Best place to buy Tongxin motors ?

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
It would be cheaper than a Cytronex, but not as good! The Cytronex uses better base bikes and Mark is down the learning curve on fitting the electrics. He also takes a decent gross margin - which he deserves as he has been an innovator in the market.

I wouldn't over-estimate the sophistication of the electronics - likely to be a standard Tongxin controller (which do fail if the application is not set up right) and a battery with a charger!

If I were you I'd cancel the order. Given you no longer want it you are entitled to do that and it would save unnecessary shipping + conserve the stock for those who do want to order!

Either way, good luck!

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
The phrase 'expensive battery technology' was meant as a wry comment and not an over estimation-however battery prices [and chargers ]cannot be under estimated.Regarding the Cytronex -having enjoyed one for the past year I can say it rides very well even with controller failiure.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Do these Cytronex bikes use Tongxin motor hubs then ?

I have just looked at the Cytronex cycles really subtle assisted fit but pretty expensive, though I can see the point about the developer charging an overhead for all the intial development.

I love the Genesis Day One. Having just converted my 18 speed MTB I barely use 2 gears.

Looks like I see second e-bike project looming, I am hooked :rolleyes:

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
The Cytronex is the best engineered e-bike [water proof !!!] I have owned easily achieving 20 miles daily on my weekly commute with MODERATE pedaling.This did not include riding under my own steam -always using the battery.With the 190 hub cruising speeds were around 16.5 -18 m.p.h -hill climbing was good.Cytronex are producing a kit apparently-you could always email for details.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I am planning 2 e-bike projects:

A Brompton conversion using the Bafang Suzhou 8-Fun Q/SWXK 36V 255rpm motor (100mm hub to fit into original cold-widened fork) laced into the 16" front wheel using a 1-cross pattern (406mm, 1 3/8 - 20mm rim, 36 holes). This is my main bike, so it's a higher priority project. My early calculations show that I will save 150/200 GBP on ready-made kits, but I do it mainly for the fun factor, not for financial reasons.

My second project is using the Tongxin 36V motor, laced into either a 26" wheel (which is what the motor is designed for, 185rpm I think), or into a 16" wheel for my wife's Merc (Brompton clone). With the former, the problem is that I don't have a 26" bike yet ;) The Dahon folding bike with the Alfine 8-speed hub looks amazing, but it comes at a price so I'm more likely to experiment with the latter option to begin with: my wife's bike. The main implication is that the 16" wheel will run at slow rpm, great for tackling hills but not able to reach 15mph-20km/h ... which will make the bike a lame cruiser. I don't mind lacing/re-lacing wheels though, it's part of the fun of DIY :) In other words, the Tongxin is for experimentation purposes, the purchase price was reasonable so it's a no-brainer really.

Hopefully all of this will happen before the end of the year, but sourcing parts and waiting for deliveries makes for some stressful impatient times :(

I'll let you know how it goes. :D

Cheers, Daniel

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
The Dahon folding bike with the Alfine 8-speed hub looks amazing
Interesting bike I agree but doesn't that have aluminium forks ? I thought aluminium forks and hub motors are a no no ?

Regards

Jerry

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Interesting bike I agree but doesn't that have aluminium forks ? I thought aluminium forks and hub motors are a no no ?
Torque arm:

Last edited:

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
I've located the invoice for my Electric Wheel kit ;
Nano kit less battery with 260 motor with 700 wheel build -Mavic rim -inclusive of P+P cost £235.00.
£60.00 for fitting to my spare Torq 1+ £40 .00 for pickup and delivery should I use their service.
Total cost of Nano kit[without battery] fitted to a suitable bike comes to £335.00.
Pretty reasonable ?

cirrus18

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Cornwall. UK
I've located the invoice for my Electric Wheel kit ;
Nano kit less battery with 260 motor with 700 wheel build -Mavic rim -inclusive of P+P cost £235.00.
£60.00 for fitting to my spare Torq 1+ £40 .00 for pickup and delivery should I use their service.
Total cost of Nano kit[without battery] fitted to a suitable bike comes to £335.00.
Pretty reasonable ?
Good God there standard kit price is absolutely unbelievable at £649!! You are getting everything as listed below except a 6 ampere hour battery for a total cost of £235. This means that a battery bought with their kit would have cost you, and I am just about falling out of my chair laughing now, £414. Bloody mad.
A 10 ampere hour battery, nearly twice the capacity than the one they supply, purchased direct from China costs around £110.
I know where I am going to take my business in future.

