Are Ebike Suppliers immune to Sales Fever ?

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Apart from Kudos giving a generous discount to Pedelec Forum Members prior to December , I haven`t noticed other Suppliers doing the same . I`m thinking of the Advertisers on this Forum more than Ebay people . Perhaps they are waiting for January ? If Skoda made an Ebike it would be VAT free at present !

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
50cycles usually clear out the current years stock leading up to December. I took advantage of this in 2010 and purchased a Kalkhoff Sahel Pro Disc for £1895.

Also currently some big reductions at Emotion EVC here in Swindon, including a nice 17" Storck Raddar Multitask SE at 500 quid off list price.

CLICK TO VIEW

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, 50cycles have just emailed out to their listings the following:

Something else to enjoy
, there's 10% off all online orders today and tomorrow.
Using the promotional code christmas10 when checking out on our website will take 10% will be taken off your total orders valued over £50.This applies to all current offers with 10% off even the Kalkhoff Agattu C8 HS at £1382.85 for the electric bike one owner recently called
"the miraculous machine that has changed my life in so many ways. In my opinion nothing else compares to this on the market for price, quality & performance
."​

Everyone likes an electric bike ride and the cost of enjoying an Agattu next year has just come down.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Apart from Kudos giving a generous discount to Pedelec Forum Members prior to December , I haven`t noticed other Suppliers doing the same . I`m thinking of the Advertisers on this Forum more than Ebay people . Perhaps they are waiting for January ? If Skoda made an Ebike it would be VAT free at present !
I think the big proper retailers and the manufacturers are going to find e-bike sales increasingly competitive next year..there's some new names entering the market offering very good products factory direct at amazing prices even without any discounts (Dell style).. (what was the latest one we saw a few weeks back? a company that made tools/generators or something, launched their own very well spec'd bike for £699). It seems either these well capitalised established manufacturing companies are either able to operate on much larger economies of scale or at high volume sales and very tight margins which is sure to shake up the market and put the cat among the pigeons with these sellers clinging to their high £1000-£1,300+ selling prices. These new contenders are like more up-market Cyclamatic brands ;-)

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Cyclezee's sale starts in January, on the 14th to be precise;)

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I think the big proper retailers and the manufacturers are going to find e-bike sales increasingly competitive next year..there's some new names entering the market offering very good products factory direct at amazing prices even without any discounts (Dell style).. (what was the latest one we saw a few weeks back? a company that made tools/generators or something, launched their own very well spec'd bike for £699). It seems either these well capitalised established manufacturing companies are either able to operate on much larger economies of scale or at high volume sales and very tight margins which is sure to shake up the market and put the cat among the pigeons with these sellers clinging to their high £1000-£1,300+ selling prices. These new contenders are like more up-market Cyclamatic brands ;-)
Morphix,the problem with the direct internet or ebay based sellers is that they tend to be 'buy it unseen and untried'-it is easy to sell at those low prices if you don't want to test ride at a local dealer. I think the market will split between the adventorous customer who takes a bit of a gamble on whether he likes the bike when he gets it and those who prefer to have a local ride at a local dealer-the dealers are one more link in the supply chain they have to earn a profit to stay in business.
Kudos is trying to offer bikes at prices that are close to the internet based sellers but with the comfort and reassurance of dealer testing and support.
We have an upcoming sale on our King,Cheetah and Versatile models to be announced very soon-the King must be a good buy at £895.00 considering the spec,the sale will last until current stocks are finished.
Dave
Kudoscycles

Last edited:

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Morphix,the problem with the direct internet or ebay based sellers is that they tend to be 'buy it unseen and untried'-it is easy to sell at those low prices if you don't want to test ride at a local dealer.
There's also the fact that many of the ebay sellers (and probably a fair few of the internet-only sellers) are selling ebikes that still won't be legal if and when we finally get around to adopting EN15194. For all we know there might well be some sort of clamp down on all non-EU approved ebikes after the eventual change in the law.

I think if I was in the market for a new ready-built ebike then I'd probably only want to deal with a reputable company that could provide hard evidence that all their ebikes were at least approved to the EU regulations.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We would offer a January sale except that this is when most of our staff take their annual holidays - so sales and support would be reduced and timing therefore wrong. This year especially, though, the weather is still very wet and we have noticed that sales drop when the weather is bad.
Not much point in offering sales unless you know you are going to get reasonable volumes.
We will be selling some models at reduced prices in February however.

Happy New Year everyone.

Hatti

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Our sale has started...Kudos King at £895.00,Cheetah at £595.00,Versatile at £595.00. Are back at work on January 2. We have about 10 off each available.
Have a happy new year.
Dave
Kudoscycles

flatbat

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2012
Western part of West Yorkshire
Morphix,the problem with the direct internet or ebay based sellers is that they tend to be 'buy it unseen and untried'-it is easy to sell at those low prices if you don't want to test ride at a local dealer. I think the market will split between the adventorous customer who takes a bit of a gamble on whether he likes the bike when he gets it and those who prefer to have a local ride at a local dealer-the dealers are one more link in the supply chain they have to earn a profit to stay in business.
Kudos is trying to offer bikes at prices that are close to the internet based sellers but with the comfort and reassurance of dealer testing and support.
We have an upcoming sale on our King,Cheetah and Versatile models to be announced very soon-the King must be a good buy at £895.00 considering the spec,the sale will last until current stocks are finished.
Dave
Kudoscycles
"test ride at local dealer" - I have just stopped laughing! Sorry but if you live in the north of England there are very few dealers and even fewer with more than the odd step through model in stock so there is no choice but to buy untested.Thus the discounted interweb prices are really the ONLY option and non discounts at southern dealers not competitive.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
"test ride at local dealer" - I have just stopped laughing! Sorry but if you live in the north of England there are very few dealers and even fewer with more than the odd step through model in stock so there is no choice but to buy untested.Thus the discounted interweb prices are really the ONLY option and non discounts at southern dealers not competitive.
Surely if spending around a thousand pounds or even more, it's worth travelling? England isn't a very big country and I'm sure that in most cases there'd be a dealer close enough to reach within a one day trip for a test ride. Not being time critical, one can take advantage of the cheap off-peak rail travel options.

