Beat Bike Toba Crossbar (Bike Log)

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I am disabled now and looking for a lighter bike. Hub gears slipping again. I need a throttle on the new bike.

darucla

Just Joined
Jan 6, 2016
Throttles are not legal on bikes. To get a throttle controlled bike would be a risk, although it is possible. It should become a moped, with a licence plate etc. Very difficult to sort in this country, because there is no precedence (or very little).
Also MTBs are generally heavier, the only exceptions are special versions like Specialized Levo SL. This is much lower weight, but also lower powered, and very expensive...

I am a year older than you, and have just ordered a new Moustache Xroad 27 FS, which would do the job you want, but it is not light and no throttle. Also very expensive c/f the Toba. There is a similar Trek Powerfly FS Fully Equipped.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Many on the forum use and have a throttle, it's how it's configured. No one will be prosecuted for it's use.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Throttles are not legal on bikes. To get a throttle controlled bike would be a risk, although it is possible. It should become a moped, with a licence plate etc. Very difficult to sort in this country, because there is no precedence (or very little).
Also MTBs are generally heavier, the only exceptions are special versions like Specialized Levo SL. This is much lower weight, but also lower powered, and very expensive...

I am a year older than you, and have just ordered a new Moustache Xroad 27 FS, which would do the job you want, but it is not light and no throttle. Also very expensive c/f the Toba. There is a similar Trek Powerfly FS Fully Equipped.
I can understand that you're excited about your new bike. Hopefully, it's going to make you very happy. Why not start your own thread so that you can tell us all about it?

You don't seem to have any understanding, nor sympathy for Perseus's needs. He's been making regular posts on this forum for 5 years. He knows all about legal requirements and the different types of ebikes. The last thing that would be any use to him in his current health state would be a Moustache Xroad 27 FS. He needs a bike that doesn't require pedal effort and specifically an independent throttle, which your suggestion doesn't have.

For your understanding, there is no law against, nor risk in having a bike with a throttle. I think you're getting throttles mixed up with "twist and go" type bikes, which might be operated by a throttle.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Although it will not probably be lighter, an older simple rear hub motored ebike with a simple cadence system and unrestricted throttle could be ideal.

I bought a second hand Oxygen emate of circa 2011 vintage from the classified section of pedelecs very cheaply and have been amazed how good it has turned out to be.

I would think though any Chinese derived bike from this era could be similar. Others on here will know the makes of bike from that time that would be suitable as there were quite a few bike brands but mostly using the same or very similar frames and electrical systems that were simple and very robust.

You should be able to buy one very cheaply but might have to allow for a new battery and a bit of tidying up work.

darucla

Just Joined
Jan 6, 2016
For your understanding, there is no law against, nor risk in having a bike with a throttle. I think you're getting throttles mixed up with "twist and go" type bikes, which might be operated by a throttle.
https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/regulations/eapc-regulations I am working on the basis of the above article, specifically the paragraph concerning throttles. As for not feeling for his needs; absolutely not true. I am clinically disabled, and know how hard things can get. That is why I posted the link to the Youtube page, as the poster there has a lot of experience with the subject of custom made, throttle-equipped, e-bikes. Whether you go along with all of his statements and opinions is another matter. But he is a source of experience.
If anyone can explain the actual rules regarding throttles, please do. I have read this thread. https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/uk-legality-of-thumb-throttles-in-diy-conversions.31413/ and this https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules.
It seems you may be able to get type approval for a pedelec with a throttle under certain circumstances. https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/full-throttle-ebike-legal-again/ There is also sometimes mentioned a use for disabled people, but I can't find the actual legislation. And there is this. https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/petition-to-legalizing-throttle-only-ebikes-for-the-disabled.33921/ None of this leads me to believe that it will be simple to walk into a shop, buy a throttle assisted bike, and legally drive it home.

Reactions: Perseus

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Show me in any of those links where it says that you can't have a throttle.

Did you know that throttles are fitted to many of if not all the Wisper bikes, all of which have been tested and found to be in compliance with EN15194?

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Show me in any of those links where it says that you can't have a throttle.

Did you know that throttles are fitted to many of if not all the Wisper bikes, all of which have been tested and found to be in compliance with EN15194?
Thanks for the replies. I'm significantly disabled and I do not really want a buggy. The biggest problem is starting in traffic or on inclines.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Disability: Motors are more powerful on road mobility scooters than ebikes. Ebike might not be powerful enough?

I can no longer get up hills on the Toba ~ I become breathless.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
The power no longer works, so it is A DEAD EBIKE from today when I reverted to pedal power on other bikes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks for the replies. I'm significantly disabled and I do not really want a buggy. The biggest problem is starting in traffic or on inclines.
you would need a twist and go throttle.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Santana3's throttle is normally activated after a bit pedalling.
You would need to tell us to reprogram the controller for twist and go.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
The Santana3's throttle is normally activated after a bit pedalling.
You would need to tell us to reprogram the controller for twist and go.
Could this be a problem? Traffic is too horrendous for derailleur gears. Tried my road pedal bike today, with difficulties.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Santana3 has derailleur gears and a hub motor.
You don't have to pedal much if at all so changing gears is not necessary most of the time.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Delivery difficulties may prevent purchase of SANTANA. Traffic really is too horrendous for derailleur gears with my vision problems as well. Not just the roads, cyclepaths especially around Shoreham-by-Sea.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Ordered a replacement. New blog soon. Toba performance reduced to very poor boost, not worth persevering, use now as a shopping bike for very short journeys.

Related Articles

Advertisers