annoying clicking noise

Fir3mansam1964

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 7, 2019
Hi all I have a wisper 905SE crossbar bike and it's great had it over a year and it's done 2'842 miles so far.
It has annoying clicking noise even I'm riding it, it's there when I pedal and the re when I free wheel.

Can't see anything catching anywhere & it doesn't do it if I'm not on it i.e.just wheeling it or lifting back wheel and running by throttle.

anybody else had this issue?

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I have this sort of problem on mine sometimes.
What I find is that it is caused by the type changing shape when my weight is on the bike - making the tyre catch on the mudguard. It is a pain to fix.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Brake discs /pads ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We like a bit of leg pulling humour.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Clicking spokes need attention, otherwise they break, so check that all your spokes are tight. The other common cause is the disc brake. To test that, remove the caliper and tie it out the way, while you go for a short ride. Obviously, you need to be careful while you ride the bike with only one brake.

Reactions: Fir3mansam1964

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Another vote for spokes, I had that annoying click for months before putting one small drip of oil on each spoke where it goes through the hub and another drip at the nipple/rim interface o_O

Fir3mansam1964

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 7, 2019
Another vote for spokes, I had that annoying click for months before putting one small drip of oil on each spoke where it goes through the hub and another drip at the nipple/rim interface o_O
Would a drop of vaseline be better?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
New or old pads will still cause a ticking/clicking noise if the rotor has a slight distortion and will touch the pads on every rotation.

For spokes pluck all of them to see if they sound similar pitch wise , spokes on both side may have differing tension so pluck one side then the other. Loose spokes are noticeably different .

D

Deleted member 25121

An obvious one but worth a try - could there be a small stone trapped in a tyre tread?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If it is spokes clicking buy a spoke key and then go a round all nipples and tighten an 1/8 or 1/4 turn any loose one will easily move. Spin the wheel and look at the rim/wheel between the horizontal stays to see if there is any noticeable movement, if so rim will need to be retrued and tensioned,

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Clicking spokes don’t automatically mean you need to adjust the tension, check them by all means but I’m still using the wheels I mentioned earlier with no adjustments to spoke tension in over 1000 miles :cool: