Are ebikes worth the price tag?

Do you think that ebikes and pedelecs are particularly overpriced?

• Yes. Most of them are.

• No. They're all well priced.

• Some are reasonably priced. (Please state which ones you feel are good value for the price tag).

• Some are grossly overpriced. (Please state which ones you feel are overpriced and why).

Results are only viewable after voting.

cyberdyne_systems

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
Surrey
I feel happier having my £760 e bike locked up outside my work all day than a plus 2k one, but I'd love to have a 'quality' bike.

I guess a bit like mobile phones, maybe if everyone had one they wouldn't be seen as expensive anymore, unlike when they first came out (or when smart phones first came out)?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
certainly wouldn't fit a side stand. :D
The old Haibike trekking had one fitted and it was nothing but a massive nuisance. Rattling around on all but the smoothest of surfaces, and always getting caught on vegetation.
I've not picked up any veg with mine yet. Well, none that I'm aware of anyhow. Then again, having a 'cheap-ish' £1k bike goes some way to not being too bothered about doing that. I was getting a clunky rattle from the stand that was getting picked up by my handlebar cam's mic. It wasn't apparent whilst riding, just when I played the videos back. So, I fixed that with a lttle mod. :)

DSC00563.JPG

Squeaky, new wet brakes and veg. :)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Have got so tired of people saying "how much"!

Now when I am asked about my bike cost I say about £380 and now they say "that's not bad".

The conversation ends, no argument and I can carry on.

Anything for a peaceful life.
What a brilliant idea... I think I might start saying they are on special offer in halfords at £299.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Everyone is an expert and has an opinion, so I have learnt to not rise to an argument, "you could buy a car for that much", or cruise the Caribbean or or or.

If I wanted a fing car then I would have bought one.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
On that note, I recall Rob from Cycling Made Easy telling me that they had a customer that bought an expensive ebike to commute on and the first modification made to the bike, was to spray it with a can of matt black paint to make the bike look tatty and old.

Rat bike look. :)
I sprayed with a can of mat black to get rid of the girly decathlon paint scheme and now everyone says "ooo what a good looking bike!"... Just can't win :oops:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Everyone is an expert and has an opinion, so I have learnt to not rise to an argument, "you could buy a car for that much", or cruise the Caribbean or or or.

If I wanted a fing car then I would have bought one.
I just say yeah and pay insurance, parking, garage fees, petrol... And usually by then they have walked away...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thats my old chain but try to clean and lube it after every ride now.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its the same with the new one and just use wd40 bike lube with a cloth ;)

looks like my ses wheel bearing is knackered after taking it off making grinding noise.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

paul20v

Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2015
Many people would be better off buying a quality push bike and do a conversion to an electric bike. As the weight is less of an issue on electric bikes or conversions (and that's a massive cost factor of a push bike), it's perfectly possible to get a well equipped bike for £500 or £600.
This might semi true for a basic road bike but if your serious about using mtbs you will only just get a desent set of front forks for close to that money let alone a whole bike with good components .