Are any mid-drive conversions waterproof - and does it matter?

EmSeeDee

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Coventry, UK
I am trying to decide what to buy to replace the dead GSM motor on my Raleigh Pioneer utility bike. I like the idea of the torque sensing on the Tongsheng TSZD2B, but I'm a bit concerned that it's only classed as water resistant to IP54, and the manufacturer advises that it shouldn't be used in the rain. The obvious alternative is the Bafang BBS01B, which only has cadence sensing, but I cant find anything about its IP rating.

So - given that I live in England where it does rain quite a bit, am I worrying too much about water ingress, and is the Tongsheng actually any worse than any of the alternatives in this respect?

Just a note that I still have a fully functional 36V Hailong battery, so this limits my choice of motor to 36V, and I do want to remain UK legal.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I am trying to decide what to buy to replace the dead GSM motor on my Raleigh Pioneer utility bike. I like the idea of the torque sensing on the Tongsheng TSZD2B, but I'm a bit concerned that it's only classed as water resistant to IP45, and the manufacturer advises that it shouldn't be used in the rain. The obvious alternative is the Bafang BBS01B, which only has cadence sensing, but I cant find anything about its IP rating.

So - given that I live in England where it does rain quite a bit, am I worrying too much about water ingress, and is the Tongsheng actually any worse than any of the alternatives in this respect?

Just a note that I still have a fully functional 36V Hailong battery, so this limits my choice of motor to 36V, and I do want to remain UK legal.

Thanks

Mike
I'm always cycling in the rain, especially this time of year - my BBS01B motor has even been for a 13 second dive. There was a good thread about waterproofing recently:

Last edited: