A trailer for ebike or non ebike towing.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Todays heavy load.

I need to change the hitch position and fit a straight inline hitch to the rear of the bike and a straight tow bar to the trailer bed. The one major flaw I have found since I enlarged the flat bed is the weight and the wide swing arm draw bar causes the bike to still fall/tip over, even with a wide stance center kick stand. Hence in the pic I have used a gas cannister to prop the trailer from tipping the bike over.

Or possiblly it needs a jockey wheel on the bend of the tow arm.
DSCF1429.JPG

DSCF1430.JPG

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That does look heavy. It's great nothing falls off. Does it handle oddly, not being on the centreline? CF offer an expensive (as usual) support arm for propping up.

I can't get a straight line with the Homcom hitch arm, not with a 50kg load. Can't get the QR tight enough, always rotates downwards.

I was debating whether to attempt moving a big old electric cooker using the CF Small Y. It would just about fit, if it didn't move. But it's hilly and it'd be dangerous and awkward. Weighs 52kg, is 1.3m long, 55.5cm wide and almost 60cm deep. Securing it to the flatbed firmly would be a challenge, even with ratcheting straps... just a couple of cms of movement either side could be catastrophic on the road, would hit the wheels. Decided against it - too wide.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With my ratchets and anchors points the load doesn't move much mor ethen 1 or 2mm.
Cars couldn't miss be today with a high load and the diamond strips high up, they won't miss the flags when they arrive as are 18" x 12".

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
My IKEA trailer is great, however, when empty or running light it has flipped over hitting a bump with one wheel, this has snapped the grp flagpole. It's 6mm dia. Inserted into the rear frame. Snapped where it enters the frame.
My thoughts are that I need some sort of spring and a metal flagpole, so the spring would bend when the pipe hits the deck. Any thoughts on the idea or sourcing a spring welcome. The grp could possibly survive if a it had a spring base, so maybe 7mm ID tight wound spring 100mm long?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For a pole one could simply opt for a green shoot of Bamboo, the stuff is everywhere and am sure if one hasn't a plany could ask any one with one for one cutting.

I have ordered a £6 F/G pole but if it breaks or I have issues I shall pop over on to the rail embankment and cut a shoot or two down growing at the end of my garden.

Pole mounting wise for trailers there is very little to choose from over here.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
Exactly so. I'm pondering one of those door buffer springs that screw onto the skirting board.
I have bamboo canes, there is also some growing in a local wood, however it wouldn't survive any better than the GRP, just snap off where it enters the trailer frame.
5 here for £2.28 if you have a toolstation nearby............

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Bamboo though is cheap and free.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
5 here for £2.28 if you have a toolstation nearby............

Top man I hadn't thought of those, will be ideal for my use on the trail as many bushes and low branch bits.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Thinking about it the dorr stop spring may e to springy and bendy, one may need something a it firmer and dearer.

AERIAL MOUNT - BARREL SPRING (STAINLESS STEEL) | eBay
That looks very like the USA flag spring posted earlier. However it might be too strong, it's for a long aerial with greater leverage. It needs to readily bend 90deg and return, or the flagpole would still snap. Also a bit expensive to buy and try. I'm off to root in my shed for the door stop spring, I may be some time... ;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I'm back, given it a quick try with the remaining pole, only .5m long, it falls over, spring too weak48369

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I had a feeling this may be so, I posted a cheaper spring base at a tenner.

Last edited:

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Just ordered one, medium duty. Arriving later this week. Will report back.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have modified my already modified CF large.
The larger 9mm birch ply floor flex's using the rachet straps when tying down my large lidded boxes and bee boxes, so I have done my winter modding job early ready for next years usage.
I bought some 30mm box section ali and using a mapp gas torch and low melt point ali brazing rods have made up a rectangle sub chassis for the ply floor. I used sash cramps to keep the box section material in place and having prepped the joints brazed them ok, for more strength rigidity of the joints I also brazed some small ali angle fillets to the internal right angle joints of the sub chassis.

The brazing is quite easy, one uses the heated ali temperature to molten the ali braze rod and not heat direct via the torch. One heats the ali box to temp and when hot enough 330c or 430c ( depending on if one is using 300 or 400c melt point ali rods) one simply runs the ali rod along the hot joint to form a fluid brazed joint.

The original Y frame is used as it is the axle carrier as well as also being the tow arm attach point, this sits under the sub chassis. The ply floor, sub chassis and Y frame are all bolted together as one in five places using m8 80mm cs head ss bolts. In several other places the floor is bolts to the sub chassis using m8 55mm ss bolts.

See if I can take a pic of the underside of the trailer tomorrow.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
So, you reckon you could move a body then ?.

Reactions: jimriley

Related Articles

Advertisers