Best Electric Bike??

Sarge

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2008
Bridgend. CF31
Looking at your Pedelecs site / A to B / our Eurofriends sites.....has anyone any opinion as to the best value buck for buck for a 'leccy bike for £2000.00 or under (preferably well under)

Seems to me you can pay £5k or £6k for a USA job (where rules don't apply) or a Swiss Flyer for well over 2 grand.

But looking at the home market with our nanny state and Health and Safety Regs, we are restricted to 15 mph and 250 watts (may change) and a price range which reflects this to between £350 and the top end of 2K.

So is a Powacycle /Powabyke / Wisper / Kalkhoff etc. better value for money if you pay more?

Under this definition Kalkhoff are best, but each company has its gains and losses.

I like the look of the Powabyke X 24 but small battery / miles.
The Cytronex looks the business but don't fancy that switching system.
That Wisper 905 se is a real brute and would demolish my trip to work.
Kalkoff seem to have everything, but do I really want to pedal my guts out all day?......a bit of a throttle rest would be nice.

Don't own any 'leccy bike at the moment but this will be my retirement pressie (unless she fancies a cruise!)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My advice is to travel to places where you can try a typical hub motor bike and a Panasonic system bike, for example a Kalkhoff and a Wisper 905se.

Then decide which system suits you best, they are very different in character.

If the Panasonic system is chosen, just choose the maker with the style of model that you like, since the qualities are similar to all.

If its the Wisper type, try a few hub motor bikes at different prices to find the minimum standard you can accept long term, but check out the battery warranties offered, they are costly to replace.

Gepida uk

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
Hi Sarge,

Another very good quality electric bike on the market is the Gepida, The Gepida uses the Yamaha crank drive system and battery, we sell these bikes through our network of dealers across the UK and supply 3 different frame styles, we have the Reptila 1000 for ladies and gents available in various frame sizes, Sirmium MTB and the Nedao beech cruiser. All our bikes are priced at £1599.00 and come complete with a comprehensive 2 year warranty throughout.

You can visit our website to view our bikes and dealers at Gepida Electric Bikes

Regards

Aidan
Gepida UK
info@gepidaelecrticbikes.co.uk

dan

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2009
question is what do you want from your Ebike, what use will you put it to.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
The Cytronex looks the business but don't fancy that switching system.
It does sound a bit odd but actually works really well. If you get a chance do try one out.

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland
How long is a piece of string?

I guess there are almost as many opinions as there are different e bikes out there. IMO its my Cytronex for being light, sleek, subtle in design and power delivery but I'm sure others have different views with equally valid reasons

Try listing what you want from a bike and the forum may be able to narrow down your choice.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
It does sound a bit odd but actually works really well. If you get a chance do try one out.
I agree. I was sceptical before trying one but now having used the system for 18 months I think it is great - so much better than holding a throttle open all the time (hand cramp becomes a real issue after about 5 miles).

Range might be an issue but not the system.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I think I have said before the best electric bike is the one I currently own :)

My previous best electric bike is my Cytronex which I now have for sale.

PS Stumpi I love your sig lol

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Lol excellent.

Jerry

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
I have the same motorbike - great minds and all that.

Out of interest, are there any bikes that you can use throttle or pedal sensor or both?

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
I have the same motorbike - great minds and all that.

Out of interest, are there any bikes that you can use throttle or pedal sensor or both?
Dzien dobry,

well these days most of bikes do offer the throttle option and Pedal sensor. Sadly throttle only option may not stay with us for much longer if EN15194:2009 comes to power in the UK

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Dzien dobry,

well these days most of bikes do offer the throttle option and Pedal sensor. Sadly throttle only option may not stay with us for much longer if EN15194:2009 comes to power in the UK
Will this mean bike's with throttle's will be outlawed or will existing one's be allowed to continue?
Tony.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Will this mean bike's with throttle's will be outlawed or will existing one's be allowed to continue?
Tony.
It's already been ruled that the change in the law will not be retrospective, all legal existing bikes will be able to continue in use indefinitely.

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
As Flecc says, the legislation won't affect existing bikes, but I think it's worth being pedantic about "throttles being outlawed"

It's still under consultation, but what's being proposed is that new electric bikes who's motors can can propel you when you're not pedaling will automatically be classed as motor vehicles.

So new ebikes could still have throttles as long as either: the motor cuts out if you stop pedaling; or the rider has a motorbike license and helmet and the bike has been registered, MOTed, insured etc.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I would love to know how they are going to enforce this especially for us DIYers :rolleyes: .

There must also be so many DIY projects so I wonder how they would be effected say if you moved an old kit from one bike to another. I currently have a spare Tongxin kit so would I not be able to fit that or if the motor packed up on my EBrompton would I be unable to swap it out or the controller etc etc.

For those of us running within the 15mph restriction this all seems like total nonsense :mad:

Regards

Jerry

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
As Flecc says, the legislation won't affect existing bikes, but I think it's worth being pedantic about "throttles being outlawed"

It's still under consultation, but what's being proposed is that new electric bikes who's motors can can propel you when you're not pedaling will automatically be classed as motor vehicles.

So new ebikes could still have throttles as long as either: the motor cuts out if you stop pedaling; or the rider has a motorbike license and helmet and the bike has been registered, MOTed, insured etc.
that is absolutely true what you said

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
I would love to know how they are going to enforce this especially for us DIYers :rolleyes: .

There must also be so many DIY projects so I wonder how they would be effected say if you moved an old kit from one bike to another. I currently have a spare Tongxin kit so would I not be able to fit that or if the motor packed up on my EBrompton would I be unable to swap it out or the controller etc etc.

For those of us running within the 15mph restriction this all seems like total nonsense :mad:

Regards

Jerry
Law is one thing and DIY is another. off course DIYers will out of law but the chances of being caught for throttle are very little anyway. :cool:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Regards

Jerry
There wouldn't be a problem here Jerry, existing motor equipment will be regarded the same as an existing bike. Equally, an existing bike like your e-Brompton could be repaired with replacement units, whether identical or not.

An existing e-bike could have virtually all its parts changed over time but still be throttle legal, just so long as a core item like the frame was the original. Although the risks of non-compliance detection are almost non-existent, it could be a good idea when the new legislation is introduced to take a date stamped photo of an existing e-bike, clearly showing any distinctive frame markings. Most digital cameras have a date stamping option in their menus.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks for the reply Andy/Flecc.

Jerry