a thanks to all on forum

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Hi all I just have to say many many thanks to all here who have helped me on my electric moped. as thanks to matthewslack and what he told me about the motor wires etc, the moped now runs after 3 months of not working. I just had to kneel down and pray LOL before the big moment of testing. this is also with old controller, Not tried as of yet with the new controller. But on display it did show up on full throttle as 43Km/h but will try later tomorrow with new controller too. I don't really know what's best controller to use on moped.
old controller is image IMG_0858.jpg and on full throttle it said 43 Km/h I have not tried new controller yet IMG_1758

I noticed at 1st wheel was lumpy moving by hand this was before I plugged in battery. then I remembered a video on ebay what says if you hold any 2 phase wires together wheel will be lumpy turning like a brake is sticking as I looked down at wires 2 phase wires was touching soon as I parted them wheel was ok

thanks to

Nealh
wheeliepete
guerney
flecc
vfr400

Attachments

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think you and all those you have mentioned above need a good pat on the back for perseverance.
Well done, and enjoy. I bet you didn't guess how much you were going to learn!

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hi all I just have to say many many thanks to all here who have helped me on my electric moped. as thanks to matthewslack and what he told me about the motor wires etc, the moped now runs after 3 months of not working. I just had to kneel down and pray LOL before the big moment of testing. this is also with old controller, Not tried as of yet with the new controller. But on display it did show up on full throttle as 43Km/h but will try later tomorrow with new controller too. I don't really know what's best controller to use on moped.
old controller is image IMG_0858.jpg and on full throttle it said 43 Km/h I have not tried new controller yet IMG_1758

I noticed at 1st wheel was lumpy moving by hand this was before I plugged in battery. then I remembered a video on ebay what says if you hold any 2 phase wires together wheel will be lumpy turning like a brake is sticking as I looked down at wires 2 phase wires was touching soon as I parted them wheel was ok

thanks to

Nealh
wheeliepete
guerney
flecc
vfr400

WOW!!! :oops: YOU DID IT?!?!??!! That was an epic effort! I'd enjoy the bike and wear out your old controller, rather than risk going through any small fraction of any of the preceding ever again! "If it aint broke, don't fix it!"? (Wish I'd suggested something elseful)

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
WOW!!! :oops: YOU DID IT?!?!??!! That was an epic effort! I'd enjoy the bike and wear out your old controller, rather than risk going through any small fraction of any of the preceding ever again! "If it aint broke, don't fix it!"? (Wish I'd suggested something elseful)

Yeah I cant believe after 3 months I've got it going with help from you guys here, its took a lot of hard learning etc, but what I've learnt here I couldn't have known myself. so I'm so grateful to you people. I was in no hurry for moped anyway as it was way too cold. to ride it this weather. I had only put wheel on temp to try it out had not connected the 3 phase wires but like I said before when I tried turning wheel by hand, I couldn't believe it. as it was lumpy like brakes was sticking, but i knew it cant be brakes as I hadn't even fitted brakes then. But I remembered this YouTube video, as when I looked down at phase wires on the floor 2 was touching. so knew something was a good things as never had that before

I may try new controller tomoz just to see if its any different on the speedo display as full throttle it said 43 Km/h which is about 26 MPH but then it maybe because I had a fully charged battery. 53.8V

The only problem now is tidying up all the wires lol as its bare shell now then got to replace back cover side covers seat etc etc LOl but the moped has had a full MOT now lol

Apologies if I have not mentioned anyone who has helped me

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Well done that man!! :)Respect for your perseverence on this one. I had my head in my hands more than once, so I hate to think how you felt. Now you know the motor works , get it all bolted back together and insulate all those wires well, asp. inside the motor, before further testing.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Well done to you for sticking with it and a superb effort from those on here that helped you along the way. There's some very knowledgeable, talented and helpful folk on here, you owe them a virtual pint lol

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
43km/h is the no load speed, the actual real world speed will be lower and I would have thought about 32km/h. This is still more then erider 15 should be which is stated as 25km/h.
Well done though for getting it working, credit to Matt for the last bit regarding the motor wire info as this is not as seen on ebike motors regarding the extra wiring.

