Bafang BBS01B Battery

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
So I have a legal one of these now, that will prob end up on a bmx after I get bored of the power.

What I want to know is, will two Makita 18v 5.0ah batteries wired to deliver 36v run this the same as a dedicated 36v 10ah bike battery? The reason I ask is I haven't decided on a battery yet and I hate rushing into things as I get buyers remorse a LOT.

I already have the rig to run the Makita batteries.

thanks!

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
The 2 Makita batteries will have to be wired in series to get 36v. The Ah will still be 5. No way round the imutable laws of physics I'm afraid. Still, 5 Ah will still get you 15 mikes or so.

Reactions: sparkysx

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
The 2 Makita batteries will have to be wired in series to get 36v. The Ah will still be 5. No way round the imutable laws of physics I'm afraid. Still, 5 Ah will still get you 15 mikes or so.
that 15miles is surely low PAS,15mph cutoff and typical 60% keep current ?

i have the 18amp bbs01.unrestricted speed and 100% KC.i get around 20 miles on high assist from a 17.4 ah battery.

a lot of newbies can get misled into too small a capacity battery.because so many quote their range on economical settings

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
No I mean would two/four makita batteries turn the motor at the same speed as a dedicated bike battery?

cheers

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
No I mean would two/four makita batteries turn the motor at the same speed as a dedicated bike battery?

cheers
theoretically if u can wire two 18v together ie in series ud have 36volts so yes.but ud only have 5ah ( u said they are 5ah),not much.if u then connected 2 of these pairs in parallel ud get 10ah of 36v.

However ud have to see what cells were in them and look them up on the databases to see what their rated constant amp delivery is. the bbs01 250 w u have bought will draw 15 amps on max. in a normal 36v 5parallel battery each parallels cells will need to be rated to provide 3amps constant for the battery to not sag or be overheated.you would only have basically 2 parallels.the cells would have to be capable of 7.5amps constant...very unlikely.that would require cells like the Samsung 30Q or 35E.

cells have two ratings to look at. MAX for short duration bursts and CONSTANT usually around half the max.

they cant be regular 3.6v lithium cell thinking about it.as to be 18volt would require only 5 cells in series.but if the battery is 5ah that would mean the cells would have to be 5000mah capacity which doesnt exist.the biggest capacity at the moment is 3500mah hmmm we need d8veh here.

Last edited:

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
Pretty sure official Makita batteries will be using really good cells, I've heard that they peak really high, some of the tools have a lot of punch, if you are drilling with a hole saw and snag on a bit of metal boxing it really wrenches your arm around.

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
Yes they would turn the motor at the same speed as a dedicated bike battery. Makita batteries use good cells and would have minimal voltage sag while in use. Only problem is keeping them dry and time charging multiple packs.

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
Yes they would turn the motor at the same speed as a dedicated bike battery. Makita batteries use good cells and would have minimal voltage sag while in use. Only problem is keeping them dry and time charging multiple packs.
not going to mount them to the frame, putting them in a rucksack, they are bomb proof so won't be an issue if I came off.