Online is certainly not the only option.

flatbat

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2012
We would offer a January sale except that this is when most of our staff take their annual holidays - so sales and support would be reduced and timing therefore wrong. This year especially, though, the weather is still very wet and we have noticed that sales drop when the weather is bad.
Not much point in offering sales unless you know you are going to get reasonable volumes.
We will be selling some models at reduced prices in February however.

Happy New Year everyone.

Hatti
So now your volumes will be even lower in January as everyone thinking of a Whoosh (including me and anybody else who has read the above) will wait to see what your Feb sales bring!!!

FB

flatbat

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2012
Surely if spending around a thousand pounds or even more, it's worth travelling? England isn't a very big country and I'm sure that in most cases there'd be a dealer close enough to reach within a one day trip for a test ride. Not being time critical, one can take advantage of the cheap off-peak rail travel options.

Online is certainly not the only option.
Just checked rail travel costs to London and (including local travel either end and visits to several dealers)would equate to 15/20% of your estimated £1000 e bike cost. So on top of the higher dealer price you suggest another 15 to 20%. Really is time for another chuckle. So online IS the only sensible/competitive option for prospective purchasers in large areas of the UK.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Flatbat if you are thinking of a decent stepthrough for less than £600 , you haven`t a lot of choice . The two to look at are the Woosh Sant Ana at £599 and the Pro-Rider E Tourer for £579 . I doubt whether they could be reduced much in a sale , they are rock bottom now for their specification .

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Where in the north Flatbat?

When I started looking at ebikes, I thought there weren't any dealers.

But after a month or two of searching on and off, I found a few.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Where in the north Flatbat?

When I started looking at ebikes, I thought there weren't any dealers.

But after a month or two of searching on and off, I found a few.
Yes a few there but they are not being heard above the noise. The importers/manufacturers wont come this far up (except Storck), Dave from Kudos is terrified of us, reckons we eat babies, dance in skirts and eat animal blood for breakfast. If he thinks that what ever will he think of the Jocks :p It needs a good push especially as Durham Tourist Board is going to push cycling next year.

flatbat

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2012
Flatbat if you are thinking of a decent stepthrough for less than £600 , you haven`t a lot of choice . The two to look at are the Woosh Sant Ana at £599 and the Pro-Rider E Tourer for £579 . I doubt whether they could be reduced much in a sale , they are rock bottom now for their specification .
A step through is the last thing I am after!
No, I am looking for something of a relaxed mountain bike (hybrid style).
Cost is a consideration but not paramount so looking from a Sirroco sport at the lower end to the Ave XH3 at the top. The sale price of the Kalkhoff Agattu C8 HS also brings that just within range. However, none of these are available to test anywhere near me (West Yorks) that I am aware of.

FB

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
It's zackly the same down here (cornwall).

One dealer in Truro that "sells" raleigh, has 2 showrooms full of bikes.... and gets ebikes in to order :(

Practically nothing this side of Bristol.

I'm giving thanks for the ebike roadshows - One coming to the Eden Project in April :)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just checked rail travel costs to London and (including local travel either end and visits to several dealers)would equate to 15/20% of your estimated £1000 e bike cost. So on top of the higher dealer price you suggest another 15 to 20%. Really is time for another chuckle. So online IS the only sensible/competitive option for prospective purchasers in large areas of the UK.
Obviously I was only saying one dealer visit and not to the extreme of going to London. I live in London and have travelled a long way north for some e-bike options, 300 miles round trip on one occasion!

Kalkhoff agent 50cycles for the C8 are at Loughborough, about 150 miles closer to you than London.

Best bet if anyone wants to try a number of options is to await one of the e-bike shows and travel to that.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Flatbat,I sympathise with your comments and agree. Unfortunately the further you go away from London or Birmingham your choice of dealer becomes rarer. It is for exactly this reason we are taking our bikes out on our roadshows but we do need the support of a local dealer.
This lack of availability is really a bit of a 'chicken and egg' situation. Quite frankly dealers cannot afford to stock a wide range of e-bikes based upon the small volumes that can be achieved in the UK,the sales of e-bikes in the north is very low volume,some of my customers up there have never seen another electric bike.
Some of the dealers won't look at Kudos bikes because I cannot offer them minimum £500 profit in a bike,that profit is not possible with trying to maintain a reasonable rrp. That is the reason why dealers tend to stock £1500 plus bikes,then a £500 profit is possible. but our feedback is that customers want a nice bike at £1000.
The situation is patchy,we are doing a good job in South East England. Others are doing a good job in their own local areas but I must agree that the South West beyond Bristol,East Anglia beyond Cambridge and the north beyond Manchester are e-bike deserts.
The nearest Kudos will get to you is our Peak district event in April but I respect you will want to test bikes other than Kudos.
Perhaps BEBA can offer a solution to you guys up north?
If you are prepared to buy internet direct our Kudos King bike is available in our sale at £895.00,free delivery-over 150 of these bikes have been sold in the UK,many to Pedelec members so you can get some reports off this forum.
Dave
Kudoscycles

Last edited: