Bafang Max Drive bikes

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
What are the relative merits between Panasonic GA and Samsung 30Q's at 17/18ah?
My understanding is:
GA Cells are higher capacity - you will get more distance for the same quantity (weight) of cells.
30Qs should be capable of supplying higher sustained current without voltage sag. (i.e. will be less stressed at the same current as the GAs).

I was torn between the GAs and 30Qs - I believe that either will make for an excellent power pack.

I simply don't need the increased range that the GAs offer so thought I'd give the 30Qs a go.

• Agree
Reactions: Ultrafunkula

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Alittle off topic but checkout their facebook page, sometimes they give out promo codes. i got a 100 bucks off my bike (Juggernaut) last week.
Welcome from across the Pond

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Hows everyone getting on with their bikes?
Hi Utakos. Sorry but only just seen your previous comment (I was watching the thread but had no email updates for some reason..?).
Size-wise the Greenway is fine for me @ 5'11". I would normally go with a large frame too so was also weary of the 18.5" advertised frame on this bike.
Like Brighton said it's nearer 19" and has plenty of room to raise the seatpost to suit me before hitting the maximum mark.
I'll probably change the handlebar and maybe stem to get a more upright position as that's the way I roll...:rolleyes:
Overall liking the bike very much, although not been on it much this week until I fit some muddies as it's been rotten.
Here's a quick pic taken last weekend in sunnier weather...

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Thats a good run, and an early start, too early for me !
I'm normally on my way along the prom to the ferrry just after 7ish.
The Freego is a smart looking bike. How long have you had it and what do you think of the max drive motor so far ?

Darryl Milligan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 8, 2016
Wallasey, Wirral
Thats a good run, and an early start, too early for me !
I'm normally on my way along the prom to the ferrry just after 7ish.
The Freego is a smart looking bike. How long have you had it and what do you think of the max drive motor so far ?
I upgraded to the Freego from an Ebco UCR30 on 13th Jan this year. I used to get 35 miles from a 15ah battery on my ebco, but only use 2 out of the 5 bars for the same distance on the Freego. The max drive seems to meter out the power a lot more efficiently. I love the hydraulic disc brakes, and the front forks. Not so sure about the 27.5 inch wheels as there isn't as much choice of tyres. I have done 900 miles on it. since 13/1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: PhilYerBoots

Utakos

Feb 13, 2017
Norfolk
Well the Freego has just been taken off my list of possibles due to their price increase (I would rather pay a little more for a Sduro), and as much as the Greenway is a nice price I think that I would be spending too much on upgrades. I am going to wait a little while to see if anything else pops up but it looks like I will be going for an import inbici MTB E-URANO 27.5" SHIMANO DEORE 2X10V or Agogs Max MTB

Darryl Milligan

Aug 8, 2016
Wallasey, Wirral
Well the Freego has just been taken off my list of possibles due to their price increase (I would rather pay a little more for a Sduro), and as much as the Greenway is a nice price I think that I would be spending too much on upgrades. I am going to wait a little while to see if anything else pops up but it looks like I will be going for an import inbici MTB E-URANO 27.5" SHIMANO DEORE 2X10V or Agogs Max MTB
The Freego warranty is second to non. Well worth it.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
I upgraded to the Freego from an Ebco UCR30 on 13th Jan this year. I used to get 35 miles from a 15ah battery on my ebco, but only use 2 out of the 5 bars for the same distance on the Freego. The max drive seems to meter out the power a lot more efficiently. I love the hydraulic disc brakes, and the front forks. Not so sure about the 27.5 inch wheels as there isn't as much choice of tyres. I have done 900 miles on it. since 13/1.

Thats a decent mileage in the time you've had it. Good to hear that the max drive appears good for range. Hopefully I'll notice a similar improvement with the Greenway over my Oxygen mtb with 13ah, although concensus seems to be the 10ah battery might struggle over time.
The Oxygen mtb has 27.5 wheels so I know what you mean about tyres (and full mudguards tricky to fit too). I did manage to find some 1.5 inch schwalbe marathons in 650b size and have those in reserve for when my 2.0 big bens need replacing (great tyre btw).
Anyway enjoy your Freego and see you around.

Utakos

Feb 13, 2017
Norfolk
The Freego warranty is second to non. Well worth it.
What has annoyed me the most is I have just been in communication with Freego about the Martin Sport and whether they price match http://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk/prod/ele_0051_fg/freego-martin-sport-2017-electric-bike and was quoted "Remember by using an online seller (to save a few pounds), any future warranty issues would incur sending the bike back to where it was purchased from for any work to be done" fair enough, but no mention then of a price increase so the few pounds saving is now £150.

Darryl Milligan

Aug 8, 2016
Wallasey, Wirral
What has annoyed me the most is I have just been in communication with Freego about the Martin Sport and whether they price match http://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk/prod/ele_0051_fg/freego-martin-sport-2017-electric-bike and was quoted "Remember by using an online seller (to save a few pounds), any future warranty issues would incur sending the bike back to where it was purchased from for any work to be done" fair enough, but no mention then of a price increase so the few pounds saving is now £150.
I offered my local dealer cash and got a good discount. He does all the warranty work. Ask Freego where your nearest "service centre" is as you are in thinking of buying one. Remember they will want your sale, so should come to an arrangement.