Help! Best Bike Under £2000 to Derestrict?

Gtechelec

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 11, 2019
As the title says, Best Bike Under £2000 to Derestrict?

And please not a bike with the weird long seat bars. An ebike that feels *mostly* like a push bike is what I want (just heavier, naturally). Excuse my lack of technical jargon - I know a bit more than it sounds from that brain-fart 'seat bar' part I said.

Any additional information you want to answer better... I will give immediately. So feel free to ask.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You need to give idea of your fitness, where you will be riding (hills?, mud?, etc), distances you expect to travel.

I assume you are aware of the legal situation if you intend to take it on road or in any public places such as bridleways? And of the practical situation; that you are very unlikely to be caught.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
. An ebike that feels *mostly* like a push bike is what I want (just heavier, naturally).
Stop kidding yourself no such thing, just buy a push bike.
Anything with a battery/motor mostly doesn't feel like a push bike.

My bikes in PAS 1, 13% assist approx. is about the lowest power output decent controller out put and it is far from a normal push bike feel.

• Disagree
Reactions: Artstu

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
My Specialized Carbon Creo feels just like a normal bike weighing in at just under 14Kg but costs more than £2000.
My carbon Giant TCX Advanced Pro feels exactly like a normal bike more than yours. It cost a bit less and only weighs 8kg, and it's derestricted. Is your derestricted?

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
My carbon Giant TCX Advanced Pro feels exactly like a normal bike more than yours. It cost a bit less and only weighs 8kg, and it's derestricted. Is your derestricted?
And the relevance here is what? we were talking about E-bikes which yours is not....

Gtechelec

Nov 11, 2019
You need to give idea of your fitness, where you will be riding (hills?, mud?, etc), distances you expect to travel.

I assume you are aware of the legal situation if you intend to take it on road or in any public places such as bridleways? And of the practical situation; that you are very unlikely to be caught.

Sorry for the late reply. Well I'll be using it on roads and I'm not particularly fit (for now but I'll improve QUICK ---- but tbh ignore other parts of the post than this: *What's are the best bike/s to Derestrict that's under £2000 new? Preferably can be easily switched back to unrestricted too*

Gtechelec

Nov 11, 2019
Stop kidding yourself no such thing, just buy a push bike.
Anything with a battery/motor mostly doesn't feel like a push bike.

My bikes in PAS 1, 13% assist approx. is about the lowest power output decent controller out put and it is far from a normal push bike feel.
Sorry for replying late my friend. Here's a copy paste from my comment above. It's all that matters to my post. Ignore everything else I said.

*What are the best bike/s to Derestrict that's under £2000 new? Preferably can be easily switched back to unrestricted too*

PS I agree, ebikes just don't feel like normal bikes. And that's okay.

Gtechelec

Nov 11, 2019
My Specialized Carbon Creo feels just like a normal bike weighing in at just under 14Kg but costs more than £2000.
Is it readily derestrictable (and preferably able to be put back to restricted quite readily too)?

OllieB

Mar 25, 2021
The way I did it was to buy a reasonably priced bike, a 1000 watt Bafang mid drive motor kit and finally a battery (couldn't afford to buy it all in one go). Relatively easy to put together and as for restrictions, I've yet to find any. Let's say that I might get a speeding ticket in a 30mph zone, (if I was to ever go that fast of course ;) ). The bike was £600, the Bafang Motor kit £610 and the battery £300 from Germany, so a nice bike for under £2k. Just to add, I opted for the battery fitted on a rear rack as I wanted the bike to look like a normal bike and not an ebike. At a glance you wouldn't think it's an ebike. Handling with the battery on back is just fine despite some saying it puts the bike out of balance, it doesn't with a mid drive.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

And please not a bike with the weird long seat bars. An ebike that feels *mostly* like a push bike is what I want (just heavier, naturally). Excuse my lack of technical jargon - I know a bit more than it sounds from that brain-fart 'seat bar' part I said.

Any additional information you want to answer better... I will give immediately. So feel free to ask.
It's impossible to give a sensible answer to your question. all bikes can be derestricted. Some are easier than others. That translates your question into "What's the best bike?"

That's like saying "What's the best food?" Is it porrige, which is very cheap and gives you loads of energy; is it a Mars bar that helps you to work rest and play; Goji berries because they're packed full of anti-oxidants; lobster because it tastes so nice; sardines because they're ethically caught and packed full of omega 3; or lettuce because you don't get fat on it? What's the answer?

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
OP wants a derestricted bike. The clue is in the title!
If you bothered to read on you would have also seen that he wanted something that could easily switched back which a 1000watt Bafang cant as it is not 250watt, Try and pay attention.

OllieB

Mar 25, 2021
If you bothered to read on you would have also seen that he wanted something that could easily switched back which a 1000watt Bafang cant as it is not 250watt, Try and pay attention.
By programming the motor via the appropriate Bafang software, restrictions can be imposed such as speed and power output. The wattage stated on the motor is maximum wattage, not necessarily the wattage you would run the motor. Hence it is possible to programme the Bafang motor to suit. It's a bit like having a car that has a capable top speed of 100 mph, you wouldn't be driving the car at 100mph all the time (most of us wouldn't ever).

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
any motor that lets you change the settings in the controller is not road legal as it is classed as a off road switch as it can be changed like 99% of all the kits you can buy on ebay ect.

just remove the dongle and it will be back to stock speed but that bafang will **** all over it but it will eat the battery pretty fast depending on how much you turn up the amps.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
By programming the motor via the appropriate Bafang software, restrictions can be imposed such as speed and power output. The wattage stated on the motor is maximum wattage, not necessarily the wattage you would run the motor. Hence it is possible to programme the Bafang motor to suit. It's a bit like having a car that has a capable top speed of 100 mph, you wouldn't be driving the car at 100mph all the time (most of us wouldn't ever).
As soundwave says, it's not like a car that can go at 100mph but doesn't. It isn't even the max power the motor can deliver that matters: most motors can deliver much more than the rated amount for a short time (600w on a 250w motor is fairly typical, quite a bit more than that for some). What matters legally (not logically or practically) is the rating of the motor which should be stamped on it.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes, but your post was about the legality, not about how easy it would be to make legal. A BBSHD is one of the easiest systems to convert back to legal - just two screws, one bolt and a ring-nut!

Reactions: OllieB