Anyone had an interesting ride recently ?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Care to share the photos ?

We havent had any interesting stories of peoples rides recently with lovely pics of the countryside ....it would be nice to get some inspiration of places to visit.

I did part of the Sharpness/Gloucester canal last week (sorry no pics :eek: ) mainly because I got sidetracked into a pub in a beautiful village beginning with an F (?) where they served lovely mulled cider....so that basically was the end of that ride :rolleyes:

Lynda :)

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Care to share the photos ?

We havent had any interesting stories of peoples rides recently with lovely pics of the countryside ....it would be nice to get some inspiration of places to visit.

I did part of the Sharpness/Gloucester canal last week (sorry no pics :eek: ) mainly because I got sidetracked into a pub in a beautiful village beginning with an F (?) where they served lovely mulled cider....so that basically was the end of that ride :rolleyes:

Hi Lynda, that is a very good question and the answer to that is no sorry. The weather here down in London has been very gloomy and dull with very light drops of rain here and there. It doesn't really help either having a slight nagging cold to add to it. Lynda, you are filled with lots of sunshine and happiness, so how about heading down here to change up things for us.:( xxxxxxxxxx

MS.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Here's a couple from the last week, Funkylyn ...

it really is a shame not to pop a lock on your bike and linger awhile tho - makes sense to shove life's essentials on your rack ..... sea's really warmed up these last couple of weeks.

Last edited:

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Alex, those pictures are beautiful, I know where Lynda is coming from because she is just like myself looking at calm and relaxing photographs. Where were these pictures taken? It's a pity that you didn't send much more like two filled albums amount of them, which would had kept me busy for the night.

MS.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
@ Alex......OMG....where, where, where is that ??? How beautiful, if that is on your doorstop then I am seriously jealous........it kind of looks familiar but I just cant think that Ive been there.....the town picture in particular is teasing my brain :confused:

@Scimitar.....Dave....beautiful flowers, can I have some Irish canal paths as well ?
Ireland is on my list of places to visit, sooner rather than later, as the last time I was there was aged 1 and its possibly changed in "20" years lol !!

@Mountainsport......ah, my lovely MS......now how about you getting yourself down here and we explore a few paths together ? btw.....were you at Redbridge in April ? and if not, why not ?
It would have been lovely to meet up there and do a few tests together, hatti and I had fun on a couple of bikes, you could have joined us :cool:

Or did you ? ..... incognito....hmmmmm .....that would sound like the sort of teasing thing you would like to do, if so, did you get any pictures ? ;)

freddy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 4, 2011
Last Sunday I did my normal route to get to my horse.
On passing through the first village there were lots of people standing about. They started cheering and clapping as I went by.....how strange. Then when I got on the main A road I got blocked in by a group of lycra clad serious riders. Yes I kept up with them for a good mile or so. Must have looked strange short fat granny on a folding leccy bike in the middle of the group.
Aha it was the Great Nottingham Bike ride I got caught up in. Wish I'd had my headcam on that day.

Reactions: Gubbins

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
LOL....thats a great story freddy, I can just imagine how confused you were when they started cheering
you, bet the lycras wondered what was going on as you cycled along with them

I wish you had had your headcam on too :D

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Lynda....I shipped a couple of my Kudos Secret bikes (20" light folders) out to my boat. I tour round the Ionian Greek Islands. All these islands have a similar geography-they are mountainous with a narrow coastal plain. The rides around the coast are delightful,almost traffic free,beautiful blue water,overhang by mature olive trees. Whilst the coast rides are relatively flat,any venture inland is very steep and in the current 36 degree heat very tough.
I am surprised how good these small wheeled folders are at hillclimbing and also how long the range despite the battery under a lot of stress on the steepest climbs. Whilst I do a lot of testing of my own product there is no substitute for long term usage,just like a customer-the battery display drops down to one led on the steepest climbs but soon recovers to 3 leds on the flat/downhill.I have customers who get concerned by the big drop in the leds on steep climbs but it seems to not affect the range and plenty of juice is still in the tank!
On the uphill climbs we have all realised that keeping above 6mph helps the motor to work at optimum speed and torque delivery-it required a technique(and a bit of nerve!)to go round the uphill hairpin bends quickly but it did make uphill progress much more efficient. Very rarely did I have to get out off the saddle and stand on the pedals.
These bikes on the boat add a new dimension to our enjoyment of these islands and explore more remote locations quickly that would otherwise involve lots of walking,not nice in the heat-makes getting the fresh bread a joy every morning.
The 18kg weight is about the maximum I would want to lift on/off a boat.
There are many ferries between these islands and small b&b villas are numerate-a wonderful biking holiday would be a bike touring holiday in these islands.
My favourite islands are Ithaka and Meganissi,the latter must be biking heaven
KudosDave

Last edited:
Reactions: Arbol

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Wow...well that sounds absolutely idyllic Dave....any pictures please ?

I will remember what you have said in case I get back to Greece in my m/home.
I rather wish my bike was 18kgs !!

BTW......Happy Birthday for last week......some bl££dy birthday pressie, sailing and cycling around the Greek Islands :rolleyes: :cool:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
While some of us are floating around in a yacht, Alan Sugar style, some of us are riding around scabby North Tyneside.

Still, Lynda did ask, so these pics should do nothing if not make her feel homesick.

