Advice - New To E-Bikes

D

Deleted member 4366

Remember that we're talking about electric assisted bicycles that basically have all the advantages of bicycles, but you don't get puffed out or tired legs. If you want to go 25mph, you should think about a 50cc restricted motorocycle (moped or scooter) which is faster, cheaper, longer range, more comfortable, etc, etc. than an electric bike. All legal electric bikes will assist you to about 15mph, then you're on your own. The average speed on my commute is about 14mph and for the 386miles I did in January was 12.85mph. I think you would go a bit faster, but only if you pedal harder. I'm sure that you'd beat me in a race.

Good point Flecc about the 75% efficiency, so 750w from the battery is about 550w at the wheel.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you want to go 25mph, you should think about a 50cc restricted motorocycle (moped or scooter) which is faster, cheaper, longer range, more comfortable, etc, etc. than an electric bike. All legal electric bikes will assist you to about 15mph, then you're on your own. The average speed on my commute is about 14mph and for the 386miles I did in January was 12.85mph. I think you would go a bit faster, but only if you pedal harder. I'm sure that you'd beat me in a race.
I very much agree with this for legal e-bikes. Over more than four years of riding a Giant Lafree, my average solo speed was 12.1 mph, dropping to exactly 11 mph when towing heavily loaded trailers. That relatively high trailer towing average resulted more from bravery down hills than bike power though. I was able to average 16 mph overall on my powerful but legal eZee Quando, but again that resulted from letting the bike have it's head on the long downhill stretches in my North Downs area. In a flatter area the average would probably have been about 14 mph.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Ok brilliant, i'm wanting to stay away from scooter's. Been there and done it in my younger day. I'd like to keep to bicycles and all the advantages that come with it. Plus the cheap running costs. I think i may give the kit donna is selling from sunlova a go and buy a newer bike to fit it to. A little bit of me would prefer the 350 or 400 watt motors for the extra torque but at the cost she is selling value wise i'd be hard to beat! I could always upgrade once i get used to it all.

D

Deleted member 4366

Its a good kit, but you need a bike that fits it and even then you'll probably need to buy a few extra bits: You'll probably need a single chainwheel as there isn't enough room behind a tripple for the pedal sensor and, even then, you'll need a long BB spindle (131 mm); you need a thumb-lever type gear changer on the rhs because anything else will get in the way of the throttle; make sure that the fork drop-outs are on the inside of forks and that the gap stays that wide for at least 100mm up the forks to clear the motor. The rest is fairly straight forward. Have a look at Donna's bike and see how she fitted it, as she must have overcome these problems.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Its a good kit, but you need a bike that fits it and even then you'll probably need to buy a few extra bits: You'll probably need a single chainwheel as there isn't enough room behind a tripple for the pedal sensor and, even then, you'll need a long BB spindle (131 mm); you need a thumb-lever type gear changer on the rhs because anything else will get in the way of the throttle; make sure that the fork drop-outs are on the inside of forks and that the gap stays that wide for at least 100mm up the forks to clear the motor. The rest is fairly straight forward. Have a look at Donna's bike and see how she fitted it, as she must have overcome these problems.
You can like some of us have done fit the sensor on the opposing side to the chainring.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can like some of us have done fit the sensor on the opposing side to the chainring.
Not with this one because it's an optical sensor. You need to get the special LH version, which Sunlova can supply, and even then you still need a 127mm BB spindle.

donnoirf

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2010
KINGS NORTON BIRMINGHAM
My gear changer is/was twist. Having twist throttle also made it a bit tricky but it works out.
I requested a sensor for the left side as it was easier for me as a none mechanical person to fit. However the spindle was still a bit short so I had to make it fit in my own way. But it works

Sunlova had agreed to order me a smaller thinner sensor and controller that was due in end Jan. I will follow it up on Monday.
I noticed the sunlova kit on eBay and online store has changed with new style sensor, thumb throttle, and added dash board. 30 quid cheaper than previous version.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Could i not just use the thumb throttle instead though? I'd be buying a new bike to go with the kit. This way i can get something thats compatible with the kit.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's a lot better with the pedal sensor. Before I bought my first e-bike, being also a motorcyclist, I wanted a throttle, which I used quite a lot at first, but very rarely now. It's not easy to get a constant power with a throttle compared with the pedal sensor, which feeds in the power just how you want it (except it gives a bit too much when starting off). So, better to fit a pedal sensor if you can -plus you need one to make it legal!

