Petition to legalizing throttle only eBikes for the disabled

Falesh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 15, 2019
Last month I got an eBike and being able to get about on it once in a while, when I have the energy, has been wonderful. Unfortunately if I use it without pedaling, the only way I can use it, I am actually breaking the law.

Hopefully this petition can help the movement to legalise the use of throttle only low power eBikes so I can use mine in the only way that I can, not pedaling at all, and not risk being criminalized. It would be wonderful if more people with limited mobility could be helped with these wonderful devices.

https://www.change.org/p/uk-government-legalise-throttle-only-ebikes-for-the-disabled

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Last month I got an eBike and being able to get about on it once in a while, when I have the energy, has been wonderful. Unfortunately if I use it without pedaling, the only way I can use it, I am actually breaking the law.

Hopefully this petition can help the movement to legalise the use of throttle only low power eBikes so I can use mine in the only way that I can, not pedaling at all, and not risk being criminalized. It would be wonderful if more people with limited mobility could be helped with these wonderful devices.

https://www.change.org/p/uk-government-legalise-throttle-only-ebikes-for-the-disabled
If you register and insure it as a Moped, you can even use it faster and fully legally.
But I personally have no experience of what this might cost, maybe a bike shop can help.....
regards
Andy

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I think there is a very strong case for this to be somhow implimented into ebike law, or maybe easily added to the disability dispensation rules. There's no good reason why poeple with certain disabilities should be excluded from riding a pedelec. In reality you are prob. very unlikely to be prosecuted for using your illegal bike, but it would be nice to be able to ride without this fear as the able bodied do. Happy to add my name to your petition.:)

Reactions: LeighPing

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
Would it not be better to use the official Government petition site?
https://petition.parliament.uk/
The current legislation needs a complete sort out although it's unlikely to change anytime soon as parliament has a few other things on it's mind at the moment.

Many other countries have a 750 watt limit for instance which helps with steeper hills and longer range for instance. Whilst I completely understand the disability problem, although it would be better to introduce throttle legality completely to simplify things and eliminate individual checks, isolating certain types of users or vehicles could, in my opinion, lead to licencing or registration.

• Disagree
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Although legally EU Pedelec law is 250w nominal, motors all will produce more then this and up to about 750w in some cases most bikes will give 400- 500w. There is no legislation saying what the controller max amps output should , if you look at various bikes they do very a bit from max 12a - 25a. Though 25a is rare now a days on OEM bikes.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They already exist, they are called electric mopeds. Some are very light weight too. As an extra bonus your motor can be up to 4 kW strong!

Yes you have to have a number plate, insurance and wear a helmet. But you don't have to pedal.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Many other countries have a 750 watt limit for instance
That's not true, the dominant law on pedelecs worldwide is for an assist limit of 250 watts rating. This includes all the EU countries, all the EFTA countries, Switzerland, Israel, Russia, Japan, China, India, Australia and some other lesser ones. New Zealand is a slight variant with a 300 watt limit.

The USA's federal law allows power below 750 watts, but that isn't mandatory since the individual states can vary it or even ban pedelecs as two states have previously done. The position in Canada has some similarities but their power limit is 500 watts.

Most countries in the world don't even have any e-bike law.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
He said many, not most.
I know, and it's not true as I said. Most countries in the world don't have any e-bike law.

I only know of one country with a 750 watt law, and that as said is the USA with its federal law. That's not many.

Last edited:

Falesh

Jan 15, 2019
They already exist, they are called electric mopeds. Some are very light weight too. As an extra bonus your motor can be up to 4 kW strong!

Yes you have to have a number plate, insurance and wear a helmet. But you don't have to pedal.
There are significant disadvantages to moving from an eBike to an eMoped. Cost being one, especially as someone who is too disabled to pedal is probably too disabled to work, so a few hundred pounds a year extra on insurance and whatnot is actually a real issue. Taking the CBT and tests also demand a lot of energy, something I have an extremely short supply of, as does the fact that I can get the bike closer to where I start and end my journey.

There are plenty of other reasons, but really all that is beside the point. The response to some disabled people being legally excluded from using an eBike shouldn't be that this is not a problem because they might be able to use some other type of vehicle. It should be, in my opinion, to ask why are they being excluded, is it fair and should the law be changed.

• Offensive Language
Reactions: BobR

Falesh

Jan 15, 2019
Would it not be better to use the official Government petition site?
https://petition.parliament.uk/
The current legislation needs a complete sort out although it's unlikely to change anytime soon as parliament has a few other things on it's mind at the moment.
I thought about that but decided against it. The polls get closed after a certain time there and as I don't really have the energy to campaign on this issue more then posting on some forums and facebook I doubted I would get that many signatures in a short time span.

