Bafang BBS01B Battery

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Do I need a Lekkie ring or preci alps, testing it out, the chain line doesn’t look great and the chain jumped off putting it onto the largest gear.
yeah get a precie alps 42t. chainline will be better,closer in.you will never get a chain jump off with the narrow wide s ,those factory things are total shite ,an too big for hills.puts more strain on the controller,an harder maneuvering.

Reactions: sparkysx

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Are the lekkie and precialps basically the same thing?
exactly same and same quality.my bbs01b has done over 2300 miles on one so far. all i can say of size is 36t will be even better on hills an trails but lower top speed.how much less speed i dont know.All i can say is my oldest hub bike, the missus uses, has a 36t and single speed 16t cog .it has no power assist ,just throttle.on flattish terrain ,over 12mph or so ur just ghost peddling.so have to throttle most of the time.it does 20ish mph. ghost peddling feels far less on the bbs01 and bbshd both with 42t and full range of gears.they feel like bikes, hers more like a mo ped.

most seem to buy the 42t. ive heard there can be some issues with the 36t being to close to the frame.you need to check that out.tho it could be rectified with spacers behind the screws.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I'd of thought the 36t would be further away from the frame as it's flatter?
id research if i was u.just something id read somewhere.prob depends on the bikes frame.both my 42t narrow wides only just clear the bottom dropout.in fact i had to put washers behind the bbs01 one to get it to clear by 2mm otherwise it was barely a mm from catching,the bbshd one from electron cycles only clears barely 2mm as well

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
Ok, had it running just now, the throttle will take the bike up to max, but the pedal assist stops at 15.5mph? do I do that on the display? thanks

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Ok, had it running just now, the throttle will take the bike up to max, but the pedal assist stops at 15.5mph? do I do that on the display? thanks
Speed limit can be adjusted on the 'Pedal Assist' page of programming software.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
with the cable?
never done it with the cable so fordulikes probably right.but you can also do it via the display.press the up and down buttons together for cpl seconds.when the screen changes release and repeat.you will see 4 zeros.put in 0512 pressing ok after each.you can then change number of pedal assist levels and max speed before cutout.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
So it assists past15.5mph now, but the throttle seems to give more.
More speed, acceleration or hill assist?

If you can post pictures of your settings on the 'Basic', 'Pedal Assist' and 'Throttle' pages of the software, via the cable, then we can have a look and see what needs tweaking, to allow similar operation of PAS and throttle.

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
Throttle seems to give more everything, I haven't been trying to go up steep hills on throttle alone though.

This is all via the display, I have ordered a cable, still waiting for it, but will throw up a screen shot of what it looks like as standard before fiddling with it.

thanks!

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
So it assists past15.5mph now, but the throttle seems to give more.
throttle gives 100%. pedal assist even when set to 100% only gives what the keep current is set to ,typically 60%.so 60% of 100%. ive tested this and posted a thread a while back on the findings.i thought it would be of considerable interest to people but no one took a blind bit of notice.

basically the controller SHOULD give 100% of the amps for the level of PAS selected when accelerating or peddling at low cadence.As soon as its up to speed or you put in effort,peddle at a high cadence it SHOULD drop off to 60% of that (if you have keep current set to 60%). but it didnt, it just stays around the keep current setting,Accelerating,climbing hills,even just barely turning the peddles,made no difference. This was my bbs01b which i tested on 70% KC before putting back to 100%.However it does work on my bbshd.Set at 60%.peddle hard and the amps drop.peddle slow they climb back up. Still wasnt going down to the 60% tho.

Just set the keep current to 100% and f##k the economy.

Cant see the point in having an electric bike an riding around on low PAS ,may as well use a regular bike.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Cant see the point in having an electric bike an riding around on low PAS ,may as well use a regular bike.
O.k if only local but if you do long rides (50-100 miles ) then range is king, change settings to suit your needs and parallel another battery in.

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
yeah I don't see the point in low assist either, I'm pretty fit and run long distances quite easily, I want the fun part of it!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Set for 100% KC and have the 9 assists, with programming split the Pas levels. 5 for high speed low to med torque and 4 for low speed high torque.