They were taken today on my regular run from Sunderland to South Shields, across the Tyne on the ferry, and then a loop around Whitley Bay and back over the ferry.

I've not mastered captions, but in rough order, pic one shows a boat coming in to the ferry port, as it passes Marsden.

Pic two is a cruise liner already in.

Next is a pic of the ferry which is about to whisk me across the Tyne.

The street scene is pavement cafe society in Tynemouth, which passes for posh around here - there's usually a few 'ladies who lunch' around during the week.

I then trundle north for a few miles through Cullercoats and Whitley Bay, before cutting inland to the leafy village of Backworth, which is where the pic showing the tractor is taken.

There's a park bench there which is the ideal spot to get the flask out and watch the world go by.

The black blob behind the head of the blonde lass is relevant to the next pic, it shows a wagon on a wagonway.

The pic of the long straight path is a former wagonway.

They were early, unpowered wooden railways which took minerals from the mine to the quayside in small wagons.

Most were designed so the journey from mine to quayside was on a decline which meant the stuff would get there almost under gravity.

The horses would only have to drag the empty wagons back to the mine.

Still true today, which means going south on the path in the pic you can freewheel for a couple of miles, give or take the occasional road junction.

Slight downside is that the path takes you through the likes of Percy Main which is troubled territory - Meadow Well of riots fame is not far away.

The next pic shows a landscaped dene near what is now Royal Quays shopping centre - note the funnel of that same cruiseliner in the distance.

It's then a quick run through the marina before popping back across on the ferry.

The last pic is of a cover band who were playing at Whitburn village fair - I thought podgy middle-aged rockers would strike a chord with a few on here.

Fair play to them, they were quite tight, if lacking a bit of soul.

So there you are, Lynda, that was my interesting ride.

Forty miles, two blobs left on the battery, and home in time for tea.

Ride1.jpgRide2.jpgRide3.jpgRide4.jpgRide6.jpgRide7.jpgRide8.jpgRide9.jpg

Last edited:

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Here's a picture on my favourite part of the Tarka Trail enroute to the new nature reserve at Meeth. Taken on Thursday when the sun was out.

In the woods - Meeth.jpgMeeth Quarry.jpg

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I decided to give the Greek islands a miss today and headed instead for Linlithgow loch with my son and Grandson. It was an interesting ride in as much as we couldn't get right round the loch as part of the track was shut due to there being a jousting contest on near part of the track. I met a policeman on a bicycle on a tight part of the track on the far side of the loch and on the way back met a family from Manchester who were most impressed by my electric bike. As my son and the weeman went home by car, I cycled. It was right into a strong wind all the way home. I've said it before but I'll say it again. "God bless the hamsters" Uphill into the wind, that's what Ebikes were made for.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I only intended going as far as the first photo but ended up doing 24 miles, mostly off road.

Ryvoan Pass.

An Lochain Uaine. (the water really is that colour)

Cairngorm and Loch Morlich.

River Spey.

A wonderful afternoon!

Dave.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Jonah....I love the Tarka trail but I didnt know about the new nature reserve, perhaps its time I made a return visit......

Jim, cycling around a beautiful loch with your family and even seeing Jousting contests, well, it doesnt get much better than that......but

Rob, I dont know whether to thank you for that or cry ......but thats the winning ride for me, I did it a couple of years ago with my brother, but the big ship that we saw that day was one of those HUGE blackish things that Den says are car transporters .......
I have to admit I didnt touch my bike today, it was far too hot and the sun lounger beckoned.......

At the moment I am practically living on Rightmove getting more and more confused over exactly where to live, but with 2 very positive viewings here in the last 3 days I had better start whittling down the choices.......Shields/Hebburn/North Shields/High Spen village/various villages around Durham/Seaham/Boldon/Whitburn..........OMG :confused:........it would be far easier if I had plenty of money :(

Love your idea of calling KudosDave Alan Sugar lol :cool:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Oh Wow Dave that looks absolutely beautiful........especially that beautiful blue water.....great pictures :cool:

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Oh Wow Dave that looks absolutely beautiful........especially that beautiful blue water.....great pictures :cool:

Thanks, if you're moving to Geordie land you won't be that far away and with a motor home parked at Loch Morlich there's miles and miles of traffic free roads and tracks you could explore!
Dave.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks, if you're moving to Geordie land you won't be that far away and with a motor home parked at Loch Morlich there's miles and miles of traffic free roads and tracks you could explore!
Dave.
Theres a lovely " Camping in the Forest" site there I believe, though I prefer wild camping, which happily is legal and accepted in Scotland.......however, after many, many holidays in Scotland and tempting though those lochs and cycle trails are, I could only go back when there was absolutely NO chance of the dreaded midges :eek:

I can still remember the horror of having to break camp at 3am due to the midges and a totally traumatised family,3 kids, my mother and our poor German Shepherd who we could hardly see for the cloud of midges around him ....it may have been 18 years ago but my now 32 year old daughter still swears she will never go back to Scotland again lol

Seriously though, as I am allergic to any sort of insect bite and have to carry an Epi Pen I really have to be careful.......but I still love Scotland ;)
You are very lucky to have all that on your doorstep.......

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I really enjoyed this thread, and the pictures. I particularly liked the Tyneside pictures, it brought back memories of my lorry driving days. Funkylyn if you have trouble with insects, try adding 5% DDT to your e juice.{only joking, don`t try this at home}