The main reason I made it was after experiencing how positively the bike had affected my life I wanted to at least try to do something to let others in a similar position be able to experience the same. The petition is a way to get the word around, but if it does take off I can also send it to my MP, who can then use it to try to push the issue in parliament.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Just ride an illegal bike then, the law doesn't pick on people with recognised disabilities if:

- they aren't putting themselves and others in danger
- they are in control of their vehicle

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I think I agree with AK. The chances of getting this changed, even for a deserving minority, is very slim. If your bike is restricted to 15.5mph there really is not much chance of you getting pulled. Ride sensibly, keep your eyes open and maybe just rotate the peddles if you see a copper. Yes, I know, there's the, "If you have an accident........Blah", but it's worth the risk for the freedom isn't it?
There is still the issue of there not being a prohibition on kits with throttles. The law doesn't specifically say they are allowed but neither does it say they are prohibited. There is also grandfather rights. Those bike manufactured before January 2016 were made before the prohibition so can have throttles. My own kit is from 2014 and has a full acting throttle. So my question is, How does anyone prove the age of a bike - either way? No plates, no registration, threw the receipt away 'cos it's out of guarentee !

Reactions: mike killay

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The response to some disabled people being legally excluded from using an eBike shouldn't be that this is not a problem because they might be able to use some other type of vehicle. It should be, in my opinion, to ask why are they being excluded, is it fair and should the law be changed.
Your approach is sensible in my view Falesh. For the reasons I've posted above, pedelec law is never going to be changed, but there's no reason why there shouldn't be a motability style exclusion allowing full throttles for disability.

Alternatively just use anyway as AK has said above. No-one is ever going to do anything about that, so long as it's an otherwise legal pedelec.

Capt Sisko

Pedelecer
May 5, 2018
Shropshire
Isn't the simplest solution (for the individual) to go out and buy a second hand pre change in the law ebike with a throttle? Okay this doesn't answer the long term situation but at the moment there must be some good second hand ones out there Falesh could take advantage of.

Falesh

Jan 15, 2019
Isn't the simplest solution (for the individual) to go out and buy a second hand pre change in the law ebike with a throttle? Okay this doesn't answer the long term situation but at the moment there must be some good second hand ones out there Falesh could take advantage of.
That is an idea I thought about, but in the end I bought a new one. If it broke down I could be royally screwed as I can't cycle or walk my way home. I'd have to lock the bike to something next to where I broke down and try to get a lift. I didn't want to risk that so I got a new and reliable bike.

Ja_T

May 24, 2018
I can't use my bike at the moment because of a bad knee and it's my only reliable form of transport to and from work. I don't have a car license and couldn't afford to run one if I did, same with a moped or motorcycle.
I don't feel that there is any difference using my bike with a throttle or without, the pedals work as a throttle and it goes the same speed, you can leave it in 1st gear so you aren't actually putting any effort in so you may as well be using a throttle anyway. Also this would allow for scooters to be used which are ideal for people to take on trains etc due to lightweight. It's time the law caught up with the time and tech available.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I would not suggest going down the lines of moped as this would preclude using the bike on certain classifications of cycle path.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can't use my bike at the moment because of a bad knee and it's my only reliable form of transport to and from work. I don't have a car license and couldn't afford to run one if I did, same with a moped or motorcycle.
I don't feel that there is any difference using my bike with a throttle or without, the pedals work as a throttle and it goes the same speed, you can leave it in 1st gear so you aren't actually putting any effort in so you may as well be using a throttle anyway. Also this would allow for scooters to be used which are ideal for people to take on trains etc due to lightweight. It's time the law caught up with the time and tech available.
we discussed this subject a few times.
Basically, the law stops manufacturers (and importers) like myself to sell pedelecs that have twist and go throttle, unless it is limited to 6kph.
Lots of people don't pay attention to the details.
1. the new regulation applies only to manufacturers. If you fit a throttle after you bought your bike, the regulation does not apply to you. That's why the police are not interested in the throttle and those who convert their bikes using a kit with a throttle has nothing to fear because it does not apply to them.
2. if your throttle requires you to pedal a turn before becoming operative, then it's not a twist and go. From standstill, if you push on the throttle and the bike does not zoom off, then the regulation does not apply to your bike.

Let us know if your bike has a twist and go throttle.

• Informative
Reactions: Kev.k and gw8izr

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The issue with scooters as mentioned in the last few paragraphs is that they are unregulated, their speeds are too high for pavement/mixed pedestrian use.
Using such a fast vehicle on the pavement is not acceptable esp when they are capable of 30mph/50kmh.