Help! Best kit for hilly area for 16 stone and incredibly weak leg muscles

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
Hi,
I would really like some advice, please, on a rear motor torque control kit for my wife who has a disease which makes her leg muscles weak. She would need throttle only option too (to rest) if this is possible with this type of kit. Half hour journeys only. Any suggestions? We haven't even bought the bike yet and will be looking for a low step type as she can't lift her legs very high to get on.

So far only looked at Woosh which doesn't have a throttle but I haven't talked to them yet to ask if it can.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
With weak let muscles you may be better with a cadence sensor kit. Even without the throttle, as long as you/she can keep the pedals turning (no effort from the legs) it will power the motor.

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
You may be right, I just read this on the Woosh kit:
"Torque sensor does not suit everyone because you have to pedal all the time and harder on hills ."

So apart from speed, which isn't needed for my wife who won't go over 15mph (probably only 10), is there any benefit to a 48v kit? I was thinking a 36v capable of 20A continuous.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
48v will give a lot more torque, which is important for hilly area hub kit. The most important thing will be that the hub motor is would for high torque at low speed. I think a lot of Woosh's kits are but they will advise before selling. (I think they are very short of choice at the moment.)

I have seen on other threads that a lot of competitors (eg Yose) are selling kits wound for higher speed but less hill climbing capability. But treat that with a pinch of salt, there are several others who can give more precise answers and they'll probably answer soon.

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
I have seen on other threads that a lot of competitors (eg Yose) are selling kits wound for higher speed but less hill climbing capability. But treat that with a pinch of salt, there are several others who can give more precise answers and they'll probably answer soon.
Thanks, I will check.

All suggestions welcome - 26" rear cassette.

I did read that Yose had lowered the rpm recently - hope this is true as just bought and fitted one on my bike which I hope will be good on hills (I am fitter than my wife but suffer from CFS).

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Your wife needs a simple cadence pedal sensor bike with a throttle not TS drive bike.
With the cadence type sensor she only needs to ghost pedal to get the power with the TS she has to exert good energy for the system to give more power.

Last edited:

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
So look for cadence (with throttle) 48v 250/350w rear kit wound for slow and capable of 18 or 20 amps sustained?

Last edited:

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
Is this a Torque Sensor kit with throttle I see before me?:

Mid drive isn't what I was looking for as pedals have to continue to turn of course, but shows it's possible. Have to find one with hub motor if they are starting to appear.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes the TSDZ2 is TS drive with throttle.
Some TSDZ2 are configured without throttle and can't be retrofitted.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I still can't see why you are looking at TS with throttle for the wife ?
A cadence with throttle kit will be better, at least then you have the option of ghost pedalling when the thumb gets tired or aches.

Last edited:

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
I still can't see why you are looking at TS with throttle for the wife ?
A cadence with throttle kit will be better, at least then you have the option of ghost pedalling when the thumb gets tried or aches.
Well, the cost might put me off if they do exist, but my wife needs to exercise her legs not just use a throttle or ghost pedal and the feeling of the TS type is arguably the best experience making a person feel bionic. I rode one once and it was great fun.

But I can't find one with throttle overide so back to the cadence 250/350 rear geared hub capable of 18 to 20A continuous to get her up the hills, if anyone can recommend a kit.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A torque sensor motor will be completely wrong for her and offers absolutely no advantage over a cadence sensor one. She can still get all the exercise she wants with a cadence sensor. The only difference is that she has a choice about how hard she wants to pedal.

The TSDZ2 is not as reliable as a BBS01 and a BBS01 isn't as reliable, nor as cheap as a hub-motor. The only justification for a TSDZ2 is that you're some sort of weirdo that likes to pretend that you don't have a motor helping you.

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
The TSDZ2 is not as reliable as a BBS01 and a BBS01 isn't as reliable, nor as cheap as a hub-motor. The only justification for a TSDZ2 is that you're some sort of weirdo that likes to pretend that you don't have a motor helping you.
Blimey! I'm not even looking at mid-drive kits. And I am electrifying both our bikes because I love having motor assist.

There must be a reason the most expensive ebikes have TS (so I read). The one I tried a few years ago was a fantastic feeling and didn't feel like the bike was slightly running away with me while building up to the pas speed (like the excellent Yose kit I have just got). But then I haven't got a disability in my legs. What have you got against them?

Last edited:

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
The TSDZ2 is not as reliable as a BBS01 and a BBS01 isn't as reliable, nor as cheap as a hub-motor.
Maybe be show a recommendation via a link, to a cheap hub with suitable peripherals (Controller, throttle etc).
Like you, I would not recommend a TSDZ2 for anyone with a leg strength disability.......

After installing and using a TSDZ2, in fact I wouldn't recommend it full stop..... Too unreliable!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
What have you got against them?
Lack of choice about how hard you need to pedal. The only advantage torque sensor systems have is that you get more precise and instant power control, which is useful when you're doing serious off-road riding or if you were in a cycle display team, but it has no advantage for touring, commuting or riding down to the shop to get a bottle of milk.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Maybe be show a recommendation via a link, to a cheap hub with suitable peripherals (Controller, throttle etc).
I get fed up doing that because they always introduce silly constraints afterwards, especially when they haven't given enough info in the first place, and they rarely take any notice of what I suggest anyway. Unless someone is stuck or has very specific requirements, I try to avoid making suggestions.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
I get fed up doing that because they always introduce silly constraints afterwards, especially when they haven't given enough info in the first place, and they rarely take any notice of what I suggest anyway. Unless someone is stuck or has very specific requirements, I try to avoid making suggestions.
Fair comment. Suppose that is one of the pitfalls of participation in forums.......

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
maybe it's because you recommend buying outside the UK.

• :D
Reactions: MontyPAS

Dali

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2020
I thank everyone for their help but I am not being held responsible for other members previous comments. I can find nothing wrong with debate on a subject to understand it or adding to it. If no-one wants to help with a specific kit that is fine and completely understand, but I would like help with possible specifications otherwise what is the point of this website?

• Agree
Reactions: MontyPAS

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
maybe it's because you recommend buying outside the UK.
Availability and variety is not good in the UK at the moment. If kit is needed it can sometimes be the only option;)