Best front hub kit for a SRAM Automatix equipped bike

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
A while ago I built up a bike using a Ridgeback hybrid frame. I used a SRAM Automatix, 2-speed hub for simplicity. It was intended for a canal towpath commute that didn't happen. It is now a bit defunct, as it's not very good on hills, or, better put, I'm not very good on hills!

Anyway, I am thinking of a front hub ebike kit for it. I would like it to be derestrictable, fit 700c wheels and preferably have a frame mounted battery. Cyclotricity have something that would suit, but I thought I'd see what other suggestions there are here.

I intend to fit the kit myself.

D

Deleted member 4366

Can we see some pictures of the bike? What sort of forks does it have?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Other kits:
Panda sell the Xiongda 2 speed hub motor kit but not for disc brakes.
Woosh BPM big bear kit is very good and will get you up the hills.
Cyclezee sell top notch excellent kits.
Oxydrive kits are very good but only rear wheel with bottle battery option.
Or direct route from China like BMSBattery with the neat 09 bottle battery with intergrated controller inc LCD, brakes levers/sensor, grips, pas and plug and play water proof connectors for the wiring and add a wheel/hub, you may have to wire in a speed sensor as a diy job.
Choose the motor winding for your needs high rpm for faster riding, low rpm for great hill climbing or an in between winding for good hill climbing and decent 19/20mph flat speed.

Reactions: Croxden
D

Deleted member 4366

Before we get all his juices going, we need to know whether any of them can be fitted to his forks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
True:oops:.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
D

Deleted member 4366

What are the forks made of. Use a magnet if you don't know.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Aluminium

D

Deleted member 4366

Can we see a photo of the actual drop-outs with the wheel out?

Swytch Bike

Trade Member
Sep 10, 2014
Other kits:
Panda sell the Xiongda 2 speed hub motor kit but not for disc brakes.
Woosh BPM big bear kit is very good and will get you up the hills.
Cyclezee sell top notch excellent kits.
Oxydrive kits are very good but only rear wheel with bottle battery option.
Or direct route from China like BMSBattery with the neat 09 bottle battery with intergrated controller inc LCD, brakes levers/sensor, grips, pas and plug and play water proof connectors for the wiring and add a wheel/hub, you may have to wire in a speed sensor as a diy job.
Choose the motor winding for your needs high rpm for faster riding, low rpm for great hill climbing or an in between winding for good hill climbing and decent 19/20mph flat speed.
Thanks for the reference Nealh, just FYI to anyone interested we now have the Xiongda kits with disc brake fittings for rear wheel in 48V

Chrisp

Just Joined
Jan 24, 2016
A while ago I built up a bike using a Ridgeback hybrid frame. I used a SRAM Automatix, 2-speed hub for simplicity. It was intended for a canal towpath commute that didn't happen. It is now a bit defunct, as it's not very good on hills, or, better put, I'm not very good on hills!

Anyway, I am thinking of a front hub ebike kit for it. I would like it to be derestrictable, fit 700c wheels and preferably have a frame mounted battery. Cyclotricity have something that would suit, but I thought I'd see what other suggestions there are here.

I intend to fit the kit myself.
I am in the opposite position from you. I have purchased a single speed Reid , then fitted the basic 250w Dillenger with 14aH battery. A picture has been included. I have just ordered an sram automatic for it, as it allows a lot of freewheeling. I run out of puff about 40km/h, so would like an overdrive. Managed top speed of 46 on a downhill stretch today (the speedo tells you things like that). At this very early stage I can recommend the 250/350 kit. The fittings are all colour-coded. Good fortune with your project. regards.

Attachments