Anyone found a comfortable saddle that doesn't look odd...!?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm convinced the B17 is the work of the devil himself! I've tried many saddles but keep coming back to the Specialized Expedition or Expedition Gel. There's a Plus version for those sporting a slightly wider beam! Very comfortable for me and just about good for 40 miles before I need to 'rest'!

About £25 on-line...

Specialized Expedition Saddle | Evans Cycles

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Most comfortable saddle? Easy - Brooks B17. Snag? To have acomfortable ride today you really ought to have started in 1987 and lavished 25 years of breaking-in, saddle soap and patience on it. (Or maybe the saddle has to spend that long on breaking you in?)

Last edited:

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Hi all!

Jumped on my mountain bike this morning and rode the 13 miles into work. I must say, it never ceases to amaze me at how bl***y uncomfortable it is for a man to ride...!

Has anyone come across a comfy saddle that doesn't make your bike look, well 'special'?!

Thanks!
Mark
Hi Mark,

I know what you mean about those cheapo super thin unpadded saddles that come as standard on MTB's these days. Mine was like a bloody razor blade and the very first thing I upgraded. I got a GelTech brand one ("Premier" model) from a seller on eBay and I think it cost under £15 if memory serves, which isn't too bad. It's sprung with plenty of "gel" padding which gives it bounce and makes riding super comfortable. Obviously it does look a bit different to thin saddles but I don't think it ruins the look of the bike. Here's a pic of my MTB with it on:

Last edited:

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
Hi Mark,

I know what you mean about those cheapo super thin unpadded saddles that come as standard on MTB's these days. Mine was like a bloody razor blade and the very first thing I upgraded. I got a GelTech brand one ("Premier" model) from a seller on eBay and I think it cost under £15 if memory serves, which isn't too bad. It's sprung with plenty of "gel" padding which gives it bounce and makes riding super comfortable. Obviously it does look a bit different to thin saddles but I don't think it ruins the look of the bike. Here's a pic of my MTB with it on:

Thanks Morphix, looks good!

HD462

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2012
Teesside, UK
I bought a Bell gell saddle from Asda £13 suits me fine done 40 miles on it and it's been good for me but others may say different. I had my Haemorrhoids early 80s WOW what an experience. :eek::eek::eek:
I'm looking at those for my wife too, plenty of gel, and sprung base too by the look of it.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I think a decent saddle is the best upgrade you can make to a bike and makes all the difference, especially if you're in the saddle for the extended periods.

HD462

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2012
Teesside, UK

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
That'd do your haemorrhoidectomy at the same time :eek:

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
If anyone's interested I have a (very slightly) used Madison G14 comfort gel saddle in good condition which I no longer need. I used it for a while on old my Cytronex 7.3FX which had an extremely uncomfortable saddle.

Madison Cycle Everywear | G14Z - Comfort Zone Gel D2 men's saddle

Mine is very similar to that in the picture but with different labelling (perhaps an older model). I'd be happy to sell it for £13 including postage. Drop me a PM if interested.

I guess I should put this in the classifieds section...

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
I'm sorry but that looks like rubbish. Many people will prefer padded saddles but to say all racing saddles are uncomfortable and need padded shorts is utter tosh.
I agree the author has quite strong views and has obviously had bad experiences with racing saddles but to be fair he does invite comments to to left on his site.
I only posted this link as he had reseached the alternatives and created easy links to quite a few (weird) saddles that I did not know existed, albeit, non racing saddles, which Mark had requested in his opening post.