BBS01 programming - that doesn't fry the controller

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Old thread resurrection.
Have now swapped BBS01 to another older MTB small 17" frame which I'm liking, added twin rings 32/48 combo to front and a Alfine 8 to the rear.
Had an issue today and PAS not working properly (actually only worked once for about 1/2km pulling 12 - 17a) and throttle not very responsive.
Think PAS may be faulty and needs replacing, first need to remove BBS to strip and have a look, though the white hall connector will need checking .

Have also been thinking about using and external, 9fet 22a julet KT and digging out all the old controller parts to allow additional room for new extra wiring which will need soldering and insulating, PAS will have to go on lhs crank to work, controller has a separate julet for PAS.
Can use existing wheel speed sensor and pick up the hall signal via the white controller speed wire on the 9 pin julet extension, 5v and gnd can be spliced to red and black hall sense wires. All this can be concealed inside the empty controller body to be refitted to main motor body,

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Old thread resurrection.
Have now swapped BBS01 to another older MTB small 17" frame which I'm liking, added twin rings 32/48 combo to front and a Alfine 8 to the rear.
Had an issue today and PAS not working properly (actually only worked once for about 1/2km pulling 12 - 17a) and throttle not very responsive.
Think PAS may be faulty and needs replacing, first need to remove BBS to strip and have a look, though the white hall connector will need checking .

Have also been thinking about using and external, 9fet 22a julet KT and digging out all the old controller parts to allow additional room for new extra wiring which will need soldering and insulating, PAS will have to go on lhs crank to work, controller has a separate julet for PAS.
Can use existing wheel speed sensor and pick up the hall signal via the white controller speed wire on the 9 pin julet extension, 5v and gnd can be spliced to red and black hall sense wires. All this can be concealed inside the empty controller body to be refitted to main motor body,
Yep the kt controller should work well - it may be worth derating the current down to 18A max though. I’ve found the kt controller works just fine without the speed sensor connected, however I am running display less.

You may need some of these to fit the trusty C&D external PAS on the left hand side:

US $8.81 11% Off | 10mm Spacer for Bafang BBSHD Bottom Bracket Fitting (4 pieces) 2.5mm/pcs

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks Jarob, I have the controller on order so waiting for that now as I have every thing else I need in my spares, lcd3 with julet, pas disc/sensor with julet , brake cut off, julet 1T4 cable & 9 pin motor cable to solder the phase and halls in side the existing controller body.
18a is what I plan on starting with and will see how it fairs with 20 & 22a once I have it up and running.

I reset the controller parameters to original settings but no dice really, throttle is limp/slow and PAS is engaging initially then stops then starts again when speed has slowed so I think needs probably new magnet disc and pas pcb module.
Decided that a ldc3 & kt sw controller will be better as I'm used to the them and with 5 set pas levels easier then having nine and programming the settings,
Hopefully I can get the BBS01 working better so that It gets more use, had it nearly 5 years and only got 2930 mile son it at times it has been a pain, tbh too much heat has to go through the tiny controller. With KT controller I will be able to give full welly and amps without blowing the controller and with my Alfine 8 paired with the current twin chain rings I have plenty of low gears for climbing and torque.

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
I needed to hollow out my controller to fit the new wiring harness (cathartic experience for me, after all the aggravation those controllers have given)

In your case, I’d be loathed to destroy the controller as it may be 100% functional if it’s only the pas that’s kaput.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Having had the controller off a few times and replaced before now, no other option but to hollow out said controller. Might have a dig around to see if I kept my old fried controller or not, but do have a feeling I may have binned it a couple of years ago.

Frankos

Just Joined
Oct 19, 2021
I have just purchased a bike with a BBS01 and am going to apply these changes.
I am new to this and I hope I have selected the right values for everything.
Can someone please check this for me?

Bafang_New_Settings.jpg

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have just purchased a bike with a BBS01 and am going to apply these changes.
I am new to this and I hope I have selected the right values for everything.
Can someone please check this for me?

View attachment 44629
Are you certain that your battery can supply 18A continuously?

Reactions: Frankos

Frankos

Just Joined
Oct 19, 2021
How do I work that out?

The battery is a Panasonic 36V 12.8Ah bottle battery.
What do I need to do to calculate if it will be OK?

Thanks for your help :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Battery should be fine it will use the Panny GA cell, a 10a rated one though 5 -7 a max is it's mark. They are good for up to 25a continuous, check the battery specs from the seller to be sure.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney and Frankos

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What I would say is play with speed limit % on 6 - 9, esp if the high current limit is for hill climbing. The lower the speed limit the better the torque should be for climbing.

Reactions: Frankos

Frankos

Just Joined
Oct 19, 2021
Thanks for that, I live in a hilly area and this body of mine is 120kg so I need the extra torque!