A trailer for ebike or non ebike towing.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The holey design is one reason I went for the D rings nearer the edge , the hooks trying to grab hold of the ply base through the floor holes is fraught with issues, not least slipping from lack of a good anchor.
Washers I doubt will bend they are approx. 1.5 - 2mm thick.

Todays cargo load.
View attachment 46539
If it were me, I'd go completely overboard and saw 20mm off some 6mm thick 20mm wide mild steel bar (I've got some lying around which was bracing a door, preventing burglars from bending the wooden door away from the deadlocks, which happened to my neighbours. The door has since been replaced with a big UPVC triple locking version), drill holes into it and use those instead of washers... which wouldn't at all be appropriate to the cargo weight you mentioned. Plus mild steel would rust, so I'd have to buy some stainless steel bar from ebay...

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I found the limit for my trailer today which I won't do again, as I thought the axles might break under the strain. Popped in to a nearby GC for some manure & compost, 300 ltr's of quite heavy bags was too much for comfort riding the two - three miles home.
The CF large is 90kg rated load, I have weighed my load of 300 ltr's and it came up as in excess of 124kg, in future I will have to limit the load to 150 -200 ltr's.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney and sjpt

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I found the limit for my trailer today which I won't do again, as I thought the axles might break under the strain. Popped in to a nearby GC for some manure & compost, 300 ltr's of quite heavy bags was too much for comfort riding the two - three miles home.
The CF large is 90kg rated load, I have weighed my load of 300 ltr's and it came up as in excess of 124kg, in future I will have to limit the load to 150 -200 ltr's.
Is your bike axle ok? What are you going to grow with so much heavy sh*t? ;) (Sorry, I couldn't resist) Potatoes? I highly recommend the Kikkadigga. Despite how it looks, it's very robust - mine has lasted over a year so far:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not the bikes axle I was concerned about, t'was the trailer axles they did look a bit over strained.
My 300 ltrs is for general soil improvement for plants/flowers and my fruit producing plants in the garden, 300 Itrs doesn't go very far. I try and introduce more planting each year for pollinating insects.
There use to be a couple of equine places nearby and a local little community type farm, I shall have to go and see if they are still there and try and cadge some animal muck for the garden.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
37% over max payload is probably far beyond it's designed safety margin. On QR axles, it's 50kg max for the CF Large:

Because of my bike's dainty QR axles, I'm sticking to 45kg max for the Homcom Hombre.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There use to be a couple of equine places nearby and a local little community type farm, I shall have to go and see if they are still there and try and cadge some animal muck for the garden.
Be very careful about that! If the animals have been grazing in fields which have been sprayed with Roundup weedkiller, you will have a completely dead barren garden where nothing but grass grows. Happens a lot, and it's horrifying when it does :eek:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm ok with the CF towing weight at 90kg as my alfine axle is 10mm and not QR.
The Ute is QR so 9mm but I can chop and change depending on max wight to tow, carrying a spare QR isn't an issue.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'll be carrying around a spare QR too - luckily I have one left over from the old wheel. The mobile bike toolkit keeps growing lol...

Peddlin' Pedro

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
West Sussex, UK
This usually regards cars, they i believe generally have to make an allowance for those who don't drive ans it is discrimination.
A guy on another cycle forum went to Horsham RC with his bike trailer and was turned away , it is the next big town near me approx.8 miles away. It like my on eis run by contractor Viridor so I asked at mine and the bloke said nope.
So finally last week I thought I would get on the case and emailed by W.S.C.C operations manager before getting the local MP involved, but didn't need to other as I got this nice email in reply today.

Thank you for your recent communication and for taking the time to contact us.

I can confirm you are able to use your electric bike/trailer to dispose of your own household waste at our Crawley Recycling Centre and are not required to book a slot in order to do this. Please ensure you take some ID with you, preferably a photographic driving licence, should you be asked for it.

When you arrive at site, you will be asked to drop off your waste with the Information Officer at the site entrance, and staff will then take this material to the relevant container for disposal.

We will look to update our website with relevant information to assist residents going forward, should they have a similar enquiry.

I hope this clarifies things for you, but please contact us should you require any further information.
Kind regards
Gill Hughes
Contracts Officer
Wastes Management Services
Nicely done Nealh. Got no response to my last two emails to WSCC and was about to get the district cycling forum on the case when I saw your post. I can see the WSCC site still shows bikes as being prohibited at Horsham so will email again.

PS. On-topic: I've two CF Y large trailers, one used for event kit & bike transport and the other for maintenance & training jobs.

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have seen your pic before but didn't know you were local.
Is your TSDZ2 on stock firmware ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All though I have the WSCC response and on my phone, I haven't yet tested out the theory.
On the RH10 recycling centre page it now say's bike access prohibited, pretty sure it never used to. Despite what the WSCC officer has said, I 'm not sure any access rights have be relayed/passed on.
She said the website will be altered but see no sign of it yet.

I expect you have seen my post on cycling uk forum.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Do you know the all up weight of your CF ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I used the contact email on the reccyling website, the reply took all of the ten days, one has to also request a reply within ten days and believe there was a check box on the email request page.

Peddlin' Pedro

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I have seen your pic before but didn't know you were local.
Is your TSDZ2 on stock firmware ?
Afraid I reluctantly gave up with the TSDZ2 in the end as it just couldn't cope with what I needed to move and the hills around Horsham. Running a detuned BBSHD with current pulled back and 42/42 for climbing.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I had a look at the carry freedom up on eBay for around £100, it went for £200+, suppose that's the market price seeing as they are £550 or so new.
Then a bit of an oddball turned up in the similar items eBay notification. An Ikea Sledda, powder coated Ali, Ali wheels, Bamboo slats, originally made to complement the IKEA Sledda belt drive sbike, now discontinued.

Got it for £110, arrived brand new in box, just assembled, it's a cracker. Towbar converts to a handle to wheel it around.

It's loaded with a 5ft unicycle and 1m stilts for tonight's trip, now without the car!

PXL_20220601_153946717.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looks pretty good for £110, esp as it is as new.

Reactions: jimriley

Related Articles

Advertisers