A trailer for ebike or non ebike towing.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What is your local authority guerney as access may vary.
I've just checked:

"Anyone arriving at the centre without a booking will be turned away, with no exceptions."

..worse, they've stopped accepting visits from residents from my area to a tip about a mile away, which is managed by another Council - my nearest tip is now 9.5 miles away! Doable, because I have an electric bike, but even so a bit nuts.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Seems recycling is booming in popularity and Councils are struggling to cope.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What is your local authority guerney as access may vary.
And they want photo ID on arrival! I'll have to dispose of all those bodies elsewhere... The M6 is built now, I can't bury them under that anymore.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I've just checked:

"Anyone arriving at the centre without a booking will be turned away, with no exceptions."

..worse, they've stopped accepting visits from residents from my area to a tip about a mile away, which is managed by another Council - my nearest tip is now 9.5 miles away! Doable, because I have an electric bike, but even so a bit nuts.
This usually regards cars, they i believe generally have to make an allowance for those who don't drive ans it is discrimination.
A guy on another cycle forum went to Horsham RC with his bike trailer and was turned away , it is the next big town near me approx.8 miles away. It like my on eis run by contractor Viridor so I asked at mine and the bloke said nope.
So finally last week I thought I would get on the case and emailed by W.S.C.C operations manager before getting the local MP involved, but didn't need to other as I got this nice email in reply today.

Thank you for your recent communication and for taking the time to contact us.

I can confirm you are able to use your electric bike/trailer to dispose of your own household waste at our Crawley Recycling Centre and are not required to book a slot in order to do this. Please ensure you take some ID with you, preferably a photographic driving licence, should you be asked for it.

When you arrive at site, you will be asked to drop off your waste with the Information Officer at the site entrance, and staff will then take this material to the relevant container for disposal.

We will look to update our website with relevant information to assist residents going forward, should they have a similar enquiry.

I hope this clarifies things for you, but please contact us should you require any further information.
Kind regards
Gill Hughes
Contracts Officer
Wastes Management Services

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
And they want photo ID on arrival! I'll have to dispose of all those bodies elsewhere...
Yes one has to prove that they are a local resident.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This usually regards cars, they i believe generally have to make an allowance for those who don't drive ans it is discrimination.
A guy on another cycle forum went to Horsham RC with his bike trailer and was turned away , it is the next big town near me approx.8 miles away. It like my on eis run by contractor Viridor so I asked at mine and the bloke said nope.
So finally last week I thought I would get on the case and emailed by W.S.C.C operations manager before getting the local MP involved, but didn't need to other as I got this nice email in reply today.

Thank you for your recent communication and for taking the time to contact us.

I can confirm you are able to use your electric bike/trailer to dispose of your own household waste at our Crawley Recycling Centre and are not required to book a slot in order to do this. Please ensure you take some ID with you, preferably a photographic driving licence, should you be asked for it.

When you arrive at site, you will be asked to drop off your waste with the Information Officer at the site entrance, and staff will then take this material to the relevant container for disposal.

We will look to update our website with relevant information to assist residents going forward, should they have a similar enquiry.

I hope this clarifies things for you, but please contact us should you require any further information.
Kind regards
Gill Hughes
Contracts Officer
Wastes Management Services
Well done Nealh, that there is a result! I might try something similar. Thanks, that's good info...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I've just checked:

This is the same for my local RC but again refers to cars, if arriving by bike they won't be expecting anyone but a local to turn up.

You need to do as I did and contact the County Council contracts officer to get clarification then if need be get the local MP involved for rights to access.
In my email I used the Green initiative as my concern and that future transport needs are moving to fwd and more will look at other alternatives with high costs of motor purchase, any thing green is buzz word at the mo and gov't is trying to encourage us to be so. Even if it just to win votes form the young.

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I used the contact form on W.S.C.C web page and ticked the box requiring a reply within ten days so yours should be similar.

Keep your mail polite and to the point of only being a cyclist and reliant on it as transport, press generally the green/eco affect of your usage. I pointed out on a cycling uk website that a thread page regarding access that some 70% of uk RC accommodated green recycling arrival by cycle/trailer combo. If they spout BS about H & S regarding no pedestrians then you are not a pedestrian as you are arriving on a four wheeled human powered vehicle also if pedestrians aren't allowed how to people manage to get out of their cars to swan about to unload as they all become pedestrians.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This is the same for my local RC but again refers to cars, if arriving by bike they won't be expecting anyone but a local to turn up.

