Bafang Max Drive bikes

Ok so found the keys tied up under handlebar but what do you guys reckon on state of battery.?.It's got gouges out of the plastic casing and is pretty scratched up.
It'll probably work fine but isn't pretty for a NEW purchase. Ask if they'll replace it?

Sent using this crappy tapatalk app. that has such poor functionality I can't even click 'like'!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The battery should work as specified, although some users haven't been very impressed with the performance of the battery.

If - big if - I thought it was any good, I would be looking to negotiate with the supplier to keep the existing battery and get a spare at an advantageous rate.

That would also avoid having to send back the scratched one, which could be a faff.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Thanks for the advice.
Kamil called me back and explained it might not look pristine as he keeps the batteries out to maintenance charge them (reassuring I guess) and was hoping I'd keep it.
But when I sent him the photos he agreed to arrange DPD collection for Monday, with a replacement for Weds. Can't argue with his customer service as mentioned by others here.
Right time to build it...

Thanks for the advice.
Kamil called me back and explained it might not look pristine as he keeps the batteries out to maintenance charge them (reassuring I guess) and was hoping I'd keep it.
But when I sent him the photos he agreed to arrange DPD collection for Monday, with a replacement for Weds. Can't argue with his customer service as mentioned by others here.
You must have difficulty pronouncing your f and th then, because you can't say fairer than that then [emoji12]

Sent using this crappy tapatalk app. that has such poor functionality I can't even click 'like'!

Reactions: PhilYerBoots

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Thanks for the advice.
Good to hear he is looking after all his greenway cross buyers,

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
You must have difficulty pronouncing your f and th then, because you can't say fairer than that then [emoji12]
Thats easy for you to say...

Quick update. Build took longer than expected. Brakes mainly, but wheels spinning sweet now, although both need truing.
It was getting dark so didn't ride for long but initially I got a spanner icon flashing on display and no power..:(
Realised no speed display with rear wheel spinning so adjusted speed sensor magnet and bingo.:D
Initial thoughts are very smooth and instant power delivery and soooo much quieter than my Oxygen rear hub bike.
I'll delve into the settings tomorrow and take it for a proper mixed ride with some tough hills. How do you access the settings menu btw..?

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Thats easy for you to say...

Quick update. Build took longer than expected. Brakes mainly, but wheels spinning sweet now, although both need truing.
It was getting dark so didn't ride for long but initially I got a spanner icon flashing on display and no power..:(
Realised no speed display with rear wheel spinning so adjusted speed sensor magnet and bingo.:D
Initial thoughts are very smooth and instant power delivery and soooo much quieter than my Oxygen rear hub bike.
I'll delve into the settings tomorrow and take it for a proper mixed ride with some tough hills. How do you access the settings menu btw..?
There you go,
Phil yer boots so to speak, factory manual

http://www.cnebikes.com/uploadfiles/103.224.250.119/webid92/Downloadfile/201602/56c7c698a5ae7.pdf

Reactions: PhilYerBoots

Darryl Milligan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 8, 2016
Wallasey, Wirral
Oh wise members, I need some assistance on which to choose. So far I have hired a Freego Martin City to see how the Max Drive handles and really like it, much better than Bosch, (especially as you can hack the software) on a par with Yamaha. So far the choices are Greenway Cross/City (really nice price £1000), Freego Martin Sport 2016 (local dealer £1799) and the Agogs Max MTB (£1600 shiped from CZ) or do you have any others I should be looking at?
On a side note, my first love was the Haibike Sduro Hardseven SL 2016 but it is not available in my size any more and the new 2017 prices and the stupidly tiny display on the 2017 replacement has brought me back to the Bafang route.
I have the Freego Martin Sport 2016, and find it hard to fault. It is worth pointing out the fact that Freego offer a 2 year warranty, and will replace the bike completely if they cannot fix it within fife working days.

Utakos

Feb 13, 2017
Norfolk
Found a few more Bafang Max Mid drive bikes that although are not sold in the UK, the companys will deliver to the UK http://www.inbiciweb.it/bicicletta-pedalata-assistita-montana-vkt-ebike-urano-27.5-mtb-deore-10v and I like the fat bike http://www.inbiciweb.it/biciclette/pedalata_assistita/pedalata_assistita_montana/bicicletta-pedalata-assistita-montana-vkt-ebike-fat-bike-26-max-drive-bafang-shimano-acera-9v. I do really like the Freego and may still end up with one but I think that they are over priced for the spec level and only one frame size.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I found the pictures are excellent, specs clearly described.
The price is excellent, it should have sold faster.
It could well be that few people know how expensive the MaxDrive is.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I was very tempted to get one but with no more space and 5 e bikes I couldn't justify one.

• :D
Reactions: Kinninvie

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
I found the pictures are excellent, specs clearly described.
The price is excellent, it should have sold faster.
It could well be that few people know how expensive the MaxDrive is.
It is listed as 7 speed. Although the part number for the cassette is a 9 speed part number. That made me pause for thought.

Pictures are indeed excellent.

Links to articles about Maxdrive would probably help. (and the 24 hour race at the Nurburg ring).

They would also do better with at 15Ah battery and a £1200 price point, I think.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
agreed. It would look better with 15ah @ 1,200.
Redcup, how does your MaxDrive compare to the bikes you rode today?

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
agreed. It would look better with 15ah @ 1,200.
Redcup, how does your MaxDrive compare to the bikes you rode today?
Really difficult to say - test rides took place on a smooth tarmac race track - maximum gradient around 2.5% at most.

I'd be disappointed if any ebike struggled in that setting.

The Impulse and Brose motored bikes were in my opinion quieter than Maxdrive - they both impressed me. The Impulse gear change sensor was far less intrusive than the Maxdrive one (the power cut was softer and for a shorter period of time).

You would never guess that each bike I rode was two or three (or more!) times the price of the Greenway though!

Nothing I rode today made me think that I need to ditch Maxdrive and switch to a different system.

Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad

Utakos

Feb 13, 2017
Norfolk
If the Greenway was a 19.5" I would be jumping on the last one but I prefer a larger frame and do not think that the 18.5 suit. I just wish that even half the frames that are on Alibaba were available, I think that it would really shake up the UK market.

If the Greenway was a 19.5" I would be jumping on the last one but I prefer a larger frame and do not think that the 18.5 suit. I just wish that even half the frames that are on Alibaba were available, I think that it would really shake up the UK market.
The frame measures 19" in reality.