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Yeah i can understand that. I.e when going up a hill would prove to be difficult while pedaling and twisting throttle.

What does bb stand for sorry? Again terminology i'm unsure of.

Still as long as the kit would help me out every now and then down when i got to hills or was to fatigued. I mean i'd probably only use it in the nice weather and use the train if the weather was horrible. Just like the idea of having a pushbike to ride down the shops quickly or into town in 5 mins. As i live in an apartment in the city center. The wife uses the car space so my car currently sits on the road not doing much.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Ah ok. I remember snaping a couple of them in my old bmx days. Until i brought a decent 3 piece set. I'm sure i can get the sensor to fit. Where there's a will there's a way.

Actually quite excited to be getting back into a project!

D

Deleted member 4366

Once you've seen how everything fits and what the potential problems are, you should be able to make it work. So, as I said before, you should go and see it and have a chat with Donna. I have modified my sensor (old type) to make it fit in a very small space and the mod is quite simple. I took some photos, If you decide to go ahead with this kit, or if anybody else wants to see them, let me know. The new sensor and controller are a much better solution and, even if you can't get them ffrom Donna, are not very expensive. I would guess about £30.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Pictures would be good if you could post them online! If not you could send them to my pm or phone.

D

Deleted member 4366

Here's the details of the mod. It would work on the LH side as well using a LH sensor. I'm using a 131mm BB spindle and mounted it behind a single chainwhel. If I remember correctly, you still need a gap of about 6mm between the chainwheel/crank and the BB. I reckon that you might be able to use a 127mm BB, or even shorter. you would have to look and see how big is the gap.

The main idea is to pop out the middle bit of the sensor, throw away the metal anti-rotation plate and replace it with a small plate fixed to the sensor with a self-tapper screw. This allows the sensor to overlap the BB so that it takes up much less space. Instructions are under each photo, but they appear in reverse order, so start with the last and use the "previous" button.
Sunlova sensor mod pictures by d8veh - Photobucket

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Brilliant thank you for the link. I will keep you posted on my progress! I'll await donna to package up the kit and i'll get it all fitted. Hopefully all the hints and tips will help me get started on my first kit install.

Excited about the whole concept. Was talking to the other half about using it to get to work and just popping round town on it! Really love the concept of it.

donnoirf

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2010
KINGS NORTON BIRMINGHAM
Great mod dev!

I had to use epoxy steel putty. Which i didnt think would hold up, but given the effort that it took to get it off just now, it was fixed pretty firmly. Another adaption I had to make was for the break cables as I only had 1 V break and reAr coaster breaks.

Sunlova had quoted me £50 quid for the sensor and controller, i kind of got fed up waiting as I had asked them in mid December, But I will buzz them tomorrow to see if they have it.

Anyway scott the good thing is sunlova is on our doorstep and they are very approachable and keen to help.

D

Deleted member 4366

Bicycle Cycling Biking Signal Brake LED Light & Horn NW on eBay (end time 15-Feb-11 20:04:40 GMT)
This device has a switch that clips to a brake cable. One could easily cut it off and join it to a typical ebike brake connector, so would work whatever type of brake lever you have. It would be useful for anybody fitting a kit, where they have the brake levers integrated into the rapid-fire type gear changer. Worth the £5 just for that, and you'll still be able to use the indicators. Just cut the cable off the supplied brake lever and join the two wires to the two on the cut off switch, if that sounds clearer.

Scotty, if you need any help give us a shout. I've fitted three of these kits, so I've figured my way round most of the problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
No problem. I'm sure once i get the kit and start building the bike in the apartment i'll come across a few problems and i'll be back on here asking for help!

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Quick update

Brought the Sunlova Kit from Donna, Thanks very much by the way.
Whole kit there already for me to fit and play.
Read through the instructions, looked at the parts and wiring and all lookspretty straight forward really.

Now just need to find a suitable bike to place the kit on. So now scouring the internet for a decent Hybrid or hard tail bicycle to attach it too.

Least doing it this way round I can get a bike it should be relativly simple to attach the kit too. Should be able to get a pretty decent, light bike too.