, 2010
Well, some three weeks on and no massive problems yet, although it has started slipping in and out of gear around gears 3 and 4. It started after the handlebar came loose - my fault as I'd forgotten to tighten it during assembly!. Adjusting bicycle gears is something which fills me with dread, so I may end up taking it into the bike store instead.

It's been especially helpful recently when I've been without a car and needing to get to the doctors or to the next village for food. It's quite a long slog as it is, nevermind with a backpack full of shopping, but with a pedelec it's actually fun.

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Slipping in and out of mid range gears maybe due to the cable needing cleaning and lubricating rather than the actual gear mechinism needing adjustment. The recent weather and all the salt/sand on the road will play havoc with this. If you haven't already done it, I would recommend a clean up and squirt or three of WD-40

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Well, some three weeks on and no massive problems yet, although it has started slipping in and out of gear around gears 3 and 4. It started after the handlebar came loose - my fault as I'd forgotten to tighten it during assembly!. Adjusting bicycle gears is something which fills me with dread, so I may end up taking it into the bike store instead.

It's been especially helpful recently when I've been without a car and needing to get to the doctors or to the next village for food. It's quite a long slog as it is, nevermind with a backpack full of shopping, but with a pedelec it's actually fun.
As Jason has said it could well be the cable in need of a touch of thin lubricant but only happening after moving the bars to me points more to the cable might need adjusting a touch. Tip the bike onto the stand so that you can turn the wheel with the pedals, try to see if the gears are going onto each gear OK. Have a look at the position of the gear mech when you put it into one of the gears that are jumping around and see if the gear mech is lined up correctly with the cog. You`ll probably find that it is slightly out of line and you can adjust the position with the cable adjustment where the cable joins with the gear mech. Screwing the adjuster out and away from the mech will tighten the cable and will tend to get the gear mech to want to change up to the next larger cog, loosening the adjustment (srewing it in)will tend to push the mech towards the next smaller cog.

Checking the alignment when you are on the smallest cog is not a decent guide because there are two adjustments screws on the mech to restrict the amount of movement (called stops) if they are adjusted correctly (as they probably are unless you have adjusted them) then the mech will sit perfectly on the smallest cog even with the cable removed because the built in stop will be aligning it. If the cable is too loose then when the front changer clicks into the number 6( I gather yours is like my wifes and has 7 gears) it won`t have moved the gear enough to get the chain in the middle of the cog so cable adjustment is of importance.

A simple way to adjust the cable: undo the retaing nut that secures the cable to the gear mech. Check and make sure the gear mech is under the smallest cog and when you turn the pedals it runs ok with no noises. Now if that is ok (and it should be unless you have been turning any screws) make sure the front changer is on 7, screw the adjuster that the cable goes into at the mech right the way in, pull the cable tight (by hand should be enough) tighten the cable securing nut. Now there should be a small amount of slack in the cable that you can adjust out by turning that cable adjuster out untill it is taught and just starts to move the gear mech towards the second cog, back off a touch and then lean the bike onto the stand and run through the gears. You should find they all change ok.

Sounds complicated but it`s not once you have done it a couple of times and you will need to make adjustments in the future so it`s better to learn it now really.

If you have any doubts or problems then E mail me(in my profile) and I will E mail you back with my phone number and I can talk you through it.

Dave

Gottherd

Just Joined
Jan 25, 2010
I wish I'd read the two posts above before I'd taken it in, but then again it only cost 8 quid so no biggie. Thanks very much for the advice though. My old (non-e) bike has the same problem, so I think one day soon I'll make a cup of strong tea, print out Old Timer's post and see if I can fix it. I'm not as scared of messing up with that bike as I don't use it anymore.

I think it's been over a month now since I bought the Cyclamatic. Enough time that I feel able to publicly come out as an e-bike user :

YouTube - Cyclamatic Power Plus

These are just my first impressions. I was just talking off the top of my head so some of the stuff I say about the legal/technical side is probably wrong (?).

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I wish I'd read the two posts above before I'd taken it in, but then again it only cost 8 quid so no biggie. Thanks very much for the advice though. My old (non-e) bike has the same problem, so I think one day soon I'll make a cup of strong tea, print out Old Timer's post and see if I can fix it. I'm not as scared of messing up with that bike as I don't use it anymore.

I think it's been over a month now since I bought the Cyclamatic. Enough time that I feel able to publicly come out as an e-bike user :

These are just my first impressions. I was just talking off the top of my head so some of the stuff I say about the legal/technical side is probably wrong (?).
Great little video. Just showed my wife the clip (it`s her that has the Cyclamatic Plus) Her feelings are the same as yours, it didn`t cost a fortune but she is having lots of fun with it.

I notice you have changed the headstock for an adjustable one? I fitted a extender to hers for a more upright riding position and a set of full SKS mudguards.

Well done

Dave(old timer)

Last edited:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009

What were you using to shoot the video??

Dave

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Gottherd really enjoyed that video helped me get a grasp on some things which is a feat in itself. ;)

Scatty

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2009
I couldnt watch no more than 32 sec's made me dizzy, did not know we had a earthquake recently :eek: