Advice - New To E-Bikes

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I would like your advice really - I am looking at selling my car (it’s the 2nd car in the household) and getting an Ebike to commute to work.
Now I am 13 stone, 25 years of age and of average fitness. I would use the bike to commute to work (Each way 9mile - round trip 18mile) of which I can charge the bike each end of the journey.
I'd have roughly £1000 to spend on a bike or Kit.

I live in Birmingham City centre and would be travelling out. Its relatively flat but what I'd like it a e-bike that is over my needs as such if I feel fatigued etc and also need a bike that can cope with the commuter distance of 20 miles. I'd prefere it to be a hard trail or road push bike.
I'd also like it to have a throttle grip as it would be more familier to me with riding motorbikes.

I also own both a full car and bike licence so maybe something that is marginally over the over rated power won't be to much of an issue (Providing I either get it registered / insured / Mot'd)

My main concern with this kit is the range on the bike. Can you please advise me if it would cope with that commute and if there is anything we can bespoke to get the kit on a longer range (I.e. adding an extra battery pack as the weight wouldn't be much of an issue).

I'm technically minded and good with a spanner (Having rebuilt cars in my spare time) however electrical motor's are a new concept I can't see it being that difficult to sus out.

I also don't mind building a bespoke kits if a) I can get a better kit b) Slightly cheaper.

I love the site and have read many new starter articles but its all a bit of a mind field and giving you guys a heads up to my needs I am hoping you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Scott Farnham

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I think the Alien Aurora is ideal for you, range is slightly under 20 miles on high power for me, but i've got 3 stone on you with probably much more hilly terrain, and realistically, you'd switch to medium assist to eek out any extra range you need. You'll exceed 25 miles in medium, and somewhere between 30 and 50 miles on low.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Keep in mind the Aurora is not legal having a 350w motor, some are comfortable with this but you may not be.

I would say the vast majority of bikes will cover your commute with ease especially if you are going to put some effort on as well. Also don't forget to factor in wet weather and cold weather clothing plus some tools and additional lighting and security.

If you can go for a test ride and checkout as many bikes as possible, it's worth it.....

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Afternoon All,
Thanks for the quick response's. I've seen a couple of replies about the Alien Aurora bike. Is there any other alternatives or suggestions?

I mean on paper it seems to tick all the boxes but are there any other kits that I should be considering or builds I can complete as a project?

I would be putting in effort - more so on the run home as I can shower once I get home. I work in an office so would not really want to turn up stinking.

I'd also only really use the bike in nice weather - If the weather is poor I'd use the train. Its just I need a project a hobbie to keep me going or something new as I get bored once I complete something.

I've recently spoken to a company called xipi that are looking at soloutions for me on conversion kits using their knowledge. But cross examination and your experience is worth its weight in gold really.

As far as bike gear goes I have alot of Kit i use for all weather riding on motorbikes. Ok alot of that is far chunkier but things like gloves / summer jackets are transferable.

Thank you

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
In that case Ezee have a comprehensive if somewhat costly range of kits and parts or for a little less Alien also have some nice kits that may suit....

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Thanks for the help. I will look into this further as its definetly something I'd like to do!

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Sunlova Kit that Donna is selling in the classifieds section - would this be worth a punt for my needs?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
A used bike can make sense if you haven't enough funds for the best makes.......In particular a Wisper with its transferable warranty:)

D

Deleted member 4366

I know I'm starting to sound boring, but I guarantee that this bike will do everything you want:
http://sunlova.com/Detail.aspx
E-8F26M03S They're right on your doorstep, so go and try one. They're friendly and helpful and if you go there with cash, you should be able to get a discount on that price £556.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Thanks they are right on the door step (I can actually walk there in about 20 mins. Hoorah)

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
d8veh, you cant post a link to an ASP database like that, it doesnt work.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
The sunlova looks like a decent bike but remember just like the Aurora it has a large frame.

The Aurora is above the legal 250W limit although you wouldn`t really be able to pick it out of a crowd and it`s very handy tp have the extra power when needed. Like NRG says, it is not legal and riding around town might be a bit more dodgy that just riding for pleasure around the countryside.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
In the real world terms does it actually have that much more power than the sunlova though?
All the talk of watts / peak doesn't really translate to how it will really perform?

I take it in simple terms the higher the constant wattage the more powerful the motor. The higher the AH on the battery the longer it will last (Based on the Volts and effciency and usage) but will the Aurora with that extra 100watt of power really make the difference?

