Amazon launch their first UK e-cargo micromobility hub

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That is why I consider an awful lot of people play a dangerous game when they consume fungi. Might still be statistically safe, but no thank you.
I've eaten wild mushrooms for much of my life and I still remember the delicious taste of the first one when I was five years old. But I don't know what it was since my Italian grandmother, who like so many rural continentals, had a wealth of knowledge of what plants and fungi could be eaten but had few names for them. It was she who got me into the interest, though it's a sideline natural history subject for me.

What I've gathered and eaten are very much on the safe side and why I'm still here of course. One exception is the Blusher, Amanita rubescens which I've eaten plenty of, but only after the right treatment and certain ID since it is very poisonous as one of the deadly Amanita family and similar to the deadly Panther Cap, Amanita pantherina. The family includes the Death Cap, Amanita phalloides and the Destroying Angel, Amanita virosa, the most notorious killers of them all. Despite that, another member of the family, the Grisette, Amanita vaginata is good eating and needs no prior preparation.

And of course at 86 years old I don't fret about death and haven't done for decades.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oyster

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I have it on good authority (may have been @oyster), that football pitches are where you'll find them. I've also heard that fields untilled for at least 25 years are also good places to look. They're being used by some people and institutions to treat depression - a 67 year old retired bloke I tried to buy a dubiously constructed secondhand trailer from, was microdosing magic mushrooms (he is/was/is clinically depressed) at a retreat in Spain when I enquired. He said his missus was a "Real" witch, which makes complete sense. What's your maddest trip, and how many did you consume? I hear potency varies quite a lot. I wonder if it's actually a choice between being a little weird for awhile, or depressed?
About 1/2 a carrier bag full, pretty much druid level At least a pound in weight of them, hundreds of them.
We brewed them in a pot with a coule of pints of water, strained then brewed them again which we made into 3 cups of coffee apiece(Myself and a friend). Consumed that in the space of 20 minutes
The taste is extremely earthy in flavour. We added a huge amount of sugar, and it still tasted earthy, maybe that why drank it down so quickly.

Effect. I think you'd class it as extreme.
First off there was nothing, and you're thinking that the effect wont come on, but then it starts, and it builds quite quickly(i think its quite quickly but i lost sense of time, so if could have been 2 minutes or 20 minutes.)
the room around me the walls i mean, started for want of a better term 'breathing' kind of moving in and out very slightly. Then i noticed a grumbling of the tummy(probably the gag worthy taste) that became a kind of a buzzing sensation about the abdomen, this then slowly started to spread until it was throughout my entire body, Every part felt like it was electrified, i could physically feel my hair, teeth , eyes almost like they had the same nerve endings as arms and legs.
I think i thought briefly Have I just poisoned myself ? lol
Tingling in your toes is one thing. But this was full on, entire body and if was extremely nice.
I had multiple coloured fractals filling my gaze, it didnt matter if i had my eyes closed or open, i basically couldnt see anything but
I started to lose the sensation of the world around me. The chair i was in, the TV sound sort of slowly disappeared until reality was completely gone.
All i had was my mind. I felt myself moving forward and upwards and felt i was physically in space.
I should clarify. I wasnt blind, i had forward facing sight, but i dont know if it was from my eyes or my mind, i think the latter.
I also felt i wasnt alone, kind of like there were others there but i could only sense them. It was a comforting feeling.

I think if i were to describe what that was, or rather to try to interpret what that was, I think i was feeling what nature is. As in nature that creates everything.

This was probably about 25 years back. I haven't really done mushrooms since.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I've eaten wild mushrooms for much of my life and I still remember the delicious taste of the first one when I was five years old. But I don't know what it was since my Italian grandmother, who like so many rural continentals, had a wealth of knowledge of what plants and fungi could be eaten but had few names for them. It was she who got me into the interest, though it's a sideline natural history subject for me.

What I've gathered and eaten are very much on the safe side and why I'm still here of course. One exception is the Blusher, Amanita rubescens which I've eaten plenty of, but only after the right treatment since it is very poisonous as one of the deadly Amanita family, the worst killers of them all. Despite that, another member of the family, the Grisette, Amanita vaginata is good eating and needs no prior preparation.
About 1/2 a carrier bag full, pretty much druid level At least a pound in weight of them, hundreds of them.
We brewed them in a pot with a coule of pints of water, strained then brewed them again which we made into 3 cups of coffee apiece(Myself and a friend). Consumed that in the space of 20 minutes
The taste is extremely earthy in flavour. We added a huge amount of sugar, and it still tasted earthy, maybe that why drank it down so quickly.

