Abuse when wearing helmet cam

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
A few comments/observations...
I like the quality of that camera, I think I'll have to get one! I use a non branded 720 can which only cost £8 and is so small it's barley noticed, possibly like the one referred to by ronnyuk.
People stare at me when I'm on my bike when not wearing an obvious helmet cam and 'tards always make "interesting" comments (I look as if I should be riding a big motorbike - apparently).
You are far braver than I as it looks as if you are riding through some of the "badlands", the sort of places I'd steer clear of (long story but had bad experiences in areas like those).
Don't let the experience put you off... Keep on keeping on ;-)

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
A few comments/observations...
I like the quality of that camera, I think I'll have to get one! I use a non branded 720 can which only cost £8 and is so small it's barley noticed, possibly like the one referred to by ronnyuk.
People stare at me when I'm on my bike when not wearing an obvious helmet cam and 'tards always make "interesting" comments (I look as if I should be riding a big motorbike - apparently).
You are far braver than I as it looks as if you are riding through some of the "badlands", the sort of places I'd steer clear of (long story but had bad experiences in areas like those).
Don't let the experience put you off... Keep on keeping on ;-)
I would definitely recommend that you buy the SJ4000. My brother owns a GoPro silver and I actually prefer footage from the SJ4000. Go for it ;)

Thank you for your kind encouraging words :)

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
Inspired by this thread, I just bought a helmet cam, for use while I'm urban. And I *want* other road users to know that they are being monitored, so I bought one that really looks like a helmet cam. I've seen a few incidents where a car driver didn't give a bike as much room as they should.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wearable-Helmet-Camera-Action-Video-Camcorder-DV-DVR-Pocket-Outdoor-Sports-GD1-/201067118845?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item2ed088c0fd

Big Brother is watching you!

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Inspired by this thread, I just bought a helmet cam, for use while I'm urban. And I *want* other road users to know that they are being monitored, so I bought one that really looks like a helmet cam. I've seen a few incidents where a car driver didn't give a bike as much room as they should.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wearable-Helmet-Camera-Action-Video-Camcorder-DV-DVR-Pocket-Outdoor-Sports-GD1-/201067118845?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item2ed088c0fd

Big Brother is watching you!
I'm glad to know that someone else has benefited from this thread. Good luck with your helmet cam :)

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
Do not get upset by a few mindless chimps
I just think of all the extra cake I can eat after the ride.
As with most abusive people , it's usually a lack of intelligence

Reactions: CorpusLuteum

freddy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 4, 2011
Never had a problem wearing my headcam on either my bike or my horse. I used to wear a little bullet one which was very discreet, now use a gopro still not had any problems. Don't really care if I do tbh.
Once when on my horse I did have a very angry man waving a metal bar around and ranting at us....until I tapped my headcam. Amazingly he calmed down instantly. Just as well he didn't know the batteries were flat lol.

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
If you mount the camera on the handle bars you'll have to point the bars at whoever you are intending to film, helmet cam follows your head so at least picks up what youre looking at. As Freddy points out above once a cam is reogonised people's attiude change....or maybe its because I look a little like Grant Mitchell:D

Reactions: CorpusLuteum

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
If you mount the camera on the handle bars you'll have to point the bars at whoever you are intending to film, helmet cam follows your head so at least picks up what youre looking at. As Freddy points out above once a cam is reogonised people's attiude change....or maybe its because I look a little like Grant Mitchell:D
Like these?

http://rosskempfolds.tumblr.com/

Also I decided to take the plunge and get a camera today(2 actually) noticed a cheap ebay listing for some MD80 cameras, went for 2 as I'm not sure the battery life will be enough with 1. Going to try for it mounted on my bag strap, if I can get into the habit of using it then I will upgrade, pointless spending more if when I do evenually need the footage it had a dead battery or I hadn't bothered switching it on.

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
I mounted the camera on the handlebars today and I don't particularly like the footage. The camera angle is too low and obviously doesn't follow my head movements. The whole purpose of a helmet cam for me is to be able to see who hit me in case of an accident and I think the handlebar mount can limit that. I think I'm just going to have to stick with my helmet mount and get used to the weird looks. The benefits clearly outweigh the cons. Thank you everyone for your help :)

Reactions: flecc and D C

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Perhaps someone could help with mounting... I have the gopro and a mount on my helmet, no problem. Every day I ride to the post office but can't really go in there with it on my head so bought a bar bracket for that. Only issue is the cam is bolted to the bar bracket so ant be swapped between helmet and bars without unscrewing. I know I could take the helmet off, but with all my packages to weigh and stuff it ens up being dropped on the floor. I really need a quick release mount for the bars. Any ideas?