Bafang 36v or 48v BBS01b 250w mid-drive full kit - lowest price ever? - £230 inc. shipped from UK

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
How on earth did you find this deal?!?!? It'd be stellar if it works!

What's the difference between "Brake Lever" and "Brake Sensor" options? I thought brake levers contained sensors.
Just noticed the discrepancy in the price when looking at the new 500c-h display.
If you sold the display and other bits in the kit, you'd probably get about a £100 for them,meaning the bare motor costing you £130..happy to buy as a spare motor to swap out when my current one wears out as the parts alone would be way more than that

Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Just noticed the discrepancy in the price when looking at the new 500c-h display.
If you sold the display and other bits in the kit, you'd probably get about a £100 for them,meaning the bare motor costing you £130..happy to buy as a spare motor to swap out when my current one wears out as the parts alone would be way more than that
Without the cashback: It even quotes the same price of £267.57 when you select "Ship from UK" - that is absurdly cheap! The seller I bought my kit from originally, recently quoted me £425 for a bare bbs01b motor and a spare controller, with no accessories. Is there something wrong with those 500c-h displays, or have they got a glut of them I wonder?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That's pretty poor really and no wattage rating noted either, tbh it could be any of their motors so no way of proving either way whether it complies or not.
I was hoping this is where the 750W motors mis-engraved as 250W were sold... ;) I've never been stopped by the cops, but an engraving should be useful - there are CNC engraving machines available for less than £300, or maybe I could hash a really horrible little engraving job with a stencil and a dremel...

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Without the cashback: It even quotes the same price of £267.57 when you select "Ship from UK" - that is absurdly cheap! The seller I bought my kit from originally, recently quoted me £425 for a bare bbs01b motor and a spare controller, with no accessories. Is there something wrong with those 500c-h displays, or have they got a glut of them I wonder?
I think it's just a glitch/misprice by the seller, all the other displays kits are much more, it's even less than the bare motor price !. If you select UK delivery, it adds VAT at the checkout, choose China shipping (VAT paid by seller) to get the cheap price. As I said, ordered mine last weekend, delivered Wed from the UK warehouse, they ship from their nearest warehouse regardless of where you select

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think it's just a glitch/misprice by the seller, all the other displays kits are much more, it's even less than the bare motor price !. If you select UK delivery, it adds VAT at the checkout, choose China shipping (VAT paid by seller) to get the cheap price. As I said, ordered mine last weekend, delivered Wed from the UK warehouse, they ship from their nearest warehouse regardless of where you select
Thanks for pinting this deal out, I may well have to bring my second bike plan forward!

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
That's pretty poor really and no wattage rating noted either, tbh it could be any of their motors so no way of proving either way whether it complies or not.
I'm not sure what purpose having a wattage label would serve for the TSDZ2 (apart from conformance with EN15194) given that there is only one motor whose power is determined by firmware and which is really not difficult to change?

I've no knowledge of the Bafang mid-drives but have I read that their motors are engraved with the power rating? Even if they are, is it not a relatively straight forward task to change the Bafang firmaware for higher power output too?

So is an engraved motor any more legitimate than one with just a stick-on label (which can be changed or supplemented with an eBay purchase)?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm not sure what purpose having a wattage label would serve for the TSDZ2 (apart from conformance with EN15194) given that there is only one motor whose power is determined by firmware and which is really not difficult to change?

I've no knowledge of the Bafang mid-drives but have I read that their motors are engraved with the power rating? Even if the are, is it not a relatively straight forward task to change the Bafang firmaware for higher power output too?

So is an engraved motor any more legitimate than one with just a stick-on label (which can be changed or supplemented with an eBay purchase)?
View attachment 44580
I haven't been stopped yet by the Police - I thought they would a few weeks ago when a Police car followed me very slowly for about a quarter mile. My bike is completely legal AFAIK, and my plan if stopped is to point at my limited speed on the display and the 250W engraved under my Bafang BBS01b motor. I don't know how a conversation with the Poice, would progress if stopped while using any sort of ebike, doesn't seem to be reported here.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Gakusei69

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 3, 2019
Thanks for posting this. I've ordered the 48v version but what battery is recommended to go with it?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One with a 20 or 25a continuous rating (not peak rating) the current draw is 15 -18a for the controller.

Gakusei69

Nov 3, 2019
Mine arrived yesterday after ordering last weekend. It was a bit of an impulse buy, I don't particularly have a need for an ebike but have fancied building one up for a few years now.

I just need a battery and then to decide whether it goes on one of my existing bikes, or whether I buy one especially. I quite fancy an On One Bootzipper as long as I can get the 44t chainring to fit

Gakusei69

Nov 3, 2019
One with a 20 or 25a continuous rating (not peak rating) the current draw is 15 -18a for the controller.
Thanks for this. Are there any particular batteries and/or suppliers that are recommended? I'll be honest, I've spent the last week googling batteries and I'm not really any the wiser. I was hoping to keep the price under £300 buy if I need to pay more for something reliable then will do so.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
eclipse bikes is start.
Or speak to billym1967 of this forum as he builds batteries also has an ebay presence.

Reactions: Gakusei69

Gakusei69

Nov 3, 2019
Hi,

Just by way of a quick update, in looking for a battery one of the suppliers I emailed replied to my enquiry and advised that Bafang don't do a 250w 48v kit. Has anyone come across this before?

There is a sticker on the motor with '48v' but more stickers in the box which state 36v. The engraving suggests it really is 250w rather than anything more powerful.

Thanks

Attachments

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
As i explained the 48 v is the 500watt with a sticker
Purchased one from a German ebay seller with stickers that also stated 250w 36v its not legal and if you use the stickers it a bigger offence under uk law

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Gakusei69

Nov 3, 2019
As i explained the 48 v is the 500watt with a sticker
Purchased one from a German ebay seller with stickers that also stated 250w 36v its not legal and if you use the stickers it a bigger offence under uk law
Thanks for your reply. Just to check, even though the engraving suggest 250w you think it likely that's it's really 500w?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The settings on mine showed current set to 18 amps at 48v thats the same as the setting in the 500w version the 750watt is set to 24 amps

bobbyo

Nov 9, 2021
Hi, can anyone confirm whether the 48v "250W" version is legal in the UK? Some have mentioned it is actually 500W. I am looking at doing a conversion and don't want risk getting into trouble in the case of an accident or something.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
  • Agree
Reactions: sjpt