The old one at 25a will give you more torque and may give a 1 or 2 mph more then the 22a one, the new one you may find could be restricted but you won't know unless you try it.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You are likely now the foremost knowledgeable guy on internet forums who knows anything about the erider 15 now, so go fwd and brag about it on the erider forum as well :):);).
I doff my hat to you for sheer perseverance with what appeared to be a dark alley.

Reactions: flecc

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
43km/h is the no load speed, the actual real world speed will be lower and I would have thought about 32km/h. This is still more then erider 15 should be which is stated as 25km/h.
Well done though for getting it working, credit to Matt for the last bit regarding the motor wire info as this is not as seen on ebike motors regarding the extra wiring.

The old one at 25a will give you more torque and may give a 1 or 2 mph more then the 22a one, the new one you may find could be restricted but you won't know unless you try it.
Yes Nealh you are right 43Km/h. Is the No load speed as not sitting on moped and riding it. But 32 Km/h. Is about 19 mph. I think ERider are on about there ERider model 15 when it had 4x 12v SLA. Batteries or maybe 2x 24v ones. As that sounds about right 25 Km/h. About 15 mph. I had a little feeling all was ok as like I said when I was turning the wheel before I had attached phase wires it was very lumpy made me feel like what have I done wrong. But when I looked below wheel 2 of the phase wires was touching and that’s how you test them which I learnt from that YouTube video soon as I separated the wires wheel was ok

I had never had that happen before. So I knew it was a good thing.

I will connect new controller tomoz just to see what speedo says. But like you said old one maybe best bet.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For sure the lion 48v will have far more pep then the old sla's.
Keep us posted with the test rides, I think 32km/h loaded will be not far off. One never gets the no load speed on the road .

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
For sure the lion 48v will have far more pep then the old sla's.
Keep us posted with the test rides, I think 32km/h loaded will be not far off. One never gets the no load speed on the road .
I’ve decided to use the old controller 25a like you said other is 22a. I never knew there was liquid Insulation Tape would this be ok to put around cable at axle end where it comes out. Or is that not a good idea

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You went all 12 rounds! We'll have to call you "Rocky Billyboya" ;)

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
You went all 12 rounds! We'll have to call you "Rocky Billyboya" ;)
Yeah watch ya back u never know who’s behind you lol. Well I wasn’t going to give up on moped that wasn’t a option. Not after what I’ve been through. But god I’ve learnt loads now. But I’ve learnt most from this site. I can’t stop trying moped lol will bloody wear out the throttle at this rate lol. It’s like a dream atm. I’ve ordered a thumb throttle with voltage indicator and a key so be glad when that arrives. I was going to use liquid Insulation Tape at where cable comes out of axle but have now decided to fit a grommet instead

Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I syringe white WP grease in to my axles.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You have a spare controller now so a back up if it is ever needed.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I syringe white WP grease in to my axles.
do you mean this, as I've now decided to fit a rubber grommet at least it should protect cable a bit.

You have a spare controller now so a back up if it is ever needed.
Yes true but like you said the 25A will be better, But I am going to try the new controller today just for a test, not take moped out for a ride I don't mean. as its got to have covers and side panels fitted back. that will be a bit awkward, but like they say if it came off it has to go back.

Did you know about this test for checking phase wires for continuity, as my wheel never did that, obviously because of the loose wires etc and botch job previous owner did.

Also with this temporary thumb throttle it seems now since removing old grip one fitted by previous owner this is a much more controllable one. as grip one seemed a bit too sharp, like it had a mind of its own. be even more better when this one arrives

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Well this is strange as new controller don't work at all, just tried it on moped. nothing happens. in the image below

1= The Alarm, as it has 2 connectors on old controller
2= Self Learn wires I believe
3= 1 go to display, 1 goes to horn, indicators, and headlamp box on left of handle bars
4= Thick Red Live, Black Ground, Orange controller switch
5= 3 phase wires
6= throttle
7= 5 x hall sensor wires
8= 4 wires red, black, green, purple

in image IMG_1502.jpg no 4 was joined except where thin red is that's orange on new controller

and Image IMG_1503.jpg was where I joined phase wires

so I am baffled why new controller wont run moped.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
1502 what colour wire under the white sheath ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Does the motor wheel work in PAS mode with the old controller ?

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
1502 what colour wire under the white sheath ?
Well The idiot who messed with moped previous owner, had made wire black, But I think it should be Red, but that is the live from where you plug in battery