Agattu Stand Breakage!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That Hebie 616 in the link that Kal gives would be a good solution for the Agattu, bolting onto the rear spindle rather than the frame, like Kal's Synergie.

Derby cycles have done a very good job with the Kalkhoff design, but it's their first electric bike and in specifying the stand I think they didn't fully take into account the e-bike weight and stresses that could arise.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
That Hebie 616 in the link that Kal gives would be a good solution for the Agattu, bolting onto the rear spindle rather than the frame, like Kal's Synergie.

Derby cycles have done a very good job with the Kalkhoff design, but it's their first electric bike and in specifying the stand I think they didn't fully take into account the e-bike weight and stresses that could arise.
I think another design problem is that the angle is too wide and the bike leans onto the stand too much. Is it possible to narrow the angle and make the bike sit more upright, thus redistributing the weight, and reducing the
on the stand?

One for you Flecc, I think?
bw
musicbooks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think another design problem is that the angle is too wide and the bike leans onto the stand too much. Is it possible to narrow the angle and make the bike sit more upright, thus redistributing the weight, and reducing the
on the stand?

One for you Flecc, I think?
bw
musicbooks
Anyone could get a thick piece of rigid plastic or alloy, file it to a wedge shape and drill for the bolts, then fit it between the stand and frame with the thicker part of the wedge at the top. About 4 mm tapering to nothing would probably be about right.

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
You guys rock! Loads of solutions and ideas.

When the new stand comes i'll try fiddling with the angle or extending it. Maybe experimenting with a perfect front wheel angle it would help out.

Its interesting to see the weight limits on those Hebie stands. The 616 is not reliable enough at 30 kg. Bike weight + shopping + child seat exceeds that already.

PS handy parking tip. I have a hairband , wrapped twice round the right handgrip. When i park on a slope i pull a loop forward and loop it over the front brake so that front wheel doesnt roll.

PPS Does anyone use a steering stabiliser? eg see the velorevolution link below... Do these help when you have a heavy load in the front basket?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
PS handy parking tip. I have a hairband , wrapped twice round the right handgrip. When i park on a slope i pull a loop forward and loop it over the front brake so that front wheel doesnt roll.

PPS Does anyone use a steering stabiliser? eg see the velorevolution link below... Do these help when you have a heavy load in the front basket?
Handbrakes are great on bikes. Have a look exactly halfway down this page at the one I designed for my Q bike:

Lever handbrake

Stabiliser springs work well, some Dutch bikes have them as standard.

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
I made one similar to that. A piece of elastic cord around the down-tube with a hook on the end, to engage with with the mudguard stay. Stops the front wheel flopping back if the wheel is off the ground when on a bipod.

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
Mine broke after a few days, too.

The bloody thing is not used on bikes in Denmark, so I'm still waiting for a replacement.

On our heavy bikes I wold prefer strenght over weight saving on an item like this.

The normal solid Comp is probably stronger that the lightweigt webbed Comp Zoom

Broken again, this time in the middle.

I think I will go for the solid non-zoom version and buy two to save on shipping costs.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Broken again, this time in the middle.

I think I will go for the solid non-zoom version and buy two to save on shipping costs.
That will save the aggravation of another breakage, just so long as too much strain isn't put on the stand,
stressing the frame mount.

LazyViking

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 4, 2009
Broken stand

I've broken 2 stands so far, both caused by overloading it.

Thanks for the tips about the solid stand, but also to be careful that I don't bend the frame.

I tried to repair the 2nd stand with an aluminium strip, and it worked for a short while.

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
I bought the solid stand, and it has a much better feel than the original zoom version.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Erik

Where did you get your solid stand?

Mike