BBS02 battery charger

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Balance charging to 42V every so often, to extend my battery's lifespan?
It'll do the oposite. Charging once in a while to 42v isn't enough to balance unless you leave it on charge for a long time after it reaches 42v, but then you do more damage than you have have done by normal charging, with the added risk that you might burn your house down.

Why can't you guys get it into your heads? The battery and charger are designed to charge to 42.0v. Doing anything else can be unsafe and bad for the battery. If you want to charge to anything other than 42.0v, you must change the BMS to a different one that suits it.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It'll do the oposite. Charging once in a while to 42v isn't enough to balance unless you leave it on charge for a long time after it reaches 42v, but then you do more damage than you have have done by normal charging, with the added risk that you might burn your house down.
Thanks for that.

The battery and charger are designed to charge to 42.0v. Doing anything else can be unsafe and bad for the battery. If you want to charge to anything other than 42.0v, you must change the BMS to a different one that suits it.
Are there any BMSs which can be set to balance at different voltages? 42V, 41V, 40V depending on how long the journey I need to make is? Or would balancing at lower voltages not extend the lifespan of my battery; not worth bothering with? I'm not too worried yet, as my battery is a couple of years old and the bike in total has only approx 3,700km on the ODO.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
when i charge my bosch batts it spends the longest time balancing the 40 cells on the last bar of 5 so it is all down to the bms what the cut off voltage will be but i dont think the bosch batts go lower than 3.8v and why they last so long.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The LVC is set on my controller to 31V, at which point it's useless anyway. I should set it higher - it's very rare that a journey is so long that I ever run my battery flat, but it does happen.

How long do these cheapo BMSs which these mass market Hailong/Shark/Octopus batteries ship with last anyway? Should they be replaced every couple of years with a new cheapo BMS, in case some component or other fails and burns your house down?

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i do the same if i can and stick it on charge with 20% left my 2016 batt still gets the miles but can feel the kick from the new one ;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Speedict /neptune bms allow user parameters to be set but they are not cheap, other wise there are uart BMS that allow user parameter changes cost vary from about £40 - £ 80 via IOS , BT, PC interface etc,etc.

• Informative

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Some stuff on charging to 41V here;

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for that.
Are there any BMSs which can be set to balance at different voltages? 42V, 41V, 40V depending on how long the journey I need to make is? Or would balancing at lower voltages not extend the lifespan of my battery; not worth bothering with? I'm not too worried yet, as my battery is a couple of years old and the bike in total has only approx 3,700km on the ODO.
Yes, they generally go under the name of smart BMSs, but not all smart BMSs can balance like that. You would have to completely re-build your battery to fit one, and they're expensive, so you don't save anything.

Take my advice: Forget about these clever ideas. Use your bike and battery as they're intended. When the battery wears out, you can always get a better one. The one you have now will be relatively shite compared with the normal ones you'll get in 5 years time when it's worn out.

• Informative