Battery built into the reat wheel

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Is this a good idea?Cant remove it to charge?How dyou replace a new battery?Would the battery stand up to being bumped around?

oops,the t is too near the r on my keyboard! That of course should read " rear " in the title

chinaqyy.en.alibaba.com/productshowimg/278359295-209543152/Recreation_Electric_bicycle.html

sorry bad day! The link wont work,you'll have to copy and paste it ,sorry

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The US Tidal Force bikes have long used in-wheel batteries and now that Matra have taken them over, they have continued with that. So it seems satisfactory, but as you say, it does impose unwelcome restrictions. Here's photos of the Tidal Force bike and a Matra prototype that might reach production one day:

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
The US Tidal Force bikes have long used in-wheel batteries and now that Matra have taken them over, they have continued with that. So it seems satisfactory, but as you say, it does impose unwelcome restrictions. Here's photos of the Tidal Force bike and a Matra prototype that might reach production one day:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

my first folder was one i bought i think from bob of "alien" in scotland and it had a 36 volt battery also built into the back wheel...

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I have also seen a short article recently, I think in A2B, about someone looking to build A123 cells into a back wheel.

Regards

Jerry

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
Personally I am not a fan of the idea due to rotating weight. Makes a huge difference on ride quality. Plus you will undoubtedly get a gyroscope effect. Also spoke lengths become non standard items, and I am sure standard 14/15g spokes are not going to be up to the extra forces.The only two spokes I know of that would be anywhere near strong enough to cope don't come short enough. Plus that sheer size of hub would mean lacing would be forced to be radial or 1cross at best, meaning less torsion in the spokes so more frequent breakages and a harsh ride. Just my two-penneth for what it's worth!

Regards

Lloyd

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Personally I am not a fan of the idea due to rotating weight. Makes a huge difference on ride quality. Plus you will undoubtedly get a gyroscope effect. Also spoke lengths become non standard items, and I am sure standard 14/15g spokes are not going to be up to the extra forces.The only two spokes I know of that would be anywhere near strong enough to cope don't come short enough. Plus that sheer size of hub would mean lacing would be forced to be radial or 1cross at best, meaning less torsion in the spokes so more frequent breakages and a harsh ride. Just my two-penneth for what it's worth!

Regards

Lloyd
That's enough of a problem with normal hub motors, I was unable to find a source of suitable spokes though I think SJS can supply them. Thicker spokes are not necessarily stronger so I think it may take them a while to get it right.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
If you want to change the battery you have to buy a whole new wheel.I think this is a bit of a naff design.Suprising really that they must of gone to huge lengths in R & D to get to where they are.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Personally, I think it looks awful :p Big hubs make an otherwise decent bicycle look hideous, in my eyes anyway.

From a purely technical perspective though, I would like to know how much of the hub is in motion along with the spinning wheel. For example, the BionX hub motor (with integrated controller, but separate battery) is designed so that the heavy parts (e.g. rare magnets) remain static with the bike frame while the wheel rotates.

I am struggling to see the advantages of packing every component in such a critical cramped location...as far as I can tell it adds to the cost of maintenance/repairs/upgrades. The same comments were made on this forum with regards to the "Copenhagen Wheel".

Cheers,Dan

Gepida uk

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
Interesting concept, I have not seen anything like this done before, Interesting to know what the handling is like when riding through Tight bends, But I have to agree with Dan it’s got to very expensive to maintain? And a real pain not being able to take a battery indoors to charge.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And a real pain not being able to take a battery indoors to charge.
Something I dislike on the Sparta Ion and some Izip models too, where the battery cells are within the frame downtube, as on this Sparta:

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010

Upon closer inspection, I notice the Matra bike has disc brakes too. Disc brakes and radial spokes go together like corn flakes and cola (not good, for those who have never had cornflakes and cola). A disc rotor that big with radial spokes would just pull the wheel apart over time, and by time I mean probably about 30 miles :) For the safety of those who ride it I sincerely hope this stays a concept prototype.

Regards

Lloyd

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's very true Lloyd, and I'm sure it would never be anything but a concept since it was first shown a couple of years ago. The standard pattern Tidal Force seems ok on the road except for the handling compromises, but it's more about being an expensive fast accelerating 30 mph moped than being a bike.