Attitudes of non-ebikers

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Call it what it is a pedal bike my dad used to just call them push bikes a term from very early days when that was what they were.
Yes, they were even called push bikes in the trade long ago and I used the term for much of my life. I bet it's still common usage for many.

And an electric bike simply as an e-bike, saying I have a'pedelec' or an 'epac' will flummox most peeps.
Even the DfT, since EPAC is a mainland European term. Here they are EAPCs. We are right, they are wrong, since they are electric assist in law, not pedal assist.

But I think even saying e-bike will baffle much of the public, who are only likely to understand electric bike.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
I've only had the occasional remark along those lines and it doesn't trouble me at all, I use my ebike to go to work, I'm just commuting not competing with anyone so how can I be cheating - I'd teleport if I could!

Where I have encountered difficulties is when my wife has been using an electric trolling motor on a kayak on the river. She had cancer a couple of years ago which left her unable to paddle for extended periods, so we could still enjoys trips together I rigged her up the electric assistance. The amount of 'thats cheating' comments we received actually reduced her to tears on occasions. Bizarrely most were from people lounging on motor cruisers! Other kayakers were mostly just intrigued.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Where I have encountered difficulties is when my wife has been using an electric trolling motor on a kayak on the river. She had cancer a couple of years ago which left her unable to paddle for extended periods, so we could still enjoys trips together I rigged her up the electric assistance. The amount of 'thats cheating' comments we received actually reduced her to tears on occasions. Bizarrely most were from people lounging on motor cruisers! Other kayakers were mostly just intrigued.
That's even more ridiculous, truly showing how stupid people can be. I can sort of understand the accusation with e-bikes, since it looks as though we are pedalling. But with a kayak not seen as being paddled but driven by a propeller, the cheating accusation is simply idiotic since it so clearly isn't.

Reactions: ttxela

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I still call a pedal bike a push bike but now this talk has lead to more thought and from now on I'm calling mine electric push bikes :p.

Reactions: trevor brooker

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Call it what it is a pedal bike my dad used to just call them push bikes a term from very early days when that was what they were.

And an electric bike simply as an e-bike, saying I have a'pedelec' or an 'epac' will flummox most peeps.
Tend to agree.. Why are bicycles being renamed at all? And, its us thats doing it!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why are bicycles being renamed at all?
It starts with the authorities and their laws, needing every vehicle type to be accurately defined. Even bicycles of various kinds.

For example, most laws mentioning bikes refer to "bicycles, tricycles and bicycles with four or more wheels".

But the Countryside Act 1968 which gave us permission to cycle on bridlepaths only mentions "bicycles". Obviously that was to avoid the obstruction to animal riders and herders that trikes and quads could create.

However, that was partially undone by Sustrans who later gained an exception for tricyclists to use bridlepaths.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It starts with the authorities and their laws, needing every vehicle type to be accurately defined. Even bicycles of various kinds.

For example, most laws mentioning bikes refer to "bicycles, tricycles and bicycles with four or more wheels".

But the Countryside Act 1968 which gave us permission to cycle on bridlepaths only mentions "bicycles". Obviously that was to avoid the obstruction to animal riders and herders that trikes and quads could create.

However, that was partially undone by Sustrans who later gained an exception for tricyclists to use bridlepaths.
The law would have gotten my correct use of the English language approval seal had it read "bicycles, tricycles and quadricycles", any more than four wheels is just showing no understanding of the forces in play when designing an HPV...

I am not a huge fan of the American version of the English language but I do have a preference for "triker", has a more aggressive ring to it... :rolleyes: As in "ARGGH yeah I'm a triker!" :D Lucky you, I'm totally against flags so no masts with the Jolly Roger on my machine!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The law would have gotten my correct use of the English language approval seal had it read "bicycles, tricycles and quadricycles", any more than four wheels is just showing no understanding of the forces in play when designing an HPV...
Not really, the law has to take into account multiwheel bikes with more than one person pedalling. There are even group bike designs with many pedalling.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They are four wheelers here, I think that may be a legal requirement so only quadricycles. Note that many "Rosalies" are now pedelecs too.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Not really, the law has to take into account multiwheel bikes with more than one person pedalling. There are even group bike designs with many pedalling.
Flecc I am truly amazed at how much knowledge you have. Do you read a lot?? You should go on mastermind (lol)

Reactions: Gubbins

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc I am truly amazed at how much knowledge you have. Do you read a lot?? You should go on mastermind (lol)
With cycling related stuff like the law, it's for two reasons. Firstly, since it was being in the trade from 1950 and the association with assisted bikes then. Secondly I have an eidetic memory for anything of importance or special interest to me, making accurate recall easy.

So just chance and luck.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
With cycling related stuff like the law, it's for two reasons. Firstly, since it was being in the trade from 1950 and the association with assisted bikes then. Secondly I have an eidetic memory for anything of importance or special interest to me, making accurate recall easy.

So just chance and luck.
don't be so modest

D

Deleted member 128

Hello flecc, it occurred to me today, do ebikes have permission to use bridleways?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hello flecc, it occurred to me today, do ebikes have permission to use bridleways?
Yes, they are classified in law as normal bicycles so long as they conform to the EAPC regulations, maximum 250 watts power rating, 15.5 mph assist speed limit and power stops when pedalling stops.

Reactions: therealvicz

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
"The only ones who are against them have never tried one, or never ever ride a bike anyway!!
E-bikes are simply great!!
Many people have conventional bikes that rarely see the light of day, if the truth be known!"

This. It does not bother me as I can always supply a robust argument if I wanted to, but usually I ask have they ever peddled one, if the answer is "no" I just move on.

Just fnd it irritating how people who have no idea will judge things they know nothing about.

Reactions: LeighPing

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Your friends seem to be what normal people call "Lycra Louts", what other cyclists call "arrogant and ignorant", and what Texans call "ass holes". Just enjoy being a Pedelecer.
Alas, one of the perils of living in posh Tunbridge Wells I am afraid!

Been out and about on a long pedal yesterday, went into town this morning, off to see a client soon, all done on my electric pedelec EAPC push-ebike.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
A conversation that I heard whilst waiting for, and also whilst traveling on a park and ride bus in Canterbury today.

Waiting for the bus...

Husband. Look there is a bike shop over there.
Wife. No answer.
Husband. I'm going for look.
Husband returns. They have electric bikes.
Wife. No answer.

On the bus.

Husband. That cycle shop had electric bikes.
Wife. No answer.
A few minutes later.
Husband. They had electric bikes in that cycle shop.
Wife responding in a sharp tone. You don't need an electric bike, you just need to get fit! :D
Husband. Just hangs head low, and doesn't say a word. :D