What is included? Nano | The Electric Wheel Company
The standard nanoTM kit costs £649, including VAT and comprises:

* nano-motorTM fitted in new wheel.
* 6Ah High Capacity Extra-long life Lithium Polymer battery - gives an effective range of over 40 miles. Contained in case fixed to the seat post and neatly out of the way behind the seat.
* Battery charger
* Controller, used to feed the required amount of power, as determined by the setting of the twist grip, from the battery to the motor.
* All necessary additional wiring.
* Twist grip throttle (and matching handlebar grip for other side).
* Twin safety brake levers - immediately cuts power to the motor when either brake is applied.

What is not included?

* Shipping bike to us and back once fitted.
* The bike.
* Tyre and inner tube.

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
My point is the nano kit + wheel build is £235 all in -I already have a battery.
The total price[with the small capacity battery] is par the course with any off the shelf kit available in this country- Ezee around £900-yes I know the battery is a higher capacity-but the cost is higher.Ping batteries and Kenwin controllers are far better value for money but most people buy off the shelf. I think the Nano kit is over priced likewise Ezee -Kalkoff -Cytronex and Wisper also Mars bars and vet fees. In this instance rightly or wrongly you would be part paying for convenience --it's available in one hit -take it or leave it.
Yes I know -you'll leave it !!!!
P.s. the battery with charger comes in at around £350-deduct the £60 fitting cost.

Last edited:

cirrus18

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Cornwall. UK
I think the Nano kit is over priced likewise Ezee -Kalkoff -Cytronex and Wisper.
I am glad that you agree that this kit is overpriced. Just think, just a few years back, before the Internet and informative forums like this, it was very easy for shops to overprice things without anybody being really aware of it. Now, we can take advantage of accumulated consumer knowledge and fight back. Long live the Internet.

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
Yes overpriced but on par with the industry standard in this country---no more-no less. What really lets Electric Wheel down[and always has done ] is customer communication -but then there are plenty of horror stories concerning E-bike suppliers and their customers.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
What really lets Electric Wheel down[and always has done ] is customer communication -but then there are plenty of horror stories concerning E-bike suppliers and their customers.
Here's my view on this:

Dealing with China-based suppliers can be complicated, due to geographical distances (deliveries, returns), language issues, cultural differences, trade-only bulk orders, advance payments, fluctuating currency exchange rates, taxes, etc. :(

In that light, I think it is fair that businesses based in the UK charge over the odds, not only to cover their running costs and to compensate themselves for the risks taken, but also to sustain a level of customer service and friendly proximity that people expect in the UK. :)

In other words, I really don't mind paying for "quality" (not only of the product itself, but also at after-sales stage), but I personally can't tolerate that some UK-based companies have louzy communications and display no proactive care for potential customers. It's just not good business practice, that's all. I'll part my money elsewhere, thank you. :mad:

There are several good examples of dealers on this forum, who make sure to be part of the community. Well done to them, because their reputation is top-notch, they accept blame and criticism and as a result their products improve over time, so does their customer service...and their sales increase. It's a win-win situation. Simples :p

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
Yes -hats off to David from Wisper and Powabykes Frank ---they always go the extra mile !!

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Could you put one of these Tongxins in a 700c wheel ?

Jerry

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Could you put one of these Tongxins in a 700c wheel ?
Yes, the version of the motor for 26" wheels will suit 700c fine, and you will go slightly faster (due to the larger diameter).

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks Daniel.

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Ok another question. From the Tongxin specs I note the hub is only 82mm wide so would you need to fit spacers/washers for forks that were 100mm wide ?

Even then its probably tight for the nuts as the shaft is only 133mm ?

I spoke to Frank and he said you could bend the forks in ?

I guess if you padded it out with a couple of 3mm washers and then tightened the forks in it would work :)

Regards

Jerry

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
There's also a 100mm wide Tongxin (the original design). Yes, steel forks are relatively easy to widen, so the reverse operation shouldn't be too hard. Just need to make sure the dropouts face each other correctly by re-adjusting them as well.
Cheers, Dan

Ok another question. From the Tongxin specs I note the hub is only 82mm wide so would you need to fit spacers/washers for forks that were 100mm wide ?

Even then its probably tight for the nuts as the shaft is only 133mm ?

I spoke to Frank and he said you could bend the forks in ?

I guess if you padded it out with a couple of 3mm washers and then tightened the forks in it would work :)

Regards

Jerry

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I don't read German, but it looks like the Pedelec forum there is organizing a group-buy for Tongxin motors:

Tongxin Sammelbestellung - Seite 6 - Pedelec-Forum

Date : 2009-11-15

Invoice

Product ID

Description

Quantity

Price/1FOBdongguanUSD

Amount/USD

Tongxin motor TXM-F80

36V / 26 Zoll / 195 U/min

Tongxin motor TXM-F80

36V / 20 Zoll / 260 U/min