Anomalies for chinwag.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Here's a rabbit hole. I jinxed the 10000 mile YOSE motor.

The controller[36/48v KT sine 14a] has done about 5000+ miles in 48v mode
Motor 250w 36v as mentioned 10000+
PAS & 1 to 4 cable changed for new once a year[ish]
KT LCD3 over 10000
Throttle half twist a year old

So I got caught in a mini blizzard lasting about 15 mins, so I am assuming some sort of water ingress.

I went about 4 miles yesterday all was in sound working order, however the journey back was fraught with a few minor motor sputters and judders, then a quick error 1, switching on and off, error 1 then error 3, on and off again then PAS and throttle would not engage. After a brief pedal I restarted the kit to find, a brief motor engage, followed by a grinding noise, quickly dying to no power, but 1000w on the LCD [never goes about 652 @ PAS5] and either high speed readings or 00mph.

A tad more no power pedalling then I unplugged the throttle, switched her back on and power and PAS was restored enough to make it home although it did feel a bit sketchy limited battery info, speed reporting and wattage info was out on the LCD.

I took the motor wheel off and removed the inners[needed doing TBF] to inspect the internals a part from the lack of grease{it has turned to powder however the factory black grease around the nylon gears was a little thinner than I remember but still there] All looked ok there was some minor pitting, the outer bearings worked and no water ingress as far as I could see. I re-greased it.

This leads me to my odd question. My intention was to inspect for water ingress on the halls, now I swear I have had the side plate off this motor before, however I could not get it removed... Do all side plates, the main cover that shields the HALLS come off? I didn't want to brute force it until I have check all other avenues.

I do have...
A different battery
A new 1 to 4 cable
A new PAS
A new 17a sine
and A new throttle
Just not a motor!

I put the whole thing back together and it ran fine today for 1 mile, then it started acting up again however it did restore its self and make it to the destination. On the journey back the PAS was causing the issues however when I removed the magnets from the PAS and just used the throttle there was no issues all the way home about 3 mile.

First thoughts that come to mind folks, no major biggy I just thought it may be interesting to gauge opinions.

My Plan

Check cables
replace controller & PAS

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most likely issue is water ingress on the 5v rail.
The grinding noise you talk of may have been phase losing sync.

Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Controller then?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For the 5v the fault can be via the throttle or PAS or any 5v connection with water ingress. The controller depends on it's location but doubt any issue will be the hub unless one is ridden above the axle line or the motor cable input direction is wrong.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Keeping accidentally soggified phones inside sealed containers of rice can sometimes revive them after a few days, dries them out - I wonder if it could work with ebike bits? Or would water damage to components be too severe? And it might take longer than a few days.

• Informative

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
throttle or PAS
I have a feeling both the throttle and the PAS have failed simultaneously, on the odd occasion when rained on the throttle throws out an error 1 but then corrects without further issues. The PAS often get hits with road water and mud. The motor just gets rained on never submerged. Controller is under the seat protected from wheel spray

containers of rice
Was thinking the same. I have tried this with a PAS and it did work once although once re-installed it failed within a month.

I would hate it to be the motor, flight paths from China disrupted with current events.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I swapped out the PAS and so far everything seems smooth. The strange thing about all this is, I have replaced several PAS units over the years that most likely died due to water damage however they usually either fail out right or cut out then in then die. My question here would be what actually caused the erratic miss readings on the LCD?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most of the info is low voltage regulated so the 5v rail being corrupted by moisture will be affected.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Update - I had more vibration sounds/feelings from my motor, I will try and get a video, bearing in mind it's now covered circa 11500 miles I have pulled the trigger on the MXUS (same as @Sturmey) although I've had no response from a few questions I asked him - pswpower had 5x stock left in Germany so either way I could do with a spare if nothing else.

So far I have replaced the PAS and the throttle, checked the halls and internal cables for water ingress and visual damage, however nothing a part from a corroded speed magnet although it did still hold magnet properties. The strange part is back, when it starts the motor vibrates then after a switch off and on it works fine. I did replicate the fault briefly with a different controller so I have ruled that out but will test further. The only possibility left would be motor or some broken internal cable, phase etc. The down side with the YOSE front is you get a good 1m+ motor cable + I have a small extension cable. I have spare cables incoming.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What worked for me when I had soaked playing up electrics may do for you if you have a good dehumidifier.

I put the bike in a small room with the dehumidifier running one side and a fan heater on 1 kW only on the other side, the air flow going the same way so a constant recirculation loop. Then with window and door shut left them to it.

Checking from time to time starting an hour later, it did the trick in less than two hours.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
As an electronics professional since 1969 I have found water ingress usually leads to faulty components down the track. If your item is submerged while switched off with no battery connection it may be possible to rescue the electronics by stripping them right down and using a hair-drier to rapidly dry them out.

Re-assembling and testing can often result in a win with the item firing up and working, it's basically pot luck and you have to be absolutely scrupulous ensuring all traces of moisture have been eliminated.

• Agree