First off there was nothing, and you're thinking that the effect wont come on, but then it starts, and it builds quite quickly(i think its quite quickly but i lost sense of time, so if could have been 2 minutes or 20 minutes.)
the room around me the walls i mean, started for want of a better term 'breathing' kind of moving in and out very slightly. Then i noticed a grumbling of the tummy(probably the gag worthy taste) that became a kind of a buzzing sensation about the abdomen, this then slowly started to spread until it was throughout my entire body, Every part felt like it was electrified, i could physically feel my hair, teeth , eyes almost like they had the same nerve endings as arms and legs.
Tingling in your toes is one thing. But this was full on, entire body and if was extremely nice.
I had multiple coloured fractals filling my gaze, it didnt matter if i had my eyes closed or open, i basically couldnt see anything but
I started to lose the sensation of the world around me. The chair i was in, the TV sound sort of slowly disappeared until reality was completely gone.
All i had was my mind. I felt myself moving forward and upwards and felt i was physically in space.
I should clarify. I wasnt blind, i had forward facing sight, but i dont know if it was from my eyes or my mind, i think the latter.
I also felt i wasnt alone, kind of like there were others there but i could only sense them. It was a comforting feeling.

I think if i were to describe what that was, or rather to try to interpret what that was, I think i was feeling what nature is. As in nature that creates everything.

My only try was even further back.

Everything was so s...l...o...w. I tried to stand up and it took about five minutes. But whether that was because it was that slow, or just seemed it, is much more difficult to know. But from what others said, I think it really was slow.

The good bit wasn't that night. But the next day, and onwards for maybe a couple of weeks or so, I simply felt good. Calm, bright, aware, and somehow happy. If that was from the psilocybin then I really can see why it could work as an anti-depressant.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Calm, bright, aware, and somehow happy. If that was from the psilocybin then I really can see why it could work as an anti-depressant.
I've never had any interest in trying hallucinogenic mushrooms and never will, just as I've never tried any illicit drug and never will.

In the same vein I don't drink alcohol. My mind is fine and working extremely well as it is, so I see no point in messing with it.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I'm sure it's been said on here before, but as someone once remarked "All mushrooms are edible, but some only once"

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: oyster and Nealh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sure it's been said on here before, but as someone once remarked "All mushrooms are edible, but some only once"
The vast majority of wild fungi are not worthwhile eating, far too tough or far too fragile and shrinking to almost nothing, or simply not tasting good.

A proportion can provoke various gastric upsets which can cause short term discomfort on occasion, while others have hallucinogenic effects.

A smaller proportion are good eating.

A very tiny proportion are always deadly when eaten, but so small a proportion that few people outside of fungi hunters ever come across one. However, the nature of the death they cause is horrifying.

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
An amusing aspect of Fungi Walks. We've held them for years with a couple of us leading them, normally low key and attended by no more than 20 people, even that being more than can be accommodated on narrow woodland paths with everyone getting a look in.

One year the rest of the committee of our organisation thought it would be a good idea to publicise the walk more widely which the two of us opposed, but we weren't listened to so the committee majority got their way with more publicity.

On the day of the walk 56 people turned up, roughly half of them carrying trugs or similar baskets expecting to fill them with edible mushrooms! So we had to start by telling them that as usual, on no account would any edibility advice be given and being National Trust land, picking mushrooms to take them away breached the NT by-law 2b**.

**2(b) No unauthorised person shall dig up or remove, cut, fell, pluck or injure any flowers, plants, fungi, moss, ferns, shrubs, trees or other vegetation growing on Trust Property or remove any seeds thereof or injure any grass or climb any tree.

Last edited:

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021

I had a horrible time. 260 boiled into coffee and no amount of sugar could reduce the earthy taste. Started "Coming up", as they say, felt like vomiting and then spent the next 12 hours being what I can only describe as "Haunted" by some very unhappy prescence who would not stop sending me extremely unhappy communications. To my perception he was distressed and trapped under the floor, which seemed as a pane of clear hard glass. A couple of days later, I discovered a good friend living 5 miles away had hung himself that night. Suicide.

Ever since then, I get a head's up when anyone has died - I'm harassed while sleeping, or disturbed in sleep by some prescence trapped under the ground made of glass, or a black hole appears near me (which I see while I'm asleep). Then I try to find out who among the people I know or have known has died. It has always been someone I knew well.

No I cannot explain it, but I'm sure Druids found this sort of thing useful for whatever their religion was. I’m an atheist and do not believe in any of that guff, religious or so called “Spiritual” (or aliens). Must be a flashback which remains. Haven't touched magic mushrooms since, and it's been decades.

Oh and about 5 seconds before the badger jumped directly under my front wheel, I ignored a very aggressive wild animalistic vibe coming from my left. But I did slow down a bit.

It's worth being cautious with magic mushrooms IMHO. I feel they permanently changed me, but I can't define how.

Make anything of the preceding that you will.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My only try was even further back.

Everything was so s...l...o...w. I tried to stand up and it took about five minutes. But whether that was because it was that slow, or just seemed it, is much more difficult to know. But from what others said, I think it really was slow.

The good bit wasn't that night. But the next day, and onwards for maybe a couple of weeks or so, I simply felt good. Calm, bright, aware, and somehow happy. If that was from the psilocybin then I really can see why it could work as an anti-depressant.
I was right! You found a fungi you liked!