In percentage terms the extra 40% in watts really deliver that much?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It can make a lot of difference, since the 250 watt and 350 watt figures are notional ones for legal purposes, a sort of average over time. In reality all these motors have maximum continuous power capabilities which are much higher. The mainstream bikes have maximums of around 450 watts, some higher powered ones like eZee and Wisper more like 550 to 600 watts, and I'd expect the Auraora to be capable of continuously outputting around 800 watts. So the gap can be more like 300 watts in the case you mention, and that alone is sufficient for a low powered e-bike.

In all cases the short term peak possible is much higher again. My "250" watt eZee motor peaks at just on 1000 watts, so I'd expect the Aurora to short term peak at well above that.

D

Deleted member 4366

The 350w BPM motor in the Aurora is more powerful, quicker accellerating and about 4mph faster (when in full power mode). If you use the extra power, the battery goes flat quicker, so it depends on how far you want to go. Also, you have to remember that it isn't legal on the road without tax and insurance and registration. Normally, nobody would bother you, but if you have an accident where someone gets hurt, it'll automatically be your fault and you'll have to pay, as well as getting prosecuted. I'm 16 stone and unfit, but the Sunlova has enough power for me. Only on the steepest hills do I puff a bit, but at 13 stone, you'll fly up them. The Bafang motor in the Sunlova is about as powerful as you can get that's legal. It'll deliver 750w up a hill acoording to my wattmete,r and on my 30 mile commute to work and back, which is fairly flat (850ft climb total), it gives a range of about 50 miles with moderate (for me) pedalling. It's a pretty good bike as standard, but a couple of minor mods can make it even better.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Ok got you, its just for someone new coming into this there is alot or terminology and figures that are thrown about that in realy world terms and performance don't exactly tell a full storey.

Ie with a car you know that Horse power and torque are your two main power contributors. Then it comes down to how that power is laid down across rev range / gears and weight.

I'm just trying to get to a common understanding and then getting myself out and building one / buying one that matches my needs.

are there any more powerful motors than the 350watt the Aurora has?

By the sounds of it the sunlova is pretty much fine for my needs but I'm really interested in this whole business (Love learning new tech and to be honest the way fuel prices are gonig more and more people with be using some form or motorised vehicle using battery tech) so i may as well learn this fast!

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Sure are, BMC is one well known type but there many more, mostly direct drive though. Electric Bikes - Electric-Bikes.com

All this talk of power and the motor is misleading, a motor will draw as much current as it is allowed to until it destroys itself, the controller is the gate-keeper and will be set to supply a controlled amount of volts and amps to the motor and also control the amps drawn from the battery. The controller is an effective voltage to current converter using PWM to control the motor. You can take a 250w nominal motor and supply more current to it, it will produce more power up to a point. To make it spin faster you supply more voltage.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ie with a car you know that Horse power and torque are your two main power contributors. Then it comes down to how that power is laid down across rev range / gears and weight.
The main differences with our legal speed electric hub motors is the torque is at maximum from zero revs and stays close to that up to nearly half the speed range, so roughly to about 7 to 8 mph. Then it slopes off quite fast.

The power starts with none at zero revs and rises until it reaches it's peak at about half or a bit over the speed range, so 8/10 mph, then it tails off slowly. Maximum efficiency is at about 85% of speed, say about 13 mph, again, all these for a legal speed 15 mph e-bike. The optimum climb speed is where the rising power curve hits the torque curve just as it's about to drop, typically about 7 to 9 mph, so one should always aim to pedal assist to keep a bike climbing around that point to get the most help from the motor.

All a bit different from car ic engines.

are there any more powerful motors than the 350watt the Aurora has?
Yes, some of the direct drive motors are between 1000 and 2000 watts rated, but they are a bit OTT. Canadian BionX make their 350 watt rear wheel motor in 250 and 500 watt versions as well.

As NRG says, all limited by their controllers to the designed power.

One more thing, watts are gross or net. Gross watts are the current passing from the battery as measured in that 750 for the Sunlova stated above. Net watts are what comes out in drive power onto the road etc after the efficiency losses, and are typically about 75% of the gross figure. A dynamometer is need to measure that, though that can be calculated from an actual set of figures, total climb weight, climb speed, gradient.

N.B. 746 watts net = 1 hp

Last edited:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Thanks very much for all the knowledge and links - theres some interesting read's on there and the varying tech's that go with it. I've always been very good with Mechanical knowledge but electrical is a bit of a minefield for me.

I don't think I'd need anything faster than 20 to 25 mph (As you say on a pushbike its pretty scarey and there's not much protection) an I've fallen off motorbikes at 30mph in full leathers and It still hurts so going any faster is worrying.

Its just I would like the motor to be able to still pull / push me up a hill at say 12mph, with a range of 20 mile unassisted.

I think i would be fine with the sunlova kit but its always nice to know you have a bit extra should you require it.

Like having a larger engined car, you won't use that power but its nice to know if you need it - its there.

The info above is great though.