You need to do as I did and contact the County Council contracts officer to get clarification then if need be get the local MP involved for rights to access.
In my email I used the Green initiative as my concern and that future transport needs are moving to fwd and more will look at other alternatives with high costs of motor purchase, any thing green is buzz word at the mo and gov't is trying to encourage us to be so. Even if it just to win votes form the young.
So your argument targeted hypocrisy and shortsightedness regarding the green angle? Very canny... I wonder how many other bike trailer users have also experienced this difficulty? Must be a sizable minority by now, discriminated against for being green, preferring flower power. I'll find out who or what operates my nearest site. It's probably outsourced to contractor, who has the advantage of not having to supply pensions or decent wages, while hiring and firing at will.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's not the contractor one has to contact but the County Council as we are their paymaster. All are out sourced but the CC have the last say as they franchise out the contract.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I used the contact form on W.S.C.C web page and ticked the box requiring a reply within ten days so yours should be similar.

Keep your mail polite and to the point of only being a cyclist and reliant on it as transport, press generally the green/eco affect of your usage. I pointed out on a cycling uk website that a thread page regarding access that some 70% of uk RC accommodated green recycling arrival by cycle/trailer combo. If they spout BS about H & S regarding no pedestrians then you are not a pedestrian as you are arriving on a four wheeled human powered vehicle also if pedestrians aren't allowed how to people manage to get out of their cars to swan about to unload as they all become pedestrians.
It's no wonder that fly-tipping is at an all time high. It's not just drivers who need to throw things away. This policy shoots them in the foot, as Councils will have to cart items like cookers etc. left in streets and streams, one at a time at higher cost.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's not the contractor one has to contact but the County Council as we are their paymaster. All are out sourced but the CC have the last say as they franchise out the contract.
Thank you, I'll get onto them before I cart my rubbish all the way over there... in what will probably be a Homcom, which I am on the verge of ordering. The tyres and inner tubes are standard, even if the wheels aren't... people have reported being able to replace bearings, I could use Marathon Plus for puncture resistance. And steel welding kits are cheap... If it's abominable, I could get permission by then to carry it to a tip using a Carry Freedom.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Loaded up and hit the Worth way cycle track today.

IMG_20220413_115201 cf2.jpg

IMG_20220413_120624 cf1.jpg

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Loaded up and hit the Worth way cycle track today.

View attachment 46534

View attachment 46533
Very cool! How much does all that weigh? If I didn't know those crates contained bees, I'd hazard they were full of Winchester rifles! It's a good job those bees are downwind... Are they getting excited by the warmer weather? What are those bolts in your new board, which the straps connect to? That Roadrat looks awesome!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The boxes are empty just containing frames and drawn wax combs, I have never weighed an empty box but the larger ones will be approx 15 -20lbs and the smaller about 12 - 15lbs . The load towing felt heavy as the push pull effect was noticeable when not on a straight run and up to speed.

The rings are 20mm D rings available cheaply on fleabay. I drilled the fixing hole out to take a m5 bolt and each side used a 20mm penny type m5 washer to spread the load to prevent pull through. Straps are 5 ton ratchets with hooks.

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I daren't carry any with any bees in, I would use the car as all the trundling along on the rough ground would rile the bees.
Also I wouldn't be able to carry that many if they were full of honey, each of the larger boxes would be some 55 lbs or so and the little ones would be 40 lbs or so.
Max trailer tow weight is 90kg/198lbs and quite a haul to tow even maxed out.

The reason why I added a longer/wider base was for stability carrying the load at a lower CofG, with the smaller base I could only carry the boxes in one stack and four made the CofG more top heavy.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tomorrows same journey will be lighter with my gear in the container box strapped on.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Tomorrows same journey will be lighter with my gear in the container box strapped on.
It's wise to avoid angering bees! :eek: I've only ever been stung once and I recall it being extremely painful. I'd vexed a bee when I was about 5 years old, hand swelled up, and of course that bee died. :( If you had to carry bees using a bike trailer, a route next to a canal to run and plunge into, might be a good idea?

Is denser honey a sign of good quality? Or is is all dense and heavy? With the BBS01b and 66kg split between rucksack and rear pannier bags, the bike was much less speedy... it still coped with hills on lowest gears, but was sluggish. A trailer laden with 90kg could be towable with a much smaller chainring than my present 52T, if it wasn't for the QR release axles on my bike, which the CF website warns about only being safe of up to 50kg... and even if not, towing 90kg+trailer would put an awful lot of stress on my bike frame... :eek:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
used a 20mm penny type m5 washer to spread the load to prevent pull through.
How thick are those washers? If they start warping with really heavy loads, I suppose you could double them up with even larger washers, or go with 15mm plus 20mm or something. Doen't look like the original holey design of the CF board would leave enough floor space for your intended cargo.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The holey design is one reason I went for the D rings nearer the edge , the hooks trying to grab hold of the ply base through the floor holes is fraught with issues, not least slipping from lack of a good anchor.
Washers I doubt will bend they are approx. 1.5 - 2mm thick.

Todays cargo load.
IMG_20220414_123310 cf6.jpg

Related